Suspected Fuel pump/relay issues.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I walked out to the car tonight and turned the key, the car started for a second then cut out. It then wouldn't start at all. I suspect it might be the fuel pump or relay as I can normally hear the pump prime when I get in the car but I don't *think* it did tonight (I was on autopilot after work). Any way I checked the fuel pump fuse and it looked ok. I then removed the FPR to see if there was fuel in the rail, which there is. However if I try and start the car with the FPR out there is no movment in the fuel in the rail which I expected there should be (probably spraying out)?

I'm off back to the car shortly to scan it but wondered if it does look like the pump/relay, is there a way of testing which one it is? Can I attach a volt meter to the top of the pump with the ignition on? If so what should I see when its working or fecked?

Comments appreciated!

Dave.

was the immobilisor light flashing.
The car starts and cuts out when the immobilisor cuts in.

The immobiliser light didn't flash. The car is now just turning and not firing. Is there a way to test the immobiliser and I assume it would throw a code if it was the immobiliser?

engine block will show if the immo triggered... immo normally works by firing then cutting the engine..

VCDS scan first then we go from there :)

<tuffty/>

Ok, no fault codes found on the auto scan or the engine block....?

When I turn the ignition key the immobiliser light comes on and then after a second or so disappears as normal.

The fuel pump definitely does NOT prime when I open the door or turn the key in the ignition. I've checked fuse 28 and the other ignition fuses in the fuse board in the dashboard and they are fine.

When I turn the key the car just turns over and over but doesn't fire.

All I can think is either the pump relay (but I'd expect this to throw up some codes?) or the fuel pump?

when the ignition is on i would expect it to be ******* out of the void where the fpr was...i would say the pump is dead, out of interest how much fuel is in the tank?

mine gets lazy starting if less than a quarter tank, (just if left overnight) so i suspect mine is on its way out,
get the terminals checked on the fuel pump, if its live and the pump is quiet its the inevitable...:ermm:

I'm tempted to change the pump anyway as its been noisy for a while. I'll get it on a volt meter first to confirm though. Well that's another £200 to sink into the money pit!

Cheers dude! I've had a look through his thread and it seems I have a problem, the fuel pump GSF have provided looks like this:

Fuelpump.jpg

....which doesn't look like the one in Westy's thread....?

Cheers dude! I've had a look through his thread and it seems I have a problem, the fuel pump GSF have provided looks like this:

Fuelpump.jpg

Westys is probably out of a hotpoint washer dryier .....:)

Just take yours out and see if they are similar?

I've given up with ECP and the like after my heater matrix woes. I only get OEM parts now.

When you have the correct part Dave it's fairly straight forward. Make sure battery is disconnected and fuel system has be de pressurised. You then access the pump via the access panel under the rear seats. Disconnect 2 hoses, unscrew a big black plastic seal, then lift old pump out. It can be a bit fiddly as there is a hose connected to the pump in the tank but you'll feel it once you've lifted the pump slightly.

Get ready for a headache from the petrol fumes too ;)

Fuelpump.jpg

That doesn't look like a quattro pump lol....

<tuffty/>

Actually...
ec85e283.jpg

Maybe the GSF part means you have to swap over the fuel level sender? difficult to tell at this angle... OEM pumps come complete IIRC...

<tuffty/>

Fuelpump.jpg

That's what i've got as well when i replaced mine, you have to use your own fuel sender, top cap and hoses.
Use steel clamps for the hoses.

Well I had a crack at this today but gave up half way through. I managed to get as far as starting to remove the pump from the tank but then realised the point about the GSF part only being the main pump rather than coming with the other gubbins. At that point I decided to leave it, get a refund on the GSF part and buy one from Audi, I really can't be bothered trying to crimp on new fuel lines, I can see that being riddled with potential issues!

One question though, how does the pump assembly come out of that hole as it seems to big, is there a way of disconnecting it from something in the tank? I disconnected one of the fuel lines that runs to the other side of the tank but there is another that runs from the other side of the tank to the bottom of the pump assembly? Does this pull out?

I appreciate this might seem like gibberish but it's hard to describe (it's hard to ****** see as well through the little hole whilst getting high on vPower).

Not a nice job is it :(

It's hard to explain but there should only be two connections from the pump into the tank then you need to turn the pump and you can slide I'd all ou in 1 piece. I found it easier with another set of hands helping as it's difficult to manoeuvre the pump out and hold the tank float thing that is on a metal arm.

Sorted! Managed to get a genuine pump from my local Seat dealership and within 30mins it was in and working. It's miles quieter than the creeky old one aswell.

Thanks for the tips gents, job jobbed! :)

Yeah I couldn't hear it when the back seat was back in, even with the seat out I could only hear a slight hum rather than the previous moan!

I'm not sure as the tank is different due to the prop running through the centre of it, as a result quattro cars have a second contraption in the other side of the tank. The part I got from seat was specifically for the 4wd leons that seat sell in other parts of Europe. 2wd pumps could be the same but I wouldn't risk it after my ordeal.

I'm not sure as the tank is different due to the prop running through the centre of it, as a result quattro cars have a second contraption in the other side of the tank. The part I got from seat was specifically for the 4wd leons that seat sell in other parts of Europe. 2wd pumps could be the same but I wouldn't risk it after my ordeal.

You are correct. I remember reading about quattro Leons being produced in Spain but not in the UK.