Suggest me a hybrid turbo!

Reaction score
Good Evening all!

New here, been a long time lurker however I finally decided to start an account.
I have a standard 1.8T A3, nothing special. Full Milltek exhaust, Forge TIP & DV, FMIC, Cone intake, N249 delete etc, Am running a catch can, Deatschwerks Fuel pump. Currently pushing out 220whp and 270lbs and peaks at 1.5 bar.
As any car enthusiast I am looking for more power! A KO3s hybrid to be precise. I was considering to go BT but that would break the bank in one time. So, I decided to go for a hybrid and while the engine is pulled I will upgrade the block so it can run 300ish+whp as a daily, reliable and road trip (am planning a roadtrip next summer through Europe). I have been looking online for hybrid turbos and found a couple that wont break the bank.

BeachBuggyTurbos K300 - https://0afa09.7.ekm.shop/bbt-k300-175-p.asp

Turbo Rebuild KO3s 280+hp- https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/webs...00053-VW-Golf-18-20V-Turbo-K03052-K03053.html

Turbo Rebuild KO4 360+ - https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/webs...-BHP-Upgraded-Hybrid-Turbocharger-ETK360.html (could potentially slap on a CreationsMotorsport KO4 Turbo to KO3 downpipe flange/adapter to make it work)

These hybrid turbos are close to a grand in cost so considering that I might as well go BT... Because why bother hybrid if my block can hold 400+. Might as well go BT for a couple of extra money no??

Id love to hear your inputs! Any hybrid turbo recommendations, any BT recommendations etc...

Cheers guys
S.Pellegrino

What engine upgrades have you done if your thinking of big turbo?
Hybrid wise I’d ditch the ko3 and do a badger5 ko4 380 hybrid best one there is, but would still need engine upgrades to run that power if you’ve not done any yet your looking at abit bill just getting the engine capable of running that power

Like TJ mentioned Badger5 K04-380 would be the go to hybrid. That said.... you’ll need to do the same engine upgrades to be able to run that turbo to its potential compared to running a G25-550. Which has already proven to be similar torque onset to a K03s turbo but capable of around 500-550bhp with the right supporting mods.

I did the whole hybrid thing and personally.... just go BT. Which is exactly where I’m heading myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What engine upgrades have you done if your thinking of big turbo?
Hybrid wise I’d ditch the ko3 and do a badger5 ko4 380 hybrid best one there is, but would still need engine upgrades to run that power if you’ve not done any yet your looking at abit bill just getting the engine capable of running that power

Currently? NONE. I figured wether I go hybrid or BT I would still upgrade my block for peace of mind and not having to worry about bending the rods. There are guys out there running 450whp on the stock block with BT, IIRC its because with a BT you have a nice curve and not suddenly ''jump'' in boost like with our small turbos. Idk, I'm not sure.

Im thinking of doing the block, Rods, Piston heads, Piston Rings, Rod Bearings, Head studs, oil pump so that I'll have a healthy block capable of 500+whp (a speculation).

I may just say screw it and buy a fully built race spec Badger5 1.8T engine but idk about that, will see if the price difference. Oh lol.

Cheers
S.Pellegrino

I stuck with K03S and it quite comfortably keeps me up with bigger cars around the track and on the road. The NA Mini's, Clio's and Honda's were all quite surprised how well the full fat A3 outdone them on the straights.

Horses for courses really, just bear in mind big turbo swaps will quickly start to spiral fast with amount of additional supporting mods and modifications required. Hybrids are a good option but are expensive for the gains your chasing.

Reactions: Tj 0785
Going big turbo from a standard engine I'd say 10k minimum would be needed maybe more by the time you strengthen the gearbox aswell.

Reactions: Tj 0785