Superchips Q (S3 8p)

mitchst2

Reaction score
Being in NI I'm limited in my options regards attending the big companies for a map.

There's a local Revo dealer. However mate with a Focus RS had an engine rebuild as a result of incorrect stage being used.

Brothers Golf was custom mapped and was very impressive for a short period. Another rebuild.

Needless to say I want to avoid this. Not planning going much beyond stage 1 if at all.

My question is do Superchips make their claimed figures these days? I've seen a lot of dated posts saying they don't.

Another option would be Shark STS but that'd be £225 more than Superchips.

Thoughts please.

There's a few other members from N.Ireland here and they should be able to give you some alternatives.

If you don't plan on going beyond Stg1 the Superchips route may be suitable and their maps are usually very conservative.

Reactions: mitchst2
There's a few other members from N.Ireland here and they should be able to give you some alternatives.

If you don't plan on going beyond Stg1 the Superchips route may be suitable and their maps are usually very conservative.
Quoted conservatively or perform conservatively. I ask that as their quoted torque figures seem low.

I had Dreamscience mapped Focus ST before. Whilst I never dynoed it I had no reason to doubt the gains quoted. Night and day.

Don't want to go Superchips if the opinion is still mediocre at best on their maps.

Quoted conservatively or perform conservatively. I ask that as their quoted torque figures seem low.

I had Dreamscience mapped Focus ST before. Whilst I never dynoed it I had no reason to doubt the gains quoted. Night and day.

Don't want to go Superchips if the opinion is still mediocre at best on their maps.

To explain...conservative in bhp terms compared to say APR or similar.
Very unlikely to result in engine damage.

To be fair,set up and used properly,a map from any of the major companies,should not affect reliability,and certainly did not in my case at that sort of stage(I used Revo back then).
The engine meltdown you described was,as you said,due to incorrect setup etc.

Superchips have just sent a stock Maha plot making 272.5bhp and 340nm. Hoping they can send me the same for stage 1.

I`m running a stage 1 bluefin by superchips fdw 2.0tfsi and I have to say that I`m totally happy and don't intend to go stage 2 as I don't want to stress the car more than necessary., S3Alex may put me right on this, but I have read that's its not all about HP, its about torque and where you get that torque, more horse power will get the engine peaking higher in the rev range so gear change will be a bit later in each gear and top end speed will benefit more, that might be where this tuner is going wrong as he is trying to eek out every last horse to look better on the print out.
Superchips have been around since the beginning of chip tuning, last 30 odd years and have a vast amount of experience, primarily Motorsport, and they may be less harsh as APR, Shark or Revo maps but deliver a nice smooth torque right through the rev range and guarantee there map. Removable by yourself, you can get fault codes and reset too.
www.superchips.co.uk/search?make=2&fueltype=3&model=183&variant=1742
Nearly 400 nm of torque, that's a good amount and 303 bhp.
Tip, ebay do them for £360 with K+N filter or wait for voucher codes from euro car parts and you might get it for £340.
I personally dont trust the cotton filters as they are race proven and void warranties as the pipercross filters don't.

Last edited:
I had a Superchips Stage 1 map on my Edition 30 Golf and it pulled hard. As above, if you don't plan on going beyond Stage 1 then the handheld unit is great (although it does take 20 mins to take it on/off).

I still have the handheld unit BTW, which can be reprogrammed for your car.

Torque = acceleration
BHP = top speed

Broadly put...lol
I would rather have a decent fat torque curve,than huge top end power,(but then I'd rather have both!)

The other thing about the K04 is that it's losing torque quite rapidly after 5000rpm due to it's size and flow limitations,so it makes hanging on to the red line for the last few horses less useful than using a decent spread of torque.

Reactions: audismart
I had a Superchips Stage 1 map on my Edition 30 Golf and it pulled hard. As above, if you don't plan on going beyond Stage 1 then the handheld unit is great (although it does take 20 mins to take it on/off).

I still have the handheld unit BTW, which can be reprogrammed for your car.
Would need reset costing £225, correct.

I`m running a stage 1 bluefin by superchips fdw 2.0tfsi and I have to say that I`m totally happy and don't intend to go stage 2 as I don't want to stress the car more than necessary., S3Alex may put me right on this, but I have read that's its not all about HP, its about torque and where you get that torque, more horse power will get the engine peaking higher in the rev range so gear change will be a bit later in each gear and top end speed will benefit more, that might be where this tuner is going wrong as he is trying to eek out every last horse to look better on the print out.
Superchips have been around since the beginning of chip tuning, last 30 odd years and have a vast amount of experience, primarily Motorsport, and they may be less harsh as APR, Shark or Revo maps but deliver a nice smooth torque right through the rev range and guarantee there map. Removable by yourself, you can get fault codes and reset too.
www.superchips.co.uk/search?make=2&fueltype=3&model=183&variant=1742
Nearly 400 nm of torque, that's a good amount and 303 bhp.
Tip, ebay do them for £360 with K+N filter or wait for voucher codes from euro car parts and you might get it for £340.
I personally dont trust the cotton filters as they are race proven and void warranties as the pipercross filters don't.
Seen those on eBay as well. Personally wouldn't be interested in the K&N. My faith with panel filters lie with Jetex. Not sure it's worth the bother either way though.

