sunroof`s

redlinehigh

Reaction score
i`m interested in your oppinion on whether having a sunroof in ya s3 is important, to lighten up the cabin, as the demostrators i`ve sat in seem abit dark and gloomy?? or is this an expensive option that would be nice but too much money??
also does anyone know if sunroofs are hassle with leaks etc. these days??

Welome to the site :)

I've never felt like my car is a dark place to be, i've got alcantara with black headlining. If if concerns you, try to find a car with the grey headlining, i'd imagine that would lighten it up a bit.

Si.

I wish that a lighter colour was a cost free option, it is darker inside and the black headlining makes the front screen appear more 'letterbox'....

The Panoramic Roof is a great option on S3 and S-Line as the black roof lining can be a bit imposing and gloomy.

Paid £817 for the option and should get back c £500 after 3 years so not a huge cost really when you look at the dead money we spend on some other options.

I've got a sunroof and the silver headliner. It's a nice contrast to the otherwise very dark interior. I'm in two minds whether it's worth the money but I think I'd do it again.

I'd be very surprised if there are problems with leaks.

I have it and is a nice to have. Not essential by any means but it does let a fair amount of light into the car. Note the pano roof is actually only a large one piece section as opposed to the two piece the A3 8P used to have.

It does not rob any head room either unlike a regular sunroof as the panel raises over the car when fully open.

Also think the pano roof contrasts nicely against lighter colour paints.

Reactions: sunscreemer
I have the pan roof as well, and would entirely agree with M_D_O_London above. If you can afford it personally I think its a good option to have, I'm really glad I chose it and would have it again in a heartbeat

Its an option on the configurator. Not sure of cost on s-line but i'm sure its free to change on S3. You can go (seat/headliner) black/black, silver/black, black/silver or silver/silver.

Sorry, perhaps a bit misleading. Think its just black on s-line, couldn't see option to change.

I have a silver headlining on an S3. It is a no cost option in the UK and it does lighten the car up. I also have the sunroof which I think is a good option albeit not genuinely 'panoramic'. No leaks (!) but I do have an annoying rattle from the roof area. Hope I am getting it fixed on the warranty tomorrow.

Oh no... We had an annoying rattle on an 8P double Pano roof that took 2 years to fix.. had hoped the new single bigger roof would have cured things.

No rattle's on my Pano roof at all and had my S3 just on a year now with 8k miles on clock

Anyone know how to open roof fully from the key?

Nope, ours opens and shuts fully.
Just to confirm when u press open hold all windows and roof fully opens? My roof just goes on tilt. You cant change that on the mmi. Does anyone know how 2?

Well the garage tells me that they got the annoying sunroof rattle before they even drove out of their car park! They think they will have to keep the car longer to take the roof right out. Not great but at least I have a courtesy car, downside is it is an A4 diesel. I cannot believe how bad (vague) the steering is, just as well it is so slow!

Well the garage tells me that they got the annoying sunroof rattle before they even drove out of their car park! They think they will have to keep the car longer to take the roof right out. Not great but at least I have a courtesy car, downside is it is an A4 diesel. I cannot believe how bad (vague) the steering is, just as well it is so slow!
My pan is great glad I specked it. I use it even in the rain

Reactions: Blackwhite
Just to confirm when u press open hold all windows and roof fully opens? My roof just goes on tilt. You cant change that on the mmi. Does anyone know how 2?

I've actually used mine last few days and it's been fab. Quite nice to open and close it on the key but mine also only tilts I'll hold it for longer when I'm next out also I only have the sunroof open ticked in the MMI and not the front or/and rear windows maybe that makes a difference ?

Reactions: Jassyo06
LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUVVVV my glass roof, both inside and especially outside...coordinates perfectly with my black styling pack/black roof rails/privacy...l try to get it open at any oppurtunity,but after 60 mph....the car tells you "Air Resistance Please Close Roof".........Magic....lol

Reactions: Rob2k68
When you think you're about to be sucked out the roof switch to tilt lol :beerchug:

We have 2 s3s, both with silver leather and pan roof. One has black headlining and another silver, it's easier on the eyes with the silver, but feels more airy. I have black and it's quite a contrast with the glass roof.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jassyo06

I've done some digging and although cannot confirm 100% it looks like this is possible using VCDS it cannot be done on the MMI with any combination of front and rear windows I've tried every combination. This is what I found in the VCDS thread :-

1. Select STG 09 (vehicle power)
2. STG access permissions -> Function 16
3. Enter access code 31347
4. STG adjustment -> Function 10
5. Select Comfort opening direction SAD - channel (9) - Access Control 2
6. Emphasis on open set default: tilting

The missers has silver headlining in her A1. I have the black in my S3. I noticed the difference between the two the other day and thought that next time I will option the pano roof to open it up a bit. I don't really have a problem with the black, but on a nice summers day you do miss the sunroof... I didn't option it this time round as the sunroof on my other car was a nightmare, blocked drain tubes, filling the car, etc.

I love a sunroof !

Always pull the inside screen/cover over the sunroof when its closed....

All or nothing !

Perfect day for a sunroof

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and ACWKGYTO
^^^ Absolutely !!!! Starting to really enjoy this option :icon thumright:

l need Sunglasses in this weather before l even enter the car.........lol Lunar Silver is God Damn bright when the sun hits it lol,Rob l tried the Global Opening today......and guess what the Panroof Tilted..............lol

Reactions: Rob2k68
I kind of like the dark almost claustrophobic all black interior. But I also loved my convertibles. Pano roof a happy medium as can have closed with shutter, let some light in or let some/lots of air in. Looking forward to it. Plus I agree it looks good especially on a lighter colour car.

Pano-roof is nice but should have been a deletable option. Don't really like how it looks when fully open.

I think it may be a wee bit on the lighter side so i may add a layer of tint to it...

Pano-roof is nice but should have been a deletable option. Don't really like how it looks when fully open.

I think it may be a wee bit on the lighter side so i may add a layer of tint to it...

Deletable option ? its not a standard option

It is standard in the US but I wish it wasn't.

Would've been nice as a no cost option. I like hard tops better.

Ok didnt realise that...must be terrible having all that sunshine !

Reactions: Zache
> i`m interested in your oppinion on whether having a sunroof in ya s3 is important

Yes, very. I've never owned a car w/o a sunroof and probably never will. In fact I had decided to order a 2015 Golf R but then discovered that a sunroof is not an option here in the US. Instant deal breaker, I hadn't realized how important that feature is to me until that moment.

I've done some digging and although cannot confirm 100% it looks like this is possible using VCDS it cannot be done on the MMI with any combination of front and rear windows I've tried every combination. This is what I found in the VCDS thread :-

1. Select STG 09 (vehicle power)
2. STG access permissions -> Function 16
4. STG adjustment -> Function 10
5. Select Comfort opening direction SAD - channel (9) - Access Control 2
6. Emphasis on open set default: tilting

Activated this just now on my Saloon:

1. Control Module 09 - Central Electronics
2. Security Access - 16
4. Adaptation - 10
5. Channel = (10) - Access control 2-SAD Richtung Komfortoeffnen