Superchips bluefin ea888 engine

Cmw9

Reaction score
I have just got off the phone to superchips regarding a stage 2 remap for my a3. The guy on the phone seemed to think that my car has a different engine to the mk6 gti. I have a 2011 2.0tfsi which I understand is the same as the gti just with a different factory map. I was saying too him that the parts I have bought for it the engine (boost tap and CAI) were for the gti. The maps they do for the a3 2.0tsfi and gti 2.0tsi are worlds apart and they dont even do a stage 2 for the a3. Am i wrong in thinking i have the same engine as the gti?
53da22f66da0c1b15272dc9ba50f5073.jpg
ca33b75dad37de414a3bf7f75ec26ca0.jpg

Reactions: sliced
Hi mate, IIRC downtothebone had a stage 2 bluefin superchips remap on his A3 EA888 before switching to APR.

A3 EA888 would have 197bhp(200bhp) while the gti mk6 has 207bhp(210bhp). The vw scirocco tsi had a 2.0 EA888 at 197bhp (200bhp). It may be worth speaking to rick @ unicorn, as he knows a fair bit about EA888 engines.

Last edited:
He is who i want to map my car but I really don't fancy the 3 1/2 to 4hour drive there. Especially if i get any problems after. Why did you change from bluefin to apr? Did you notice a difference?

Yup I had stage 2 bluefin on my 2011 2.0 TFSI - it was the scirocco map for Bluefin Stage 2. Our TFSI engine is actually the VW TSI variant.

Yeah i thought so. Guy on the phone was trying to tell me I still had the older engine. Do you recommend bluefin?

My personal experience with Bluefin and Superchips has been extremely good. I originally wanted an AMD map but at the time AMD hadn't cracked the encryption and when I spoke with Superchips they had so went with their handheld unit. The unit has always worked for me from Stage 1 to Stage 2 and the whole automated process worked well. Yes it is odd that Superchips don't explicitly advertise the Stage 2 map for the TFSI variant but at the time contacted them with my engine code and they said the Scirocco map was the same so went with that - again no issues whatsoever.

In terms of the map itself - again I was very happy with the performance - those 'in the know' will talk about Revo, Shark and AMD as being far more aggressive, better delivery, more torque (and by implication 'better') etc. In my case I've never mapped a car before so I wanted to be cautious. In fact with Stage 1 I had too much power on the front wheels and had to change tyres to Eagle F1's after I was getting constant and embarrassing wheel spin on launch. Stage 2 is far more refined in terms of power delivery than Stage 1.

I only changed to APR as I wanted the ability to switch maps via the Cruise Control stalk. In terms of difference the idle speed under APR is lower whilst low down delivery is much better but once you get going there's not much in it - either way you are making rapid progress.

If I wanted absolute performance with a fully personalised map I'd probably go with Rick at Unicorn - if he was 30 mins down the road like my APR dealer I'd do it but he isn't so APR gets my business.

Others have had issues with Bluefin - mostly during the mapping process using the handheld which has sometimes left their car effectively dead and then waiting for telephone support - my advice if you do go ahead do the mapping early on in the day so in the event something does go wrong you've got time to contact them inside of office hours. I'd also speak with Superchips and find out exactly what support they will provide if there is an issue.

DTTB

Reactions: Cmw9
Hi.
You have indeed the VW TSI engine. Same as MK6 GTI. All A3 from 2008+ have. Also some late MK5 GTI's
Go with APR. You want be sorry. Trust me. The program switching is great. And you can choose between "stock-95oct-98oct-102oct"
I have been APR driver for several years now and super happy. Today the car is on K04 turbo and is a DD for the misses and track car for me.
Stage 1 and 2 have some limited factors all tuners have to deal with. But the questions how they handle the writing of the program. I would stay away from generic maps.
Good luck.
PS. I think APR offers 30 days full money back pollecy. Try it at least.

Cheers for the write ups, so much choice I dont know what to do yet. I have revo and apr dealers within 20miles so i might give one of them a go. Never having a mapped car before makes me anxious doing it myself with bluefin

You can't go wrong with either APR or Revo. I think both have 30 days money back. Good luck and have fun
You are going to have a treat.
I remember my first day at stage 1.
My thoughts was HOLY S&$#t...
Keep us posted.

