suspension choices

s3_kev

Stage2'd!!!!!!
Reaction score
what's the preferred suspension setup on the s3? I'm looking at making my s3 OEM+ so don't want to go crazy with it just lower a little with some wheel spacers to get it sitting nice, but can't decide over Springs, Shocks and Springs or maybe Coilovers.

I'm assuming this topic has been started and asked about many times before but I can't find much info tbh.

can people post pics or links so I can see the stance of there cars.

cheers

It has been covered a lot of times.

Here's a few to get things moving....

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...57-definitive-suspension-thread-required.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/131647-stance-thread.html

And so on...

It all comes down to the look you want,and how much you want to pay,plus the trade-off between looks and function.

If you want decent coilovers at a decent price(i.e. about £1.4k),then the kW v3 is about as good as you'll get,along with the equivalent Bilstein setup.

There are cheaper to be had,such as the V1 from about £900,and lower still from others such as AP and JOM.

The cheaper you go,the poorer the results,but all of the ones I've mentioned are good in their price bands.

This is what's on mine....

kW Clubsports with adjustable topmounts.

And it looks like this.....

But it's about as far as you'd want for a road friendly car,as you need some compromise between handling,and a degree of comfort.

Don't get drawn in by lowering the car too much either,as you end up with something that scrapes along the ground,and can't go over bumps,without resorting things like air ride.

Reactions: s3_kev
there are also weitec coilover made by kw.
it depends what do you really want. coilovers are ideal upgrade.

here's mine on kw v3
attachment.php

Hi s3 kev well my a3 was fitted with FK coilovers when I bought it, it was slammed hard to the floor and I couldn't clear speed bumps, I tried to raise the coilovers only to find they where ssized, so bought a set of AP coilovers from dpm performance for £430, and what a fantastic bit of kit, here's how my car sits now on them ;)

dae32254cbd21486c6d2ca5e0d229c32.jpg

So for me I love the ap stuff, firm and smooth hand,ing ;)

If you don't want to go crazy as you've mentioned then a set of H&R springs and ARBs will give you a good improvement in handling and then maybe add some spacers for visual.

Damian @ DPM Performance

If you don't want to go crazy as you've mentioned then a set of H&R springs and ARBs will give you a good improvement in handling and then maybe add some spacers for visual.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Excellent advice.

ARBs make a huge difference.

I have KW front and rear ARBs on mine, 25mm KW springs and 11mm Forge spacers which fill the arches nicely. Ride is very slightly firmer than OEM but still comfortable and ideal for my use (fast road, not track). The biggest difference are the anti roll bars.

Damian @ DPM Performance

cheers for that, I'd rather do things on a lower budget on this car as I spent thousands on my 8l a lot with you also lol.
I had thought about just springs as it's the cheapest option, but is it a compromise worth taking? I don't want to end up with knackered shocks a year down the line when I could have saved a little more and gone for say Ap coilovers..I know a decent set of KW's is the answer.
also with the H+R's will I still be getting reverse rake? I've seen about the eibach's giving a more leveled stance, are they the ones listed on your site? As it only mentions the front lowering on the specs

cheers

After having a read through the above links, seems the eibach's would give a better 'stance' which is what I'm after but compromise on handling.. Perhaps I'd be better of with the H+R's and have to deal with reverse rake.
But the H+R springs and 10 and 12mm spacer option is probably about as far as I want to take things at the mo. It's a nice look with a hint of improvement.

Eibach springs are only for the front on s3. you'll be using oem ones on the back.

Go for AP's mate, it doesn't take long for the lowering springs to start to get bouncy. Mine was on 62k miles and by 65k the springs had become stupidly bouncy. AP's are absolutely gorgeous to ride on, slightly harder yet more comfy than standard. Don't waste time and money like I did on springs.

Go for AP's mate, it doesn't take long for the lowering springs to start to get bouncy. Mine was on 62k miles and by 65k the springs had become stupidly bouncy. AP's are absolutely gorgeous to ride on, slightly harder yet more comfy than standard. Don't waste time and money like I did on springs.

that at was the answer I was looking for tbh, I had H+R springs on my 8L and ended up putting Ap's on it for the same reason, wasn't sure if the 8p shocks would be more beefy and cope with the 20mm lower.

cheers

H&R Cup Kit (springs and dampers) :

From what you've said now it may be worth while saving up a little longer and going straight for some coilovers, this way you'll get the exact stance you want.

Damian @ DPM Performance

that at was the answer I was looking for tbh, I had H+R springs on my 8L and ended up putting Ap's on it for the same reason, wasn't sure if the 8p shocks would be more beefy and cope with the 20mm lower.

cheers

they might cope but I have read a few s3 owners posts that state they are fed up with the bouncy ness of them. It's only till you put decent suspension on you realise how bad they were.

I'm looking to go Bilstein pss10's and H&R ARB's in the not so distant future. Ill get pictures up when they are fitted. Anyone got any advice as to other additions while I'm at it? I'm tempted to get poly urethane bushes all the way around seeing as the suspensions getting swapped, only it worth while however

May as well chuck in my two bob's worth for my set up which is Bilsten PSS10s. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the ride quality and overall improvement in handling/cornering. The car is so much more composed through corners, handles bumps better at speed and now provides so much more confidence.

I'm running the shocks on setting 5 of 10 and the ability to change the setting easily was a factor in me choosing the Bilsteins.

IMG_4286-L.jpg

Reactions: Dean_T
Nice stance Lima whats the drop all round?

I asked the suspension shop to drop it 15mm all round. I forgot to take measurements before taking the car in so I can't verify exactly, but it looks fine to me. I quite like punting the car through mountain roads and the ride height now is a good compromise between looks and useability.

I'm really very happy with the Bilsteins, more so than I was expecting. I'm sure these and KWs etc are all around the same level of quality but I can only refer to my experience with the PSS10s.

Looks good Lima. Lots of people seem to rate them highly and I'm looking forward to getting a set! So it seems like the general consensus is coil overs, or at the least matched dampers and springs. Springs alone only leave you wanting for more.

Reactions: Lima