Superchips Bluefin on its way

g5und

Reaction score
Well I decided to splash out and order a Bluefin handset for my 2.0Tdi Q Sline. Superchips claim a 38bhp increase on the 140 engine.

I'll keep the thread updated with how I find it.

Has anyone else 'bluefinned' their TDi?

Do they do one for a 3.2? I know the gains won't be massive but would it be worth while?

I don't think they do a bluefin handset for the 3.2. They do offer standard remapping on the 3.2 and claim a 15bhp increase for £294.

g5und said:
I don't think they do a bluefin handset for the 3.2. They do offer standard remapping on the 3.2 and claim a 15bhp increase for £294.

£20+ per 1 bhp. I hope the drive is improved for that money because the power will be negligable IMHO. Spose this is where the S3 will thrive, in big power aftermarket remaps, if the internals are strong enough?

I asked them when they where going to get one out for the 2.0T, no responce as yet. I woud deffo buy one

A3_TOBES said:
£20+ per 1 bhp. I hope the drive is improved for that money because the power will be negligable IMHO. Spose this is where the S3 will thrive, in big power aftermarket remaps, if the internals are strong enough?

Believe it or not after remapping the 3.2, althuogh the gains are only very small, the difference is amazing. I didn't believe it so had the APR trial software installed on my R32 - it's free so what did I have to loose.

The bluefin is waiting for me at home :sm4:

I believe you have to download the car's standard map to the unit, send it off to superchips via the usb cable who then send you a custom map back to upload onto the handset before uploading onto the car.

Sounds a bit complicated, so im hoping its gonna be worth it!

weird, not sure why they would need your map 1st unless they've never seen one before. I can't see it being a custom map either as it usually takes a few sessions on a RR for a true custom map

I've got blufin on the Golf and have had it for about 8 weeks. I went to the HQ to have mine done but what basically happens is you connect the device to the diagnostic port and bluefin reads the data from the ECU. You then connect to your PC and send the information off, Superchips then select the appropriate map for your ECU and send it back to you, usually within 24/48 hours. You then simply upload the information to the handset and then to the car. If the car produces more smoke then you simply go through the origianal process and Superchips adjust the map. There is no custom mapping to your car.

Last night I downloaded the cars standard settings to the bluefin and sent it off to Superchips using their software. 9.30am this morning I had an email and text message from them saying my map was ready to download!

Can't wait to get home today and get it installed :laugh:

nice ! let us know what it's like !

Well after installing the bluefin on the car last night and taking it for a good run, I can honestly say it is amazing! Very impressed!

The car pulls very hard up to the red line, much like my old TT 225.

I would recommend anyone considering getting the bluefin for the 2.0 TDi to go for it. Thumbs up from me!

May sound daft (cos you'll be like a kid with a new toy and wont care but) what does it do the the fuel consumption? Does it realy make it feel like a totally different car? How much did it cost you?

From what I can see, it doesn't seem to affect the fuel economy. I will be able to answer that question better when I've covered more miles.

Yes, it def. makes it feel like a different car. I'm sure someone else will back me up when I say that the extra 38bhp and torque makes the car fly. My previous car was a 225 TT and although the 2.0 TDi still doesn't feel quite as quick, it's not that far behind!

I paid £599 all in for the unit.

What's particularly good about your install is that you have quattro, which means you'll have a much better chance at getting all the extra torque down on to the road. It's got to be way faster than a mapped FWD TDI.

I've not really seen much change in my MPG its possibly about 1mpg better than standard but then if you use the power you expect a drop. If you look on the MkIV Golf forum you might find a link to discounts on bluefin I think its 10%

g5und said:
From what I can see, it doesn't seem to affect the fuel economy. I will be able to answer that question better when I've covered more miles.

Yes, it def. makes it feel like a different car. I'm sure someone else will back me up when I say that the extra 38bhp and torque makes the car fly. My previous car was a 225 TT and although the 2.0 TDi still doesn't feel quite as quick, it's not that far behind!

I paid £599 all in for the unit.

Does the unit enable you to reload the original ECU program without leaving traces of the changes to the cars map ?

Cheers

:beerchug:

yup - except instead of having to go to a dealer to do it, you just plug the unit in your self

d3fy said:
yup - except instead of having to go to a dealer to do it, you just plug the unit in your self

Cool, where is the port to plug it in ?, do you know if they will be doing a remap for the 170PS TDI.

Cheers

:rolleyes:

the port is under the drivers side foot well area and not sure, they currently only do the 140TDi engine.

d3fy said:
I asked them when they where going to get one out for the 2.0T, no responce as yet. I woud deffo buy one

I've dropped them a line too. Maybe we'll get a response.

A friend informs me this is how the AMD one-click works too. Thoughts?

TBH I had a not so good experience with Superchips a few years ago but they seem to have improved no end. Competition is a very good thing.

There's been a few horror storied involving S/Chips but that is fromm a long time ago. Not heard anything but good about them for the last few years!

J.

I got a fairly vague reply with a couple of pdf files that probably waffle on about how good Superchips are.

Dear Richard

Thank you for your interest in Superchips.

Bluefin is under continuous development and new models added frequently , these can be viewed on www.mybluefin.co.uk and www.superchips.co.uk , no timescales presently available for release.

Superchips reprogramme the boost and fuelling maps of the car's on-board computer (Electronic Control Unit), resulting in:

· Increased torque, or pulling power, which reduces the need for gear changing.

· Increased power, smoother performance and better response (for example when overtaking).

· The potential for greater fuel economy, when driven carefully.

When fitted with a Superchip, your Audi 2.0T FSI 197bhp would gain up to 41 bhp and an increase of up to 30% in torque (detailed power and torque curves are included, for example purposes).

The car's fuelling is carefully managed to optimise fuelling and retain the long term reliability of the engine. For your peace of mind, a Superchips warranty is included - at no additional cost - for vehicles that are still covered by the original manufacturer's warranty.

Our approved agents within your area can be viewed on www.superchips.co.uk . The modification usually takes about an hour, and costs £511.13 * including installation and VAT. (*UK Price subject to change. Regional price variations on installation may apply).

If you require any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to call.

Yours sincerely

Constantin
Technical Sales, Superchips Ltd