Stupid car starting issues

F51

Reaction score
As per the title my god damn stupid car has starting issues, a have a 1999 Audi a3 1.8T Quattro. The last few months Iv had many issues of the car just not starting but if I leave it half hour or so it suddenly starts. It showed no codes but every so often the car would not start, sometimes if you took the battery terminal off for 5 mins it was ok and sometimes not. Just lately it's started cutting out if you leave it running for 5-10 mins at idle but it drives fine
And also if it cuts out like that it won't restart at all. Also now it has started cutting out if I have got stuck in traffic. If it does this it shows up with crank sensor, tow O2 sensors and two throttle position sensor codes
I have replaced the batteries in both keys had both keys checked and the AA guy did g have a clue what it could be

Any ideas as Im currently sat on a busy roundabout in rush hour traffic and short of setting fire to it and claiming off the insurance Im running out of ideas

If you clear the codes it doesn't always come up though sometime it stops but registers no codes at all

Did you get her running? Or did you roast it... :audibash:

It run after an hour of sitting there I offically hate Audi/vw my passat before this was awfully unreliable too

Awww mate don't say that... They are awesome cars, I think you've just been unlucky bud...
I'm sure someone will be along soon on here to assist you with advise...

If anyone wants it I will swap for an mx5

I don't understand why you have replaced the batteries in the key when it shows up with crank sensor, two O2 sensors and two throttle position sensor codes .
What do you expect from a 15 year old car ??. You could be driving in around much newer cars and be having bigger problems.
Crank sensor problems would cause these issues as could a Lambda issue. I would try changing the crank sensor.

Karl.

Well because I was told that the crank sensor code might not necessarily mean it was the crank sensor as it may be that the immobiliser just simply wasn't working correctly and wasn't allowing the crank sensor ect to work to imobilise the car. Batteries are a few quid and minute to change, they checked the key there and then that eliminates two potential causes cheaply.
Better than changing the sensor and finding out all I needed to do was change the key battery.
As I also stated it didn't always throw up the crank sensor code, so my thinking was if it was the crank sensor and you cleared it surely it would return all the time but it didn't

You can buy my S3 off me...
haha I think I'm going back to having toyotas or mazda's. I need some reliability! I will repair this, sell it and probably go to an mx5, altezza rs200 or a celica gt4, all cars Iv had before abused the crap out of and never had an issue with. Even the supra used to do southampton to Munster each weekend and get thrashed on tracks regularly and never had any issues, just can't afford one any more lol.