Stupid start up problem is really getting on my nerves & possible boost leak issue!!

DJ_Troopa

Reaction score
Right, for the past 3 months my car has developed a funny start up problem. I turn the key, it turns over, just before it goes to idle it coughs and then idles. And NOW for the past few days, it does the same thing, after about 5 seconds of idle the revs jump up to 2k and straight away comes down calmly to idle revs again.

I just changed my MAF last night, my g/s have finally gone up but it should be more so i could have a b*****d boost leak! I've got the 3" TIP and Jetex and i'm only doing 212g/s and other people have higher figures and increases than me. For example, the highest i got on a silicone TIP and Jetex was 209g/s which is 261bhp. Now with the 3" TIP i'm doing 212g/s which is 265bhp.

Car is in for service today, got a new coolant temp sensor going on and my Forge short shift, i know the short shift won't cancel any of my problems out but hey that will cheer me up for now lol.

Thanks

Ajay

What map have you got Ajay? That's good g/s for a stage 1.

When I had starting issue similar to yours I hunted it for several months until one of my coil packs went pop. Instead of just changing one coil I did all four and the problem never returned. If I was you i'd get 4 brand new coil packs and see if that sorts it.

hmm mine had a similar thing, but when i changed the maf, it had fixed it. have you had it checked for any leaks? also have you checked the throttle body and its alignment?

that is a rather impressive airflow readout

Im sure Ajays coils have recently been changed as part of the recall???

Really? I thought my g/s should be higher than that compared to what other people are getting. The car came with a Superchips stage 1 map which was the only mod on the car.

Oh and guess what, my car went for service yesterday and my mechanic noticed NONE of them were changed!!!! He replaced 1 last year and it's still there and i also still have the old style coilpacks!! West London Audi are going to get it now!

Really? I thought my g/s should be higher than that compared to what other people are getting. The car came with a Superchips stage 1 map which was the only mod on the car.

Oh and guess what, my car went for service yesterday and my mechanic noticed NONE of them were changed!!!! He replaced 1 last year and it's still there and i also still have the old style coilpacks!! West London Audi are going to get it now!

My g/s reading is 225 on a Revo stage 2 so yours is good for a stage 1.

If your coils haven't all been changed kick up a fuss with Audi and get them all done. Hopefully that'll be your problem.

225!? That's really good! My map has never been tweaked as i don't have the receipt for it so i'd have to pay full money to have it done. I'm waiting for Revo stage 2 in a couple months so hopefully that will sort it out a bit! Gonna chase up Audi again now as i never got a call back yesterday!

Remember it's only certain part number coils that are up for the recall. Mine only had one effected and the one that was busted wasn't even in the recall...

But when they gave my keys back the engineer said my coilpacks were fine but they changed them anyway. So i'm thinking the engineer is doing private jobs on the side and kept the new coilpacks for his private jobs! They said the job sheet is in archive so they'll get it out and call me back this afternoon to see what the engineer wrote on it. I think its ******** and they're lying about it all, and now my car could be playing up because i have old bad coilpacks which they were supposed to change!

Jay does the car start funny when it's cold (1st start of the day) or when it's hot aswell??

Yup! It happens in the hot or cold when the car has been sitting there for a few hours. Any ideas?

get it smoke tested - its amazing what appears!

Bill i don't know anyone around here who can do that, do you do it?

i dont see how coilpacks could make it jump upto 2k if its just coilpacks at fault, doesnt make sense.

Bill, do they recommend removing the maf when smoke testing? as after having mine done, my maf immediately failed, not sure if it was related or a complete coincidence

i dont see how coilpacks could make it jump upto 2k if its just coilpacks at fault, doesnt make sense.

Bill, do they recommend removing the maf when smoke testing? as after having mine done, my maf immediately failed, not sure if it was related or a complete coincidence

I had the exact same starting issues and didn't think it could possibly be the coil packs so I went round the houses replacing loads of other bits only to find that when one of my coils went pop that replacing all 4 made the issue go and never come back.

Well West London Audi still haven't called me back AGAIN so i think i'll take this further. There's obviously something dodgy going on! I'll keep this updated. Thanks for the replies people.

I remove MAF, but not for any reason... Depends on the smoke tester used.. Some cheap *** units use baby oil which leaves residue.. So perhaps this is a cause. Mine is fully approved for use on everything, including EVAP systems.