1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subframe mounts

Mr DJ MOORE Aug 20, 2018

1. Mr DJ MOORE

Mr DJ MOORE Member

I've got a crack I'm my front axle drivers side rear subframe mount, it's causing vibration at 70 - 90 and a knock at low speed when braking over a bump.
    I've done the rest of the suspension myself, has anyone else tackled this themselves or will this be a job too far without a pit, I should be able to borrow an engine hoist to support it when removing the subframe.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi A6 Audi A3 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S tronic S-line owners group

They are a complete pain in the ar$e to replace, and you also need to make sure the subframe is aligned when it goes back in otherwise your tracking will be out and other than toe in & out there is no adjustment on the front end.

4. Mr DJ MOORE

Mr DJ MOORE Member

I've found a company who do a polybush which should make the replacement of the actual bush easier, did you do it yourself B5? Any tips of maintianing the subframe alignment?

5. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi A6 Audi A3 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S tronic S-line owners group

I did a B5 A4 a few years ago, and without the press tool it was almost impossible. For the C6 I gave to to a mate who works at an Audi dealership, he did the job in about 4 hours, but had all the alignment tools & presses to remove and fit the bushes at the dealership + the ramps, he made the job look easy. Would not like to tackle the job laying on the floor.

Mr DJ MOORE likes this.
  6. Mr DJ MOORE

Mr DJ MOORE Member

Thanks Mate, I think I will give it to a chap I know to do along with the polybushes to save on a few hours labour getting them back in.

7. Mr DJ MOORE

Mr DJ MOORE Member

I have the mounts done now, two had cracked which were causing my issues. The car feels much sharper to drive than before for steering / breaking and it has got rid of the vibration when driving / noise over bumps.

If anyone is interested I used Strongflex subframe mounts, they cost £103.50 delivered from Poland and are a two part polybush system. I also had the automatic transmission mounts replaced at the same time at a cost of £51.89 for viaco mounts from Autodoc.

Both items were delivered in 5 days from order to on my doorstep

I paid my local mechanic to the work at a cost of 4 hours labour just to give you all indications of costs.

I could have gone for Lemforder mounts at around £20 cheaper than the strongflex kit but I was thinking of the ease of install and I figured £20 quid could save money if the mechanic hit a problem getting them back in.

Roadrunner146 likes this.