Super bright CREE DRL's fitted with new feature

Lewbo

Reaction score
Fitted Xenons a few weeks ago and always hated the yellow DRLs, so until I go ahead with my 8p3 S3 conversion I thought I would replace them with some super bright cree DRLs

these were advertised as brightest ones on the market boasting 50W which is a lot for LEDs. I had some on my other cars but where only 5w ones so was expecting a lot from them and by heck they are bright. They were advertised as canbus ones but may throw up an error which I expected as the a3 has a very sensitive system.

1st one fitted against old

got an error straight away saying DRL was out but was still on so then I fitted next one and same hing happened again saying they were out but still on which is strange as canbus normally turns them off

both fitted and very bright photos don't do them justice

once done to get rid of the error I simply loaded up VCDS and coded the car to say it has LED DRLs just like facelift lights would be coded and error disappeared which I knew would happen so was happy about that.

Now for the new feature as I upgradedy CE from an F to an N from a 2009 A3 i now have the dimming of DRLS once blinker is active like all the new audis which I think is a good feature

Managed to catch the indicator on whilst taking the photo with the dimmer DRL

Just thought I would share my new features in case anyone else wanted them
thanks

Looks nice! Havent yet bought repair wires for my drl's. And i am not sure how i should connect the wires to the ignition feed in the fuse box.

Very nice:) One quick question: Do you need new CE unit in order to code LED DRLs? I have the same bi-xenon lights as you have on my MY2006 sportback and would like to go for LEDs in DRLs, would I be able to code it? Can you tell me what/where did you code? Thanks :)

Ive tried different LED:s on my 2006 sportback but havent got them to work. They wont light up and the car complains about a broken bulb, even tho they were supposed to be "error free" and "canbus compatible"
Anyone have an idea what could be the problem? What did you do to solve it?

Ive tried different LED:s on my 2006 sportback but havent got them to work. They wont light up and the car complains about a broken bulb, even tho they were supposed to be "error free" and "canbus compatible"
Anyone have an idea what could be the problem? What did you do to solve it?

Your car see them as led. Led in headlights for the a3 came first in 2009. So you need a comfort module from a facelift a3. There is sure a other way to make the led drl to work with pre-facelift modules.

Curiosity is a strongest force :D I went out to try it out and there was in fact an option to select Bi-Xenons with LED DRLs, so I changed the coding and after switching the ignition off and on as well as turning the dial for DRLs off and on I ended up with LED DRLs with no errors. I had to adjust the brightness to 60% because LEDs were bright as hell, all perfect now. I need to test it during a day but I think no other adjustments will be necessary :) Wonderfull :)

Your car see them as led. Led in headlights for the a3 came first in 2009. So you need a comfort module from a facelift a3. There is sure a other way to make the led drl to work with pre-facelift modules.

That would depend whether he has factory fitted Bi-xenons or just plain halogens. If Bi-xenons he should be able to change it the same way I did (see my previous comment). With Halogens or Xenons it may be a completly different story, and he might not be avle to change it at all and would need bulbs with specific resistane in order for them to work.

Oh i see. Is this something thats expensive/advanced to retrofit? I thought it had something to do with the efficiency beeing lower with LED:s and thats why the car detects them as a broken bulb. So it wont do any good just adding a resistor of some kind?

EDIT: I have Halogen lights. Not xenon

That would depend whether he has factory fitted Bi-xenons or just plain halogens. If Bi-xenons he should be able to change it the same way I did (see my previous comment). With Halogens or Xenons it may be a completly different story, and he might not be avle to change it at all and would need bulbs with specific resistane in order for them to work.

Upps i spoke to fast

EDIT: I have Halogen lights. Not xenon

Try asking T8ups whether the bulbs he provides here would work with your headlights. I believe they should without giving any errors. He would be more than happy to help I believe.

Looks really good mate, absolutely love black A3s with LED drls, looks real smart!

I so want drls on my 07 8p2 but from what I can tell it would take quite a lot of work and various upgrades?

Thanks guys I think they maybe too bright they are like headlights as I can see the reflection on everything I drive past and behind, not quite sure yet, but there supposed to be seen In the daytime so I suppose they need to be bright.

Fateman It doesn't matter if a car came with halogens or bi-xenons most 2006 models onwards have the F module or higher fitted from factory which supports bi-xenons. My car came with halogens and fitted xenons and coded no problem. I upgraded to N for extra features such as advance comfort menu in dis for adjust things like coming home time, drls and brightness of footwell lighting. Plus I now have the new feature of the DRL dimming on indication which I like. Coding is simple which you found out 09 central electrics, byte 21 and drop down to 06 bi-Xenons with led drls and error disappears

RS3Dan if you want DRL xenons same as mine it's not that much work get the xenons and I can do the rest for you. You will already have correct module for coding as yours is 07 plate judging by your pic.

Reactions: RS3dan
I know the module is the same, I just thought that since you have halogens and you code them as bi-xenons it would throw up bunch of errors and it would not work. I have no means to test it, But yeah if you swap them for bi-xenon units there are no problems.

How much was the N module? and how difficult it is to swap and code? I might go the same way some time in the future if the budget permits :)

Thanks guys I think they maybe too bright they are like headlights as I can see the reflection on everything I drive past and behind, not quite sure yet, but there supposed to be seen In the daytime so I suppose they need to be

RS3Dan if you want DRL xenons same as mine it's not that much work get the xenons and I can do the rest for you. You will already have correct module for coding as yours is 07 plate judging by your pic.

Correct, it is an 07 :)

I don't even want xenons tbh, as I'd need washers then which my bumper doesn't have and it seems like either expensive for OEM or trippy aftermarket which I'm not a fan of lol, can you get halogen headlight units with DRLs in that would fit mine? How would I wire it as mine isn't built to have a constant live with ignition for DRLs as such?

edit: stupid iphone autocorrects!

Last edited:
I don't have halogens I have bi-xenons which I retrofitted, that's why I have drls. N module was cheap with some s3 facelift clocks I fitted too. They usually go for £100 and not too bad to do to be honest but I could do this for you if you wanted.

You don't need washers by law and won't fail mot, they only fail if there fitted and don't work. You can't get halogens with drls but you can enable your fogs as drls if you wish

Hmm so are you saying only xenon/bi xenons have DRLs also? I'm not even sure of the difference between xenon and bixenon lol.. £100 for which bit sorry, the clocks?

Awesome offer thanks a lot, will definitely come back to you on that as I would love them! What do you think the total cost would be roughly? First on the list is a new head unit and mesh grill mind so a while off :(!

I didn't even know you could enable fogs as them either, just with vcds you mean? I want to get the DRLs in the headlight unit anyway as they look so good!

I know you don't, it was just a hypothetical situation for someone who would be looking to coding the DRLs on his halogens. I may have phrased it wrong though as English is not my first language, sorry;)

Well I would need to travel a lot to reach you from Slovakia my friend, but thanks for the offer :)

Fateman It doesn't matter if a car came with halogens or bi-xenons most 2006 models onwards have the F module or higher fitted from factory which supports bi-xenons. My car came with halogens and fitted xenons and coded no problem. I upgraded to N for extra features such as advance comfort menu in dis for adjust things like coming home time, drls and brightness of footwell lighting. Plus I now have the new feature of the DRL dimming on indication which I like. Coding is simple which you found out 09 central electrics, byte 21 and drop down to 06 bi-Xenons with led drls and error disappears

How can i tell if my car have this module that supports bi-xenons?

Just to be clear that we are talking about the same thing here... In my headlight unit there is a W5W/T10 bulb also known as "parkinglight" in my Swedish manual, wich is always turned on and can not be turned off. This is what you call DRL right? Either way, it is positioned in the same place as you DRL:s.

I don't understand all this DRL business.

Why can't people see a moving car in the daytime, if you can't it's time for Specsavers.

Way too bright some of these and painfull to the eye.

If vis is dim, sidelights go on. Normal bulbs are insufficient though , best with 100% brighter LED.

DRLs is the law on new cars so have to be fitted to every new car, plus with these lights as for other Audi DRL headlights they accompanied with bi-Xenons too which one a night time are a must, halogens have nothing on Xenons and personally should be fitted to all cars standard.

The two car pedestrian accidents I've see the aftermath of in my home town has been on junction corners suggesting a pedestrian error whilst crossing.

Even lit up like a Christmas tree these electric cars scare me with their silence. More pedestrian accidents me thinks.

Managed to get a photo of the DRLs at dusk and by heck they are bright you wouldn't think they were just DRLs lol

DRLs is the law on new cars so have to be fitted to every new car, plus with these lights as for other Audi DRL headlights they accompanied with bi-Xenons too which one a night time are a must, halogens have nothing on Xenons and personally should be fitted to all cars standard.

Yet even large cars and MPV's are made with just 1 extremely dull reversing light.

Bonkers !

Personally i would have gone for the 30w cree bulbs. I think they are too bright for DRLs at that brightness. I guess it is just the camera but they look like the could blind you!

30W Cree Bulb Sidelights - From Trups!

Cree 30W edited 1

Last edited:
newbieboyy - i got same car as your car. do you have to take bumper off to install that cree sidelights?

Theoretically no..

However i have normal hands so i had to.

Ypu dont have to take it fully off though, three screws along the top, one on side of headlight, one on top, one near back and then a couple from the wheel arch liner lets you get the bolt from the bck out. Doesnt take too long tbh.