Going from around 210 bhp and 200odd ft-lb of torque up to 270bhp and nearly 300ft-lb theres certainly going to be a massive difference. Just hope my insurance wont be silly when i ask for a quote for a remap. Quite a young driver so they charge me too much.

Bluefin.....When you plug it in and all your dash lights start flashing then you can poo yourself like I did lol, scarey but worth it, you will never look back once you start remapping

I flashed mine in the car park at work - luckily all was fine but I'd defintely not do it like that again just in case. In fact the only issue I had was right after I had the APR map loaded - coils went but at the time thought it was the map.

I have heard of the upload being a brown trouser moment with the dashboard doing its christmas tree impression. Isn't the coils a common fault? How much are they to replace?

I wouldn't call flashing an ecu a 'brown trouser moment' but maybe that's what separates the men from the boys ... Yup coil failure is an issue but I didn't know it at the time.

Bluefin.....When you plug it in and all your dash lights start flashing then you can poo yourself like I did lol, scarey but worth it, you will never look back once you start remapping

I have heard of the upload being a brown trouser moment with the dashboard doing its christmas tree impression. Isn't the coils a common fault? How much are they to replace?

I wouldn't call flashing an ecu a 'brown trouser moment' but maybe that's what separates the men from the boys ... Yup coil failure is an issue but I didn't know it at the time.

This did make me smile.

I've always been able to leave it to someone who isn't going to find ECU error codes etc to be anything other than daily business.
You can imagine how I felt firing up mine for the first time with whole new ECU!

I didn't realise revo was so expensive! Just called a dealer near me and its £650 for stage 2. Is it really worth the extra £200odd from super chips?

I didn't realise revo was so expensive! Just called a dealer near me and its £650 for stage 2. Is it really worth the extra £200odd from super chips?

It very much depends on what you want.

If you want an off-the shelf,customisable solution with a well established history and upgrade path,then products from companies like Revo and APR become attractive,but if you have custom mappers like Rick or others within range,they can offer you a lot more,and often cheaper.

Superchips make some decent products,but you aren't neccessarily going to get the absolute maximum each time.

A few years ago,there were really only a few companies in the field,but now there are a lot more,and it is worth shopping around for the features you want.

Rick has said he will do my map for £300 which is brilliant. Im just worried if I have problems with it after I leave its not somewhere I can go back too in a hurry. Roughly 350mile round trip

Rick has said he will do my map for £300 which is brilliant. Im just worried if I have problems with it after I leave its not somewhere I can go back too in a hurry. Roughly 350mile round trip

Rick has a well deserved and excellent reputation,but distance can be a problem.

My own car has just completed a 600 mile round trip on the back of a trailer,so I know what you're getting at.

I cannot think of anyone here who's had any problems with Rick's work,and his advice to me on a few occasions has been freely given and much appreciated.

Ive only heard good things too. The results he gets with these engines too look just as good if not better than the big names. Whats happened to yours?

Ive only heard good things too. The results he gets with these engines too look just as good if not better than the big names. Whats happened to yours?

Long story....

If you have time,get a few beers and a comfy chair and read the build thread,but the short version for now is:

New ECU from Syvecs.
Fitted by Storm Developments
600+bhp at 2.3bar
Detuned(LOL) to 550bhp @ 1.9bar until we get the exhaust sorted.

Jeeez have to give that a look sometime. Big power!

Reactions: S3Alex
Safety and well tested tuners costs more. That how it is. I believe from reading other posts Rick is doing good things even special custom map/features.

Last edited:
Reactions: S3Alex
Safety and well tested tuners costs more. That how it is. I believe from reading other posts Rich is doing good things even special custom map/features.

Although I didn't go to Rick in the end,as Syvecs were producing a product I simply couldn't ignore,I was impressed by his knowledge and advice,and the other important thing is that having produced a map,he's constantly developed his work rather than just sitting back.

Reactions: A3SBQ
This did make me smile.

I've always been able to leave it to someone who isn't going to find ECU error codes etc to be anything other than daily business.
You can imagine how I felt firing up mine for the first time with whole new ECU!

Happened to me! Installed it the day before xmas eve, only to find it semi-bricked the ecu due to a bad checksum. worst of all they were closed for the whole christmas period and through to new years.
the amount of jokes my family had at my expense, on how my car was a lot "faster" over this christmas period :sob::sob::sob:

the dash had more lights lit than a Christmas tree!
dashboard.jpg

Last edited: