Facelift Sunroof Service? What!?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
Back at the start of 2019 I had my sunroof replaced under warranty (I am sure there are posts on this in the forum as well). They had my car for over 2 months and I wasn’t happy it took them so long.

Eventually after about a month it started making noises again - on this brand new sunroof - I told them by email and also told them I wasn’t coming back anytime soon as I wanted to have my car and use it. So It went through the summer and got to winter last year and I didn’t want to mess about then. Onto 2020 and I was going to take it when the pandemic hit - and now finally I decided (with my warranty up in Feb next year) so visit them about it.

And... Apparently my warranty is invalid as it hasn’t had the sun roof serviced every 20,000 miles.

I knew nothing about this and they claimed that whoever serviced my car should have known about this - I used a local independent - they said they will look at it and oil it up but thats it.

Is this correct? Anyone know?

Back at the start of 2019 I had my sunroof replaced under warranty (I am sure there are posts on this in the forum as well). They had my car for over 2 months and I wasn’t happy it took them so long.

Eventually after about a month it started making noises again - on this brand new sunroof - I told them by email and also told them I wasn’t coming back anytime soon as I wanted to have my car and use it. So It went through the summer and got to winter last year and I didn’t want to mess about then. Onto 2020 and I was going to take it when the pandemic hit - and now finally I decided (with my warranty up in Feb next year) so visit them about it.

And... Apparently my warranty is invalid as it hasn’t had the sun roof serviced every 20,000 miles.

I knew nothing about this and they claimed that whoever serviced my car should have known about this - I used a local independent - they said they will look at it and oil it up but thats it.

Is this correct? Anyone know?
My sunroof creaks as well. Does anyone know what causes it?

I never go to the dealer. I fix everything myself usually. Just haven't given this one much thought really.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Is it listed in the service book with details eg every 20k ?
I would be complaining bitterly as it has not been right since fitted so Audi should fix it, Write to the CEO of the garage and complain and if necessary upgrade to Audi CEO .

Reactions: RGBARGEE
It’s correct that, in order to maintain the warranty on the sunroof, it needs to be regularly serviced - you can check with Audi customer services. I think it’s just a way to avoid responsibility myself, but the rules are the rules.

Reactions: Pinky1959
All service work required is listed on the my Audi site
Upload 2020 12 16 20 25 19

Reactions: Spinstorm
Would be nice if Audi’s service schedule matched there stated service mileages. When I asked how often the service was I was told 9000 miles if you don’t drive it often or you just use it round town or 18000 if you clock up the miles so Audi’s 20000, 40000 miles goes out of canter very quickly. Mines been serviced twice so far by Audi and not once have they mentioned the Haldex filter and oil service but were quick to try and sell me a sunroof service for £240.
There’s plenty of videos on YouTube on how to grease and adjust your sunroof if it’s squeaking.

Would be nice if Audi’s service schedule matched there stated service mileages. When I asked how often the service was I was told 9000 miles if you don’t drive it often or you just use it round town or 18000 if you clock up the miles so Audi’s 20000, 40000 miles goes out of canter very quickly. Mines been serviced twice so far by Audi and not once have they mentioned the Haldex filter and oil service but were quick to try and sell me a sunroof service for £240.
There’s plenty of videos on YouTube on how to grease and adjust your sunroof if it’s squeaking.

£240 is steep. I’m sure it was £80 on my old a6.
Another thing to remember is air con service is every 2 years otherwise you lose the warranty ok that too so I’m told by the service manager at the last service.

Another thing to remember is air con service is every 2 years otherwise you lose the warranty ok that too so I’m told by the service manager at the last service.
Is the air-con warranty dependant upon the 2 year service? This was not the case with my previous VAG cars, VW and Skoda. I'm not saying it does not need doing as I strongly believe it does but have always gone independent. If Audi says it must be done then it should be included in the cost of the service and not be a separate charged item.

Colin

I thought it was steep as other have had there’s serviced at an Audi dealer for around the £80 price point. Maybe it’s the dealership owner (lookers) as you would think that it should be the same price at any Audi dealers for the same service.

I thought it was steep as other have had there’s serviced at an Audi dealer for around the £80 price point. Maybe it’s the dealership owner (lookers) as you would think that it should be the same price at any Audi dealers for the same service.

for £240 I would expect an oil service and sunroof. my old Audi was serviced at a lookers branch. £80 to 240 is some inflation. Also sure the a6 pano roof is much bigger than the a3 so would expect it to be more.

All service work required is listed on the my Audi site
View attachment 213455

If that is correct then I’m fine. They changed the sunroof in February 2019 and if it’s every 2 years or every 40,000 miles it’s under both.

But they told me 20k miles. Additionally I agree that they changed the whole mechanism and it wasn’t sorted.

In all honesty I’m not looking for them to swap the whole thing again - it’s almost 3 years and I’ll probably trade it in soon - all I was asking was that they grease it and check it and if an obvious part was faulty replace it. But not the whole mechanism.

A sunroof service for £240 :wtf:

never even heard of a sunroof service!
Daylight robbery

Reactions: S32B
When my car went in for service at 2 years old, I had to request and affirm my request to service the pano roof as the dealer said they weren’t aware it was needed.

It was the best part of 200 squid and went from silky smooth pre-service to a bit graunchy afterwards.

Dealers know the options on every car so it’s pretty poor that they don’t flag additional work that is required.

As well as a wipe around the seals plus a dab of grease here and there, it will also need plugging into the mothership to recalibrate the parameters and compensate for the increase in friction the module has "learnt" over the last two years, this is because the motors will now see a reduce in friction due to the grease. It will be a lengthy professional job that can only be done by a fully trained Mastertech and can't be underestimated. Well worth £240.
You did buy an Audi and obviously are obliged to keep your tip top in "tip-top" condition.
Upselling on a grand scale.

I have never had a sunroof serviced by Audi last 2 cars have been fitted with them

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Over £200 for a sunroof service, even by Audi standards that’s taking the ****

Reactions: S32B
I had a pano roof on my late A3 sport back in 7 years never had a service I just cleaned and oiled the runners it was fine.

Reactions: RS3 S.
As above my last 3 Audi's have had a Pano Roof & I've never had a problem or them serviced. You can buy some ''special grease'' from Audi i believe ? & with the help of you tube it looks fairly diy.

The only time we have had with Pano roofs on several Audis 3/4/6 was after the car was baked following minor body repair. Seems the oven 'unstuck' the roof cassette. Sorry to hear an Independent did not follow Audi service guidelines for roof. They are clear and as stated I would take it up with the garage. My Audi dealer is great and I would not want to lose a full Audi history for the sake of very little cash savings.

I think its worth challenging for several reasons, 1st its an outstanding roof fault & if you reported this before but couldn't afford to lose the car for months again, then this should hold weight on the warranty claim, 2nd, anyone with half a brain would take covid into the discussion & understandably see reason why you wouldn't want to come into the garage.

I fail to see why it took 2 months to replace a roof, short of part delays, there's simply no reason for this.

I would raise this as an issue with audi & use the longevity of no car as 1 reason you didnt go back, assuming you've driven more then 20k since they had it last, if you have a record, invoice of an indy service, show them this & it should be acceptable.

I remember reading on here a while ago about the outrageous prices that Audi charge to "service" a panoramic roof so was relieved that I didnt have one.
I do have one now on my Mercedes and assume that they will want to rip me off as much or more than Audi would, but apart from opening it once when I bought the car just to try it I have no plans to ever open it again....I simply enjoy the extra light it lets into the cabin.
So I am not bothered about losing any warranty on the sunroof. :innocent:

@Spinstorm I'm assuming you have driven over 20k miles since your roof was replaced, but regardless of that you still appear to be officially fully covered. :)
It will be interesting to hear how your dealer responds when it is down in black and white as 40k/2 years.

I remember reading on here a while ago about the outrageous prices that Audi charge to "service" a panoramic roof so was relieved that I didnt have one.
I do have one now on my Mercedes and assume that they will want to rip me off as much or more than Audi would, but apart from opening it once when I bought the car just to try it I have no plans to ever open it again....I simply enjoy the extra light it lets into the cabin.
So I am not bothered about losing any warranty on the sunroof. :innocent:

@Spinstorm I'm assuming you have driven over 20k miles since your roof was replaced, but regardless of that you still appear to be officially fully covered. :)
It will be interesting to hear how your dealer responds when it is down in black and white as 40k/2 years.

If you think Audi service prices are high wait till you see the mercs :wink:
Still not as bad as Land Rover where I was quoted £900 for first year oil change just before they had to rebuild the engine.

If you think Audi service prices are high wait till you see the mercs :wink:
I already had an idea so jumped at their 20% discount offer in the Summer - getting first 2 services for £576.

Reactions: AlS3BE
If the roof service requires headlining removal, kinda makes sense the cost, but I wouldn't expect it requires that much work.

If the roof service requires headlining removal, kinda makes sense the cost, but I wouldn't expect it requires that much work.

Nothing like. I have the full procedure in PDF form. Pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NHN
If I believe my semi useless Factory Manuals manual for S3 the work looks like > 1 hr labour if done religiously. Vacuum cleaning, seal lubrication from the exteriour and interiour, lubricating guide rails which are a bit labyrinth. Cleaning solution and lubricants are Audi brnds and not commonly available except the rubber lubricant which can be got from Amazon but is quite expensive.
Seems like a possible trap for overconfident DIYs. Example from manual for guide rail lube
"No white/grey grease: Open and close sunroof completely;
this must not produce any vibrations or noises (rattling,
squeaking, clicking) other than those of normal operation"
ie do nothing.
I have a sun roof which I keep closed for the most part and would not have chosen it if it were an option.

So to confirm the official time between roof service is 40k/2 years?

I was at 24k when I took it in. And currently at 53k.

It is booked in for January.

Reactions: Ron240
I have a sun roof which I keep closed for the most part and would not have chosen it if it were an option.

Thanks for the info - selected text quoted above.

My first sunroof was mid 90s before a/c was mainstream. I have had cars with and without sun roofs.

Some people like it for the light but S/RS (as you quoted S cars above) with pano - when open, man that is a great acoustic accompaniment to driving for MY18 and earlier. Pano is a bit of an overstatement though.

No pano = stiffer shell, no creaks and obviously no risk of water leaks.

Everyone has their own preferences.

Reactions: Jcbmally
No pano = stiffer shell, no creaks and obviously no risk of water leaks..
I think we are getting old mate, I now see things like that...one less thing to go wrong or service :)

We recently thought we'd have to buy a new washing machine (luckily it was fixed), but I only looked at the basic put your stuff in and wash it, why do I need to add clothes mid wash, why do I need to set a timer for when it comes on etc. I even saw one that has wifi so you can control it when you are not there :wtf::blink:

If you told someone this 10 years back they'd think it was on par with 'tartan paint' :p

"The Home Connect app conveniently lets you control and monitor your machine remotely, now you can run your home the way you like, even if you aren't there."

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, AlS3BE and 1 other person
What is the recommended oil for an RS3? for a gearbox oil change?

You expecting an oil Apocalypse?

That’s the same for the RS3?

6 x 1 litre bottles which is required to do it as per Audi procedure, trust me I’ve done quite a few now

Reactions: pburv
Pan roof service is just a clean and regrease the rails with krytox paste, should be done every 2 year or 40,000miles which comes soonest. Audi have quoted me £120 for this but refuse to give me a breakdown of the total job, ie they won’t tell me what parts no will be used or the labour cost. Can anyone provide what the part no should be, as I just tried to get this done by my independent who told me that they have changed the part codes and that TPS doesn’t show the new part.

as they used to be G 060 751 A2 and G 052 141 A2 but these are now the wrong parts.

Pan roof service is just a clean and regrease the rails with krytox paste, should be done every 2 year or 40,000miles which comes soonest. Audi have quoted me £120 for this but refuse to give me a breakdown of the total job, ie they won’t tell me what parts no will be used or the labour cost. Can anyone provide what the part no should be, as I just tried to get this done by my independent who told me that they have changed the part codes and that TPS doesn’t show the new part.

as they used to be G 060 751 A2 and G 052 141 A2 but these are now the wrong parts.
It does not inspire confidence when they refuse to give a breakdown of the cost....which would naturally lead you to the conclusion that you are being ripped off and they know it.
The job is simply a clean and regrease so what parts are used in addition to the paste that you mention?
I am assuming the part numbers you quote no longer exist, otherwise there would be no problem in using them to do the exact same job?
Sorry I'm just trying to get my head around this. :)

Poppycock nothing wrong with those part numbers !

d38cdb8bf2da98f724bde0aadbbfde46.jpeg

3c7c6f2d2256bae8109b1e412f72f347.jpg

Reactions: creweaudiparts and AlS3BE