superkarls overhaul

Edit from what I put before to not cause confusion, as I believe the rules have changed and depending upon the insurer this is the legal way of doing things and keeping all the tax people/government/insurers happy..

Sooooo the very legal way to do is to trailer the car (not tow) to the MOT centre and then get insurance and finally Un SORN and then tax it to drive :racer:

Last edited:
Thanks Kris, much appreciated!

ive also just got off the phone to my uncle who owns Coversure and hes confirmed a few things.

my main concern was for my NCB but that's fine now.

Il get my dad to whack trade plates on to go for the MOT.

onward and upward!

No worries.....got there in the end as I was sure there a correct legal way of doing it for private use...but involves a trailer none the less.

The other is trade plates as you said - so it's all good.

Bet you can't wait to fire up the quattro all legally on the road :)

help.

I tried to start the car tonight.
after I primed it last time and found the throttle body throwing a spaz my mate brought along VCDS lite in the hope it would reveal a code and/or we could do an alignment.

Firstly I could not read the engine at all. AWD, instruments etc all fine. just couldn't find the engine. This is the version of VCDS ive always used. 409.1. My initial thoughts are maybe when Dan flashed it or did what he did its an updated version that the VCDS cannot read?? Maybe I should PM Dan about that.

So we cranked it over anyway, first get some oil pressure, reading 'Oil Pr: OK' on VCDS as we do so.
Next I put fuse 28 in for the fuel pump, and then ignition on... no priming??? weird. we try anyway. cranked and cranked, nothing until it cranked over for a split second before conking out. Literally rose to 1200rpm then died.

Now with the ignition on we had the fuel pump priming on and off in rhythm to the throttle body spaz. WTF. how are they even related.
Subsequent attempts resulted in the same, cranks for a second then dies. The last crank ended with the biggest backfire I have ever heard, all the dogs within about 5 miles went ape ****. The engine was no warmer than a fart, how was that even possible.

We checked ALL the fuses on the side of the dash, all on top of the battery, and attempted to check earths in the bay.
Can someone clarify the earths/battery connections?
1 under the battery from negative terminal that goes to starter.
1 positive to starter.
That's all I can see. there has to be more surely?

The TB spaz and no comms with engine/ecu is the big issue. One caused by the other no doubt. I just don't know where to begin.

Sounds very similar to the problem I had with mine. Would turn over but not fire then a huge backfire. The car would turn over with the (not sure of the name) sensor unplugged on the drivers side of the intake manifold (rough description). Turned out the ecu was fecked and had to be replaced.

Reactions: superkarl
iv got an earth to the engine block too connected to one of the bolts holding gearbox on that connects to under the battery too... maybe go over alll earths wire brush etc etc? worth a try series of elimation i guess air / fuel /spark etc :s hope you sort it matey!

Reconnect your old throttle body electrically then turn on the ignition and see if it behaves normally or "spaz" out. If it behaves normal give cranking a try and see what happens. If it still malfunctions then try flashing the stock ECU file back on and retry.

Throttle body/fuel pump/no ecu comms hopefully fixed.

However, its ended before it began. Bleeding the clutch last night and the slave cylinder failed, fluid ******* from the bell housing. cheers.

Is this a common thing for them to fail? its brand new. Luk or Sachs I think. I had some clutch pedal for a bit and was pumping it then pop, pedal straight to the floor.

Sorry dude... just caught up with this...

Not really sure on the electrical gremlins tbh... engine control relay has given similar symptoms in the past though..

Have never had a slave gone funky personally but I guess it can happen... its not from the connection on the top though? I bleed clutches using a vacuum bleeder... draw some fluid through, tighten nipple then hand pump the clutch pedal a few time... repeat until pedal feels ok and returns under its own steam... can take a few attempts to get a pedal mind...

Good luck dude... home stretch now

<tuffty/>

Sorry dude... just caught up with this...

Not really sure on the electrical gremlins tbh... engine control relay has given similar symptoms in the past though..

