Stupid question... What are these bolts?!?

Nufab

Reaction score
Hey guys...

This is a stupid question...

So over the past couple of weeks, I've been replacing the balance shaft in my 2.0TDi A4 (B7) which had the hex drive fail.

I took the car apart two weeks ago... Removed the bumper, put it in the service position, lifted the engine, dropped the subframe, dropped the air con compressor, removed the sump and removed the balance shaft assembly. I put all the bolts for the front in one tin, all the ones from the bottom of the engine in another, and all the ones from around the oil pump in another.

Now, I've got it back together today, minus the front bumper, and the engine seems to run ok, so that's a winner. However, I have two bolts left that I can't place... I just can't think where they're from!

They look like the ones that hold the air con compressor on... But they can't be cos I've bolted that back up. They are about 3" long, with thread only on the last inch. The head is 13mm. They definitely are not from inside the engine, as they weren't covered in oil. Plus, all that went back together properly.

Are these used anywhere around the front end... In the lock carrier or front bumper? They look too important to leave out!

Cheers,

Chris

I know you've described them- but a picture might go along way, mate...

It's ok, I realised what they are... They are the bolts that pass through the rear of the sump and into the block, at the flywheel end.

The car is back together now and luckily, the engine and turbo are both fine. Goes to show you should stop immediately if the oil pressure light comes on!

I got the balance shaft repaired by KMB Parts Direct, who were brilliant both in terms of service and providing advice.