Supercharged 2.8 or K04 1.8 ????

dominicnyc

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm an Audi newbie. I have a 420Hp Ford Explorer, she runs 13's in the 1/4mi, but I'm tired of driving a SUV. The road characterictics are terrible and the gas mileage pitiful, 9mpg. It was a lot of fun for awhile, but now I want to move on. I am ready to buy an Audi.

My choices are as follows. A 99' 1.8t Avant w/58K mi for $14900 or a 98' 2.8 Avant w/54K mi for $16900. They are both 5-speeds. Money is a bit of an issue. I can spend around $25K complete. That's why I am looking for a slightly older model so as to have anothe $6-$7K for mods.

Which would be a more fun daily driver? The PES Supercharged 2.8 or a K04 upgraded turbo. I would like around 300hp (flywheel).To eliminate those of you who think I should buy a S4, I would, if i could find one for under $30K.

Thanks for any input. Dom

For tuning potential it has to be the 1.8T, as the 2.8 would be very expensive to tune.

I should think you should be able to get about 300 from it without too much triouble, but will be expensive. You are talking of a new turbo (dont get a K04, its cheaper to get a hybrid and will be better) full system exhaust (turbo back) a more free flowing intake (stainless gauze CAI), a front mount intercooler which you can get from forge motorsport (think they are available in the US). It would be worthwhile upgrading the wheels for 18" with 225/40ZR18 tires, for more traction, and also upgrading the suspension all round for a 40mm drop or more if u want.

Good luck!

Rich

Thanks TurkS4,

I've decided......I'm going to go with the 2.8 .

I had an idea though. The PES supercharger uses an Eaton (Roots) blower which is not the most efficient in the world. I spoke to Colin at PES about doing a custom Whipple (twinscrew) with intercooler....And to my amasement, they weren't interested...least not without around $15K to throw at the project. I'm going to purchase the PES kit and see if it is feasible to graft the whipple to their intake or just fab my own intake. I found a custom fab shop to make the intake for me in Las Vegas that appears to be up to the task...

My goal would be to run around 10-15psi. I need some input from you guys.

What kind of Hp can the 2.8 take without self-destructing?

Does anyone think it would be worth the extra $$$ and time to upgrade to the whipple?

Thanks again. Dom