Suggestion for audi a3

ShellUK

Reaction score
For reliability which engine is the best from 70-100k mileage? Audi a3 8v s tronic only. Either 2.0 tdi or 1.8 tfsi?

looking to upgrade from my mk6 golf.

Unless your annual mileage really justifies the diesel, I'd always get a petrol personally, especially these days.

Reactions: N.J.H
Sorry for the late reply. I do about 15000miles a year most for work so diesel isnt a problem for me.
What i would like is an engine that can last me the long run. Either 1.8 tfsi or 2.0 tdi(2015 or newer due to ULEZ)

Sorry for the late reply. I do about 15000miles a year most for work so diesel isnt a problem for me.
What i would like is an engine that can last me the long run. Either 1.8 tfsi or 2.0 tdi(2015 or newer due to ULEZ)

If you're wanting a sporty TDI, then forget about Audi. Go for a Golf GTD. Cracking cars.

Reactions: Ormesome
Even though my mileage is low, I still choose Diesels these days, with the thought of being able to take a road trip and it not costing a fortune, its my preferred way.

I did however used to own various Evo's, Impreza's and S3 powered Mk2 Golf, so my love affair with Shell petrol stations low expired after they bankrupted me.

For reliability which engine is the best from 70-100k mileage? Audi a3 8v s tronic only. Either 2.0 tdi or 1.8 tfsi?

looking to upgrade from my mk6 golf.

Not got a clue if its the same engine, but I have the 2.0tdi in my Q2 with S-Tronic and Quattro. If you can get this set up then it's really worth it. I went from an A3 with 1.6tdi with 105 bhp to this 2.0tdi that has 190bhp. I also had the GTD that is mentioned before and it is a great car, not sure if it's better than the A3, can't really compare as my A3 was quite underpowered compared to the GTD but the GTD was immense fun. The current diesel is good fun too, a lot of power for 190bhp, feels faster than what it is. The only thing i would say is to check your driving. I'm a big fan of diesel because I do trips across Europe to visit family and so on but at the moment I'm doing around 5 miles a day max. My MPG is around 20mpg around town because it never gets hot enough... i don't mind as i then get around 50mpg+ on a trip when i do go so its justified but if you're looking at town usage and then some trips to make up your mileage like me then a petrol might be better.

Also, have you checked the ULEZ? my mum has a 2016 Captur and it still pays the full congestion charge plus ULEZ charge. IT has to be over EU6b I think...

If you're wanting a sporty TDI, then forget about Audi. Go for a Golf GTD. Cracking cars.

You can get the same engine (184) in the A3 with the additional bonus of having 4 wheel drive. Having owned one of these it’s one hell of car, both in terms in terms of reliability and performance, thought not the best on economy at times. Personally I would go for the A3 2.0 TDI in the 184 guise at your annual mileage.

Reactions: wab172uk
You can get the same engine (184) in the A3 with the additional bonus of having 4 wheel drive. Having owned one of these it’s one hell of car, both in terms in terms of reliability and performance, thought not the best on economy at times. Personally I would go for the A3 2.0 TDI in the 184 guise at your annual mileage.

Would anyone really need AWD with just 184bhp though? Just adds weight and dulls the handing. Great in the winter though.

Would anyone really need AWD with just 184bhp though? Just adds weight and dulls the handing. Great in the winter though.

Dulls handling? are you on crack? :)

AWD is the best type of driven wheels for any car.

Front wheel drive is like a toy car and RWD is great when its sunny, but in England, thats pretty rare!

Brother in-law had a previous generation A3 AWD diesel, 17obhp I think. I cannot recall if it was 280 or 380K he did before trading it in for an A4 Allroad. Yes the car did have repair bills but Audi often met parts of these well into high mileage. He was very impressed with the car and it never let him down. He would not go back to a 2WD after it.

Colin

Brother in-law had a previous generation A3 AWD diesel, 17obhp I think. I cannot recall if it was 280 or 380K he did before trading it in for an A4 Allroad. Yes the car did have repair bills but Audi often met parts of these well into high mileage. He was very impressed with the car and it never let him down. He would not go back to a 2WD after it.

Colin

I went back to FWD for a stint in an A3 8P, from Impreza's and Evo's, and it felt like a toy. Now I am back in an AWD its much better, although the A3/S3 will never compete with an Impreza or an Evo, its sure better and I' will never go back now.

Juicy though...the only downside really.

Dulls handling? are you on crack? :)

AWD is the best type of driven wheels for any car.

Front wheel drive is like a toy car and RWD is great when its sunny, but in England, thats pretty rare!

I agree the handling on the AWD is way better, though does require a bit more maintenance with the Haldex oil for example. Having driven both the GTD and A3 184 with AWD, the Audi outshines the golf by miles in terms or road handling.