Surge Tank Fitting

Pat

Reaction score
I just ordered a surge tank from intergrated eng...

I`ll be putting it in the boot, but was wondered what best way to pipe up?? Has anyone fitted one by any chance

Three fittings across the top of the tank... feed from intank pump to one hole, feed to fuel return (tank) in another hole, feed from fuel return (fuel rail) in the last hole... fuel feed to fuel rail from pump...

<tuffty/>

Thanks mate but what I need to know is best way to route pipes from top tank into boot

drill holes tbh... prob have to drop the tank and run new lines.. only time I have been involved in fitting one was on the Mk2 Golf and that was located in the original position so no need to drill holes etc...

Fuel supply from intank and fuel return I think should be at less pressure than the fuel feed to the rail from the 044... IIRC we pushed fuel hose over the plastic pipes to plumb the 3 ports in the swirl pot... yours will be different though and you will have to work out how to get a decent connection from the 044 to the fuel rail... not gonna be a fun job :)

<tuffty/>

can i ask a daft question: why is this needed on an S3? I thought the intank pump unit acted as a swirl pot and stopped starvation or surge anyway?

can i ask a daft question: why is this needed on an S3? I thought the intank pump unit acted as a swirl pot and stopped starvation or surge anyway?

I was thinking the same

I have the same fueling set up as Tuffty bar i have 870cc injectors and are set up are fine

A bit over kill there Pat?

Fuel pump failed me mate
couldn't cope with what I needed
Completely different I know but I was told that the s3 fuel pump would cope :-/

Main reason is that i have been running a 044 pump inline...

As we all know the 044 is a little noisey at best of times, so i brought the surge tank because the 044 sits inside and hopefully keeps the noise down a little..

Also found that the 044 is over powering the intank pump.. after talking to afew people we thought it would be best to mount a small surge tank in boot which the standard pump feeds and then the 044 feeds off surge tank..

Maybe the 044 is a little over kill for my setup but i buy these for peanuts...

044 is fine... well worth it for your level of tune and would not consider doing a BT conversion without one... I see your point though... you can hear mine in the car but it is very much in the background and tbh I find it reassuring hearing it lol...

The IE surge tank is a neat bit of kit..

<tuffty/>

Its like having a very angry bee in my car with mine

I wonder if that's simply down to how it's mounted? I didn't really notice it when I went in tuftys car at all, it's certainly not intrusive.

Perhaps some sort of rubberised mounting is all that's needed to kill the noise?

I wrapped mine in a bit of rubber hose before clipping it on... walbro's normally come with a rubber sleeve IIRC...

20091017_IMG_3853.jpg

<tuffty/>

Surely it's most practical to mount a swirl pot under the bonnet? Saves running extra fuel lines?

Sure iv seen someone mount one in the front of a 1.8t before

Fuel pump failed me mate
couldn't cope with what I needed
Completely different I know but I was told that the s3 fuel pump would cope :-/
LMAO

Guess what pump lives in my badgerwagen race car?
S3 in tank pump.
It feed 3.3ltr min off load.... No way your car demands more than that.
Mine supports a 2ltr swirl pot, which feeds 2 x Bosch 044 pumps into -8 line to 8 injectors summing >1500cc/cylinder

and you say you were told the S3 would'nt support your power?

c'mon....
Really??????

LMAO

and you say you were told the S3 would'nt support your power?

c'mon....
Really??????
Was running a 50bhp jet in the petrol solenoid and a hundred jet in the nos solenoid
And I don't know if my fuel pump was just dying or couldn't cope
But I do know when I was running the system like this the fuel pump was making some crazy noises and before it wasn't...............
And this only happened when I'd stamp on the nos
Just a guess that's all
It could have been the fact that my fuel pump had nailed 193000 miles and was just at the end of it's life
And yes I was told that
Everyone's an expert hey ;)

Maybe it's just that time of year! there is quite a but of black cat syndrome lurking about

Last edited:
if noisy it was tired out fella..

S3 pump is adequate for most applications when working properly

193k miles - hmmm - indeed

Got your value out of that one
How many miles (if any) were running 4bar fpr?

if noisy it was tired out fella..

S3 pump is adequate for most applications when working properly
193k miles - hmmm - indeed
Got your value out of that one
How many miles (if any) were running 4bar fpr?
Its been an ace car And I did get my money's worth!!!!
Was a lil hard on her towards the end!!!!!
Glad when I get bak with new lease of life :)