Supercharger oil change?

MuPPeT_ON_TouR

Reaction score
Is this even a thing?

Spotted this ad for supercharger oil on eBay while trolling through for anything for an S5.

"This ad is for a bottle of latest high specification synthetic turbine oil manufactured by British Petroleum suitable for Eaton supercharger gear applications – this oil actually exceeds Eaton requirements and offers superb long term protection of your supercharger internals.

To Suit:

Vehicle: Audi S5 B8.5 Cabriolet 3 Ltr.
Years: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Sale Includes:

- 155ml of the oil in a reusable 200ml plastic bottle
- 60ml syringe with small bore pvc hose for drawing out the old oil/inserting the new.

Most motor manufacturers overlook the strain placed on oil by high rotational speeds of superchargers and treat the oil as being filled for life – this is not good practice! Often, by 40 or 50,000 miles and certainly at higher mileages, the oil can come out like old gravy. Of course, that’s usually long past the time that warranties have run out – but by this time the vehicle makers are unconcerned.

To preserve supercharger life, the oil needs changing and we recommend this is done by no later than 40,000 miles."

It makes sense to me as no oil is ever really for life.

After searching it looks like it is very much a thing. Jaguar forums for older jags recommend every 3 year 25k. Thinking those that have gone stage 2 should definitely think about it and do some research.

There is official VW/Audi supercharger oil, and it is written that it is part of a service. The oil has OEM number: G070000A1, also the upper plenum seals(079129717D, 6x) and the 3 breather pipe seals(079129717D) are part of a supercharger service.
Maybe that BP oil has better specs, could well be, as also a lot of engine oils have better specs then the oil OEM supplied by Audi(Castrol i believe)

I'm fairly sure that officially the supercharger oil is supposed to last for the lifetime of the car - it is not a service item. But a fair number of people have done the change and posted about it on Audizine.

In the scheme of things I'd suggest that it only needs to be done at relatively high mileage. Higher priority would be the hypoid oil for the s-tronic gearbox (which includes the front diff) and the rear diff (and ATF if the sports variety).

Reactions: Meemo
Higher priority would be the hypoid oil for the s-tronic gearbox (which includes the front diff) and the rear diff (and ATF if the sports variety).
@Dippy I seem to remember there are two oils in the s-tronic - is that right? If so, which one is the hypoid oil and how often should it be changed. I've had my gearbox oil changed at 28k, but not done anything about the rear diff oil...

The ATF (automatic transmission fluid) is the one which was changed. It covers the clutches and mechatronics. Then there is a hypoid oil for the gears, including the centre and front diff. A rear sports diff is similar, hypoid oil for the gears and an ATF for the clutches. Officially the gearbox hypoid and both the sports diff oils are lifetime and don't need servicing on an S4/5. However now that our cars are tuned it makes sense to move towards the RS4/5 requirement which that all these oils should be serviced. I can't remember the intervals but I think the gearbox hypoid oil service recommendation is 19K.

Due to my relatively low mileage I shall be doing time-based servicing. I had the gearbox ATF done at 3 years so I think I'll have it done at 6 years and have the hypoid done at the same time. I'm not sure about the sports diff but probably sooner. Maybe at 4 years but the car will still only have done about 15K so I might leave it to 5 years.

I am guessing that Audi's service intervals are based on calculation before they are "meddled with" by Marketing. If so at some point the RS classification must have put a heavy weighting on the gearbox. It is probably true that the vast majority of RS cars are not daily drives and so don't put on the same mileage than others. Mine car has done about 15K and nearly 4 years old. If you think about the stress that an RS gearbox can be under, I don't think 19K is short. Someone might come on and tell us for sure but I think cars like the Nissan GT-R needs servicing more often.

But that's why I think it is a mistake to tune a car and stick to the service schedule of an untuned car. At least we have the RS schedule as a guide.