Stuck radio 8L S3

Speedy Steve

Reaction score
I have an 8L s3 with a double din radio and its stuck the keys don seam to touch anything when putting them in. Now the radio has stopped working altogether fuses around the car look fine so i take it that there is one on the back of the head unit but i cant get it out. Im starting to feel like just ripping the face off the head unit and get it out that way then fit a normal double din unit and make up the sides. Is there an easy way of getting the old unit out with out the destruction?

Not really because you've probably been trying to pull it out by pulling on the release keys. You need to insert the release keys and then push the HU from behind by removing the glovebox. No idea why they sell the keys with lugs on them for pulling as this will knacker the spring clips if they aren't perfectly locked in place.
The clips will now be jammed. You'll just have to use brute force by pushing from behind

Managed to get it out and the fuse had blown i still have the problem that the radio will only power up if you switch it on not through the ignition

That means it's not getting an "ignition on" 12v when the ignition is on. Have you checked the Radio (S-Kont) fuse in the fuse box? IIRC it's fuse 30, as there are 2 fuses for the radio (perm live and ignition). Failing that check the yellow cable with red stripe on the black power ISO connector at the HU. This should be providing 12v with the ignition on and 0v when you take the keys out.

Ah never knew there was 2 fuses for the radio that may well be it Andy thanks will be checking that later this week when i next get a chance

Andy you are a star its fuse 37 (S contact) had blown took out one of my other fuses as had no spares and it worked properly

Nice one, my faith is restored and sometimes it really is just the fuse and nothing more sinister!

Thanks again have just ordered some adaptor rings off you through the mighty Bay