Subframe mounts

Mr DJ MOORE

Reaction score
I've got a crack I'm my front axle drivers side rear subframe mount, it's causing vibration at 70 - 90 and a knock at low speed when braking over a bump.
I've done the rest of the suspension myself, has anyone else tackled this themselves or will this be a job too far without a pit, I should be able to borrow an engine hoist to support it when removing the subframe.

They are a complete pain in the ar$e to replace, and you also need to make sure the subframe is aligned when it goes back in otherwise your tracking will be out and other than toe in & out there is no adjustment on the front end.

They are a complete pain in the ar$e to replace, and you also need to make sure the subframe is aligned when it goes back in otherwise your tracking will be out and other than toe in & out there is no adjustment on the front end.

I've found a company who do a polybush which should make the replacement of the actual bush easier, did you do it yourself B5? Any tips of maintianing the subframe alignment?

I did a B5 A4 a few years ago, and without the press tool it was almost impossible. For the C6 I gave to to a mate who works at an Audi dealership, he did the job in about 4 hours, but had all the alignment tools & presses to remove and fit the bushes at the dealership + the ramps, he made the job look easy. Would not like to tackle the job laying on the floor.

Reactions: Mr DJ MOORE
Thanks Mate, I think I will give it to a chap I know to do along with the polybushes to save on a few hours labour getting them back in.

I have the mounts done now, two had cracked which were causing my issues. The car feels much sharper to drive than before for steering / breaking and it has got rid of the vibration when driving / noise over bumps.

If anyone is interested I used Strongflex subframe mounts, they cost £103.50 delivered from Poland and are a two part polybush system. I also had the automatic transmission mounts replaced at the same time at a cost of £51.89 for viaco mounts from Autodoc.

Both items were delivered in 5 days from order to on my doorstep

I paid my local mechanic to the work at a cost of 4 hours labour just to give you all indications of costs.

I could have gone for Lemforder mounts at around £20 cheaper than the strongflex kit but I was thinking of the ease of install and I figured £20 quid could save money if the mechanic hit a problem getting them back in.

Reactions: Misikee and Roadrunner146
How did you discover that you had cracks in your subframe without removing the subframe first? I'm getting quite violent jerking and lifting when turning..usually over uneven ground, worse when on full lock.
The metal part of my front rear mounts has crumbled away and obv need changing but I'm not convinced that these are symptoms of broken mounts. Any ideas ‍♂️ Pls!

I could see the tear in the rubber part of the mount. I've got a pic somewhere..

I also had a knock when driving over a certain type of bump when braking. And it felt like it was under the accelerator.

You have to zoom in but you can see the rubber has a tear in and the bottom has a crack in. If you go on ebay and look at used subframes they mostly have broken bushes, you might be able to see the damage better on them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190201_072459_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190201_072459_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 294
Reactions: Misikee
Yeah I see....yours don't look too bad apart from the crack!
What do you reckon of mine...
IMG 6692

IMG 6709

IMG 6730

Before I changed by well worn upper control arms I only got the occasional clunk from what I now know was the subframe. Now I've replaced the control arms I'm getting clunks, it feels like the car is lifting upon the front end under the pedal area both sides. Worse on full lock but still very apparent on a mild turn. Used to be when going over uneven bumps etc but now on any turn..... far far worse than what the worn control arms ever did. Feels a bit like it's going to break in half!
Also it's like that crunching sound when your driving through snow and a bit like the sensation of the wheels juddering and skidding across the road...

Does that sound similar to what you got? I'm still trying to decipher if it'll be the bushes which I can swap for new ones or some crack which will mean a replacement subframe I guess...:blownose:.

Also look at your engine & gearbox mounts, mine were well past it at 180K miles.

Yep Will do thanks B5! I'm still trying to work out if I need a replacement subframe or just new mounts pressed in..
Do you mean check the engine + gearbox mounts as a precautionary measure or do you think they could be causing my problem? Maybe not as it's only when turning but I'll get up in there to see... just as soon as I can work out what is the best method to jack my car high enough. Reckon I'll need it higher than when I've just removed/installed the sump pan..haha and my car park is on an incline..it just gets better and better !!

Just new mounts, the subframe is fine.

I mean look at changing them, bet the gearbox mounts are shot and they are cheap and easy to replace

Reactions: NiceblokeniceNfat
Hey B5... looking at gearbox mounts online, how can you tell if they're shot because unlike regular bushes/mounts you can't really see the rubber on the gearbox mounts to see if it's worn or ripped.
There's a guy selling Febi ones on eBay for a tenner each so yeah the prices are reasonable.

How old is your car & how many miles @ 10 year & 180K miles on my A6 they were well past their best. I'm currently restoring an A3 for a family member and all of the rubber is shot, so is being replace.

Also the gearbox mounts are so cheap (unlike the engine mounts) kind of a no brainer, as it helps with all the slop that take place as the car gets older.

Ah....my tough old girl is 11 yrs now and done 174k miles...only about 10k have been done with me in 2 1/2 years though. She was a motorway car before for most of it.
Yeah your right...at £10 each for a Fabi mount I'll change em...it's a good price as most on eBay are around 25 each!
Alright well the weather is here so it's subframe mounts, gearbox mounts and a front wheel bearing! Thanks B.

My rear subframe bushes are on there way out how much you think I'd be looking at for them to be replaced. Me providing the bushes

Hope this is the right topic to share my mysterious vibrations. Patient is 2,4 BDW C6 Q
Driving 130-140 km/h occasional body vibration occurs - I feel it mostly on the seats. Occasional means it disappear in a moment to come back in another.

So far exchanged:
- gearbox (manual, fitted with new bearings)
- suspension front
- front sub-frame bushings
- driveshaft
- internal and externals joints (wheel and gearbox side)
- engine mounts
- dual mass flywheel and clutch (complete set)
- wheels and rims - checked on 3 other sets
- rear shock absorbers
- front wheels bearings
- gearbox and rear differential oils
- power steering oil

What I have noticed over this "journey" is when car stays on the lift with wheels hanging down for few hours then drive is smooth and perfect, like a new. After some kilometres more vibrations starts all over again.
Do U have any ideas? Otherwise I'm going to sell the sh*t :)

Last edited: