Summer season detailing outside (tips for eliminating the sun)

AJ91

Reaction score
So with spring around the corner its time to do my yearly detailing...outside.

With weather and wind not always cooperating this can be a pain, direct sunlight and rain being the enemy.

What my plans are:

After winter wash, remove old wax layer (fireglaze) with wax off, wetsand some scratches and overused paintchip repair spots although autoglym tar off might do the job there not sure. Clay bar and apply new wax using Soft99 Fusso Coat 12 months Dark wax which is supposed to be great. Also an interior detailing on top of that.

Beer, some good Music and its doable if I start early morning but im just wondering about the steps I should take and also if anyone know some good party tents to eliminate any direct sunlight as I wont have a garage this time around. Not way too expensive.

So the steps I should take for this to be properly done..

Spray selected degreasing agent and let it sit to remove old salt and tar and what not that has attacked the car during the Winter months.

Properly wash using the 2 bucket method with grit guards.

Dry the car. use wax off to remove old layer.

Clay bar.

Check the paint and wet sand any visible clear coat scratches/overused paint repair spots and polish that area up.

Apply the fusso coat wax.

Done?

Also want to ceramic pro protect the car later on in the season Before Winter starts again, thats the plans anyway.

Any tips or inputs are all appreciated. A good beer to enjoy during all this work wont hurt either.

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Reactions: Sandra
Instead of wet sanding unless you have a spray booth da compound and polish would be less aggressive and would bring the same results do you have any wheel protection

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

Instead of wet sanding unless you have a spray booth da compound and polish would be less aggressive and would bring the same results do you have any wheel protection

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

Might go with a polish instead.

My new Wheels have a fireglaze coat on them now as they go on.

This is how i battle the sun:

c737e07ca65936e576ec7bdaca6d5680.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: V6_Man, pastey, Nigeltdi4life and 3 others
Damn, thats smart! Should be loads around now as the summer is coming.

Will look into it!

Great looking rs4!

Reactions: DeanoC
Damn, thats smart! Should be loads around now as the summer is coming.

Will look into it!

Great looking rs4!
Thanks mate

Reactions: AJ91
On ceramic coatings i can't recommend gtechniq crystal serum and exo v3 amd then some g1 on the windows. Check my build thread in the RS section for some vids.

Reactions: Pook and AJ91
This is how i battle the sun:

c737e07ca65936e576ec7bdaca6d5680.jpg

If i did that my neighbours would ring the local mental home and someone would take me away lol i already get strange looks when I snow foam my car and spend a couple hours cleaning it lol

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Pook
If i did that my neighbours would ring the local mental home and someone would take me away lol i already get strange looks when I snow foam my car and spend a couple hours cleaning it lol

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Haha. I had a copper stop and ask if i had a permit

I was looking into polishing the car before I apply the wax by hand to make the paint pop a bit more and remove some errors in the paint, minor scratching etc.

Can anyone recommend a good polish you can apply by hand? Been looking into Bilt Hambler Cleanser Polish which looks great.

I was looking into polishing the car before I apply the wax by hand to make the paint pop a bit more and remove some errors in the paint, minor scratching etc.

Can anyone recommend a good polish you can apply by hand? Been looking into Bilt Hambler Cleanser Polish which looks great.
Any old clay and polish will help. AG super resin polish is fine. You won't be removing marring and swirls by hand though. Your best best would be to hide them under the wax using somthing like zaino z5. I've had some great results with that stuff.

Reactions: AJ91
Cheers. will look into that! I do have a machine but im not used to polishing myself so might have to get it to a real detailer later but as its a daily car I use I dont want to spend too much either.

Cheers. will look into that! I do have a machine but im not used to polishing myself so might have to get it to a real detailer later but as its a daily car I use I dont want to spend too much either.
If it is a DA polisher and not orbital it's pretty safe in anyone's hands. Just draw a thick line on the disc with a pen and make sure it is always spinning.

Reactions: odub and AJ91
I had an offer of 350p from a guy with good recomendations to polish my car (swirls, scratches) and seal it with ceramic paint protection with 6 yrs warranty and 24months intervall re-buff treatment.

Not too expensive and his work is really good but it kinda sucks now that I bought so many Products myself... is it Worth it or should I do Everything myself first and perhaps let him do it Before the Winter if mine doesnt turn out great?

IMG 0111
IMG 0115
IMG 0116
IMG 0117
IMG 0110
IMG 0109

I took the time this Saturday to detail the car as it was cloudy all day and perfect temperature.

Started 8 am and finished around 7pm.

Washed it as perfect as I could, wheel wells, under the car to remove any salt left.

Clay bar was used, first time for me and I loved it. Rust particles from studded tires etc all removed.

Dried the car and then went on to polish with machine and the result was amazing. Swirls was gone that has bothered me a lot last summer and then I cleaned the car again with bilt hambers cleanser fluid before I applied the wax, fusso coat soft 99. Easy to use and the finish was over my expectations.

Also fixed some stone chips in the wheel wells and other areas that looked a bit worrying.

Cleaned under the bonnet and inside the car, swapped the rubber feet protection to the summer carpets.

It took time but damn worth it now.

Only thing left now is the springs to be mounted on and to paint the collision steel barrier up front behind the RS grille black.

Love how the water pearls up and also just glides off when it rains now.

Last edited:
Reactions: chris11122 and Pook
View attachment 122147 View attachment 122148 View attachment 122149 View attachment 122150 View attachment 122152 View attachment 122144

I took the time this Saturday to detail the car as it was cloudy all day and perfect temperature.

Started 8 am and finished around 7pm.

Washed it as perfect as I could, wheel wells, under the car to remove any salt left.

Clay bar was used, first time for me and I loved it. Rust particles from studded tires etc all removed.

Dried the car and then went on to polish with machine and the result was amazing. Swirls was gone that has bothered me a lot last summer and then I cleaned the car again with bilt hambers cleanser fluid before I applied the wax, fusso coat soft 99. Easy to use and the finish was over my expectations.

Also fixed some stone chips in the wheel wells and other areas that looked a bit worrying.

Cleaned under the bonnet and inside the car, swapped the rubber feet protection to the summer carpets.

It took time but damn worth it now.

Only thing left now is the springs to be mounted on and to paint the collision steel barrier up front behind the RS grille black.

Love how the water pearls up and also just glides off when it rains now.

Might just be reflection, but is that a scratch?

Sc

Reflection or wax residue I hadnt buffed off 100%.

Reactions: SamR92