Stutter at idle (misfire) but no codes.

ChrisR160

Reaction score
I've got a 57 1.8tfsi and I have, what appears to be, a slight misfire at idle. The PCV has been replaced along with the rear crank seal, and oil pick-up pipe which seemed to improve the idle but the shudder has come back. Car does drive fine with only a slight hesitation from partial throttle through to 2/3rds thottle. I've used MAF cleaning but that hasn't made it worse or better. There was an old stored code for cylinder 3 misfire so swapped over cylinder 1 and 3 coils, erased fault and hasnt come back but there is still something amiss with the car. Any help would be appricated, thanks!

New plugs, coils, fuel filter then if this doesn’t solve it get your injectors cleaned and tested.

Make sure it’s all genuine items.

It could just be an air leak on tne intake path. Check for split vac tubes or splits in intake pipework or loose joints specifically after the maf or around the pcv

What happens if you pull the dipstick a couple of inches ?

A garage i took it too couldnt find any air leaks and its not a big enough mis to throw and engine warning light or a code. A live test showed some misfires on cylinder 2 and 3. The car doesn't seem to be using any oil or coolant so dont think its the head gasket. The coil on plugs aren't connected in pairs are they? The PCV has been replaced along with the pipe to the inlet. Also, unrelated but i get a slight whoosh noise when midly accelerating through the gears as i change and come off of the throttle. Cheers for the replies