Would need reset costing £225, correct.
Just looked yes £225, bit steep but get a handset at a good price and away you go, you may have to change your turbo diverter valve, I've fitted a GFB DV+ as most on here do, there is a forge one but the GFB seems to be the best out there.

Torque = acceleration
BHP = top speed

Broadly put...lol
I would rather have a decent fat torque curve,than huge top end power,(but then I'd rather have both!)

The other thing about the K04 is that it's losing torque quite rapidly after 5000rpm due to it's size and flow limitations,so it makes hanging on to the red line for the last few horses less useful than using a decent spread of torque.
To compare an aggressive tune (say Revo) to Superchips can anyone point me to Revo stage 1 plot in their website. Can't seem to find it.

I run superchips stage 1 and it's been fine not to harsh ,I'll be running stage 2 on Thursday after my bcs is fitted which is why I went bluefin route as I can get stage 2 for £50 inbetween ,while I save up for the parts needed for stage 2+ as well as coilovers brakes etc ,

I am in Shetland , only maps here are Celtic ? Can you buy a bluefin for any car off eBay and get it reset for 225 quid to use on the S3 ?

I think is has to be specific to a group of cars, mine has audi vw skoda seat with all engine varients. and the product code BF06.VAG.T
But I would double check as newer models need the ECU cracked open.

Thanks, yep had a good look about, seems there are 2 different VAG ones .... Not so easy , a lot of cheap ford ones for sale ..

Thanks, yep had a good look about, seems there are 2 different VAG ones .... Not so easy , a lot of cheap ford ones for sale ..
There's a VAG one on eBay. Owner is either oblivious to the fact the thing needs reset or deliberately missing that 'minor' detail.

Not worth the hassle unless proven reset by current owner. If I go Superchips I'll just get new for the sake of saving £100 at most.

Mentioned earlier I got a Maha plot for a stock car. Apparently I can't have a stage 1 Maha plot for confidentiality reasons. Really how difficult is it to hide those details. Bit disappointed in that response.

Mentioned earlier I got a Maha plot for a stock car. Apparently I can't have a stage 1 Maha plot for confidentiality reasons. Really how difficult is it to hide those details. Bit disappointed in that response.

That's nonsense.

Most people come straight on here and other forums and post up their plots straight away.

Bye the one on ebay for £360 and sell the K+N filter, would get £20 back I would think.
That's the plan. Need to talk the Mrs around. Made the mistake if promising I wouldn't touch the s3. If I'm honest the stock s3 is a little disappointing compared to my mapped ST. Obviously there's things it does better but that sense of urgency isn't there when you plant it bigger turbo and all that.

I'll let her book a nice holiday first then try dropping the tuning bomb.

That's the plan. Need to talk the Mrs around. Made the mistake if promising I wouldn't touch the s3. If I'm honest the stock s3 is a little disappointing compared to my mapped ST. Obviously there's things it does better but that sense of urgency isn't there when you plant it bigger turbo and all that.

I'll let her book a nice holiday first then try dropping the tuning bomb.
Lol, good luck with the misses.
As for the urgency of the s3, I think the way an Audi puts the power down and the quality of the overall car you just don't notice it as much even with a remap as the fords are a lot more unrefined and aggressive.

Lol, good luck with the misses.
As for the urgency of the s3, I think the way an Audi puts the power down and the quality of the overall car you just don't notice it as much even with a remap as the fords are a lot more unrefined and aggressive.
Don't go knocking my wee Ford now. 8 years loyal service and never missed a beat. In my eyes the Audi actually has a lot to live up to.

Don't go knocking my wee Ford now. 8 years loyal service and never missed a beat. In my eyes the Audi actually has a lot to live up to.
lol. wouldn't dare, I`m a bit of a fan of fords, especcially cossies and mk1 rs models, Ive had a mk1 fiesta XR2 an XR3i, mk2 cortina 1600E and sierra sapphire 2wd cossie. and they all fetch good money in good nick now.
Only reason for not getting the ST or RS was they dont do an DSG or S Tronic equivalent as the Mrs drives the car most of the time to work, the new shape mustang with 2.5 ecoboost engine and auto floats my boat though, and maybe the MK3 focus RS may come with some sort of new powershift box.

Have my eyes on the 4wd Focus RS a few years down the line...... But for pities sake don't tell the wife that lol....

Reactions: audismart