Suggestions please! A3 S-tronic Sportback - Diesel or Petrol

V6_Man

Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Folks,

I have been trying to search the complex world of web however, couldn't find a definitive answer so thought I'd ask you helpful lot!

I have an A4 B7 (2.0 Tdi CVT 140bhp with 65k on the clock) that I want to sell and buy an A3 Sportback (this is not selling thread, at all). The A3 is going to be our workhorse(ish) and will be mainly used by my misses for school runs and spending my money anything she can perhaps think of - she is ****** creative when it comes to spending money :cry:

She has driven manuals but for the last couple of years has been driving autos and is pretty comfortable with it. Her average mileage a month is or perhaps should be no more than 500 miles (mainly local) but just like her creativity has no boundaries she is quite capable of doing between 600 - 800 miles - anyways, let not turn this in to whining thread and back to what the forum is for - to discuss cars!!!

There are couple that I have seen at the dealerships (not checked auto-traders so far). Ideally would not want to spend more than £5k on a used car but understand you can't get a ****-horse in that money let alone a workhorse. The two I have seen so far and are kind of on the upper end of my budget are:

1- Audi A3 Sportback. 2.0 Tdi Stronic - 140PS. It is an 09 plate with 49k miles on the clock.
2- Audi A3 Sportback. 1.4 TFSI Stronic - 125PS. It is a 10 plate with ****** 67k miles on the clock (looks like the owner was mainly on the roads most of the times and didn't have anything exciting in their lives)

My question is; of the above two, which one would be your preferred choice. I am more inclined towards petrol and this is purely due to the local miles she does however, I drive the car as and when needed as well and therefore could do some long journeys. Should I go for a petrol or a diesel? Are there any gearbox horror stories I need to be aware of or any oil issues etc.

Would really appreciate help and guidance.

For school runs and shopping etc id go petrol. Mrs now has a 1.4tsi golf and it's miles better on fuel round town than her old A3 2.0tdi was. Plus it's also quite nice on long runs too. Have had much fewer issues so far than the old diesel did.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc and V6_Man
For school runs and shopping etc id go petrol. Mrs now has a 1.4tsi golf and it's miles better on fuel round town than her old A3 2.0tdi was. Plus it's also quite nice on long runs too. Have had much fewer issues so far than the old diesel did.

Cheers bud. Exactly what I have been thinking. Because of her mileage the A4 diesel gives me between 420-450 miles max locally. On a long drive it is absolutely fine and I can easily hit between 550-600 miles. The max I have hit is 650 but that was when I filled it up and left Switzerland and reached Oxford on the same tank of fuel. But that kind of journey is one off.

If petrol I might remap it just to get a little bit more power/economy. What is the max Stronic gearbox can handle and would it be a sensible thing to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc and tut_gareth
They're surprisingly nippy for 125ps. I've read they can go to 170 easily. Think you can re-program the dsg boxes but not sure about stronic...
Mrs golf is seeing about 39mpg round town, but on a run I managed 52! which Is better than my A4 has ever done!
My next vehicle will be petrol again. Have been so disappointed with the Vag 2.0tdis compared the the 1.9s and 2.5s I've had in the past.

might be worth considering what the Goverment might do to the price off diesel cars and the price off dieael at the pumps

Petrol all the way. Using a derv on short journeys is going to wreck the dpf.

Reactions: V6_Man, 45bvtc and tut_gareth
but 1.4 isn't too small for sportback? is heavy car, I remember when I got my bkd stock with 140hp, sometimes wasn't enough for me (but it's just me). Obviously if you tune it also 1.4tfsi that is already pushed too much, will be less reliable, i would go for 1.8tfsi, or specially for short journeys something without turbo. classic petrol would be the best, but again 1.6 petrol is so weak and doing less mpg than 2.0 tdi.

Reactions: V6_Man and 45bvtc
Folks,

Audi A3 Sportback. 1.4 TFSI Stronic - 125PS. It is a 10 plate with ****** 67k miles on the clock

Petrol DSG every time, Tashfeen. We've a 185BHP 1.4 with 7-speed DSG in an A1 and getting 50+ on a regular 12-mile run, from cold, is easily achievable; similarly, our 90bhp 3-pot diesel A2 (similar weight/size) would struggle to do that; and for sure the diesel with manual 5-speed was in no way as pleasant to drive as the 1.4 petrol.

If DSG make sure to get steering-wheel paddle-shift as it makes a huge difference to DSG over-ride.

Rightly or wrongly European (inc. UK) politicians have now stuck the knife into the use of the diesel engine in private motor vehicles - so another reason for going petrol is that the petrol powered variant will hold its value better.

Reactions: V6_Man and tut_gareth
Cheers for the input folks. Looks like I'll have to book in a test drive and find out. Will make sure I take my missus' A4 when I go there (for obvious reasons )

Reactions: 45bvtc
I'd deffo buy another DSG without a second thought.

Im ny humble opinion that engine is too small for the A3. I wouldn't like to be caught with my trousers down on slip roads or when overtaking.

Having said that, short runs with a diesel engine are asking for trouble. A weekly run of minimum 20 minutes on the motorway will do it a world of good.

Thanks for the input guys. Going to include 1.6 petrol to the search list as well. Let's see what we can find

1.6 petrol is even slower than 1.4 turbo

Reactions: V6_Man
Ah, I missed the point earlier. It is going to be 1.6 and above variants. Having said that, I drove a courtesy 1.6 petrol last week and I found it was really nippy. I was genuinely impressed. However, it might be because it was a newer engine with only 2k on the clock.

Thanks for the input guys. Going to include 1.6 petrol to the search list as well. Let's see what we can find

This might help and surprise, Tashfeen:

Upload 2017 7 28 18 14 28

Or not...

Good luck, Tashfeen... :superman:

PM me and I'll send you the 'valid from' December 2009 Sales Guide for the A3 and S3

I have a 1.4TFSI manual. It is quite nippy but at times I think it's too underpowered. No real point in mapping it either. I get very poor mpg in city driving.
Go for the 1.8T or even the 2.0T. Both can be easily remapped.

This might help and surprise, Tashfeen:

View attachment 132077

Or not...

Good luck, Tashfeen... :superman:

PM me and I'll send you the 'valid from' December 2009 Sales Guide for the A3 and S3

This has surprised me @45bvtc. I wasn't expecting this from 1.4, at all and I am sure it will surprise many. PM'd

Reactions: 45bvtc