Sunglasses holder?

Jerodequin

Reaction score
One thing I miss from my previous car is a built in sunglasses holder - I've read some older threads that suggest you could use a Golf part to replace the driver side grab handle but this seems to be talking about the 8P rather than the 8V - anyone got any idea whether it's possible to do this? (not sure why the car doesn't have one - the A4 and many other competing models from other brands have them too!)

This sort of thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-VW-Vo...179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ec74ffed3

Use the compartment under the driver seat? That's what I do.

Or get one of those clip things that sit on the sun visor?

The problem with keeping them in the glovebox or in the under-seat storage is when you want to put them on whilst you're actually driving.

I have a accessory that fits into one of the cup holders that is just right for my sunglasses and I can very easily reach them when driving.
It's an Audi part and I think the number is: -
8V0 863 617 cup holder insert - here is a picture of one on the German 8V eBay site:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-Origina...734524850?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item58a58bcdb2

I purchased mine through my normal Audi dealer.

Reactions: veeeight
As h5djr says - there's nothing 'wrong' per se with the glovebox or underseat storage, but neither are particularly convenient to remove glasses and put them on when driving. A roof mounted holder is really easy to use, the glasses are easily reachable - especially useful for me as I wear seeing glasses too so have to take these off quickly and swap them with the sunglasses.

The cup holder solution looks more useful but I do often use both holders so wouldn't work for me :(

This is how it works in the A4 and my previous car (Mk3 Focus)
4-focus-sunglasses.jpg

I leave mine in a case in a cup holder on the little shelf behind the cup holders.

As h5djr says - there's nothing 'wrong' per se with the glovebox or underseat storage, but neither are particularly convenient to remove glasses and put them on when driving. A roof mounted holder is really easy to use, the glasses are easily reachable - especially useful for me as I wear seeing glasses too so have to take these off quickly and swap them with the sunglasses.

The cup holder solution looks more useful but I do often use both holders so wouldn't work for me :(

This is how it works in the A4 and my previous car (Mk3 Focus)
4-focus-sunglasses.jpg
I found the focus method a far neater solution than any of the suggestions, however quite often the damm things used to buzz or rattle.

Reactions: irowpod
No problem for me living in Devon - the ****** sun never shines here anyway so no need for sunglasses!

I keep mine in the centre arm rest compartment.

So do I, but not as convenient as a proper holder. My Golf had one in the roof console and it worked much better

I have no trouble fetching them from the glovebox when driving really - it's a little bit of a stretch but I can still keep my eyes on the road while I do it. Failing that, as someone else suggested, use the compartment under the armrest?

I wouldn't want to do either the glovebox or centre arm rest at 70mph. Mine have to have presciption lenses in them.

You could have ACC and Active Lane Assist switched on, that will enable you to drive without your glasses on .............. :p

(Tongue firmly in cheek)

Reactions: irowpod and Blackwhite
HelI I speed up without any glasses, can't see no obstructions ahead...

Reactions: AllanG
It's not, but not a bad idea. Might get myself one see what it's like

I purposely didn't spec a sunroof because, on previous cars I've owned, this option removed the sunglasses compartment.

I was slightly disappointed when taking delivery to see no sunglasses holder. It's probably the only gripe I have with the interior of the S3.