Have never had a slave gone funky personally but I guess it can happen... its not from the connection on the top though? I bleed clutches using a vacuum bleeder... draw some fluid through, tighten nipple then hand pump the clutch pedal a few time... repeat until pedal feels ok and returns under its own steam... can take a few attempts to get a pedal mind...

Good luck dude... home stretch now

<tuffty/>
Dan has my electrical gremlins sorted I think, the legend that he is.
For future reference which is the engine control relay?

I wish it was from the connection on the top :sob:
My dad did the bulk of it. Came round with pipe, bottles and a syringe. We were flushing with ATE super blue and he actually started reverse bleeding the clutch, getting the peddle back then it just 'popped' under my foot.

its the home stretch but a very very long stretch. Had the clutch not died it would probably be moving under its own power by Friday.
But I go away for 9 weeks on Friday, so now it will realistically be late August.
My dad said he will do me the favour of dropping the box and investigating/fitting a new slave to it while im away which would be awesome.
All this is delaying the sale of the other car :banghead:

Sod bushes... paint it!.. :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Adam P, superkarl, Westy and 1 other person
How long has your been off the road now Karl? Have you still got any love for it?

Dani read my mind.
about 18months ish

tuffty im gonna ask my dad if he'll power wash it, if I ask him to paint it he will without a doubt tell me to swivvle. Is that ok? lol

Reactions: <tuffty/> and Dani_B19
Ok ill burn it and give you a tenner :). Seriously though why arnt you working on it mate?

what are my options for subframe bushes while its off???

034 Alumunium or Tyrolsport Bronze if you want solid (why not?). Obviously Tyrolsport say the aluminium ones can deform and 034 say it's not a problem.

I have a new clutch now, Luk from audi. I think the other one was a refurbed Sachs cover plate, and the springs in it are **** and thats why the slave cylinder exploded.
old sachs slave Vs new Luk slave. Metal Vs plastic.

As you can see the sachs is nakered, the 'piston' in it doesnt even return.

Want to have the gearbox fitted pretty soon.
Il only bolt the gearbox in enough to bleed the clutch system so that if it does go wrong again it wont be too much of a pain to replace.
Also need to refit the ECU and hope its ok following the work Dan did to it to solve some issues

Following the clutch bleeding and it actually starting it will be towed off to my mates garage to go on the ramp for final touches to the exhaust. At the minute theres a little too much tension in it when the Vband is offered up, i dont want anything pulling on the turbo at all. Il also change gearbox and haldex fluid while its up.

Its only been about 22months and counting......

Reactions: StaceyS3, Dani_B19, <tuffty/> and 4 others
22 months :-o
How have you survived that long?
Being 20 miles or so away from the car helps. Its only when i see it that it gets to me. Otherwise i use the ST and even then that only gets driven once a week.
I dont really need a car, benefit of living in the city. But i do want my toy back! i need to go play!

thats where you guys are lucky you guys have awesome public transport, if we use our public transport there is 10% or lower that we will get to where we going lol 90% is a morgue lol

Reactions: A3-Lee and superkarl
Just read your whole thread, it's been a tough long road for you. Hopefully it'll all be sorted soon, and you finally get to enjoy all your hard work.

Reading all these builds and the problems they face make me dread turning my daily into a project...

Just read your whole thread, it's been a tough long road for you. Hopefully it'll all be sorted soon, and you finally get to enjoy all your hard work.

Reading all these builds and the problems they face make me dread turning my daily into a project...
thanks for taking the time to read it. Im suprised it makes sense as half the pictures dont work.

Woooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up and running again after 23 months?

Woooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up and running again after 23 months?
amazing hey!
she runs, idles a but rough, sounds like a drag car with 5000degree cams.
but it did have no exhaust on, lots of pipes not fastened, a nipple on the inlet mani open, and has an rs4 maf element in.
im sure it will purrrr like a lion once those are sorted. Got a few small jobs to do over Christmas, im free from the 17th so Il get cracking and will hopefully be driving it in the new year.

it was emotional turning that key

Reactions: limbo118118, [Dave B], StaceyS3 and 5 others
Good work....bet you're chuffed to get it running again after all that time.

Xmas came early!