Stuck in Germany Facing hefty bill. Cat converters???

dirtydamdog

Reaction score
Ive just drove from England to Germany in my 2003 A4 3.0 v6 with a supercharger fitted. Sadly ive only owned the car a week so dont know much about them. Everything has been working fine until the last 20 miles of my 600 mile trip the engine mangement light came on and the car started to judder a little. Ive just taken the car to the local Audi dealer they stuck it on their com and say its the front cat converters and will cost around 2400 euro( I NEARLY THREW UP ) The mech in the car said to me maybe I should try his mate who tunes audi's bmw's and that for a living he would have a better idea becuase of the supercharger you have fitted and that may be causing the problem. So after finding this bloke He says the front cat converters melt and cause the engine manegement problems, He thinks that it needs them taking out and a stright pipe fitted and then a remap. He told me not to get new 1's fitted because they will just do the same again because of the supercharger.
Ive tried looking for some info but not alot of luck. Should I trust the main Audi dealer? or go with the stright pipe idea i dont really know. Or maybe I should just risk it drive back to England and get my local dealer to look at it. Any ideas guys?:wacko:

id find out if its ok to drive home that way witch id think it is but just to be safe and all ask any way and sort it back here. if you can drive it home then id say go for the stright pipe as that will not cost as much id have thought and also buy you some time ie before your mot to get it sorted

Damn right, DECAT the damn thing NOW.

2400 euroso LOL, they must be kidding, you could buy a miltek full system for half that!

do you not need a cat for MOT`s then ?

Not if you know a friendly MOT centre ;-)

Where theres a will, theres a way.

decat in germany or even just rip the guts out of the cats and drive it back. You can sort it at your leasure up until your mot is due

Remove dem Cats...... I was quoted R 54 000 to replace..... De-Catted and never looked back. :yes:

A Lot of the guys this side De-Cat.....

Slight Improvement in Performance, decrease in Fuel Usage and a Sweeeter Sound eminates from the pipes.... IMO.

I had a similar prob...de-catted but didn't resolve issue....after 8 months of Blood, Sweat and Tears they found the fault to be an Actuator Valve in the Intake Manifold.
These Motors are prone to this problem...
Merely a clean-up job but hefty on the Labour Side 7 Hrs to do and I would advise using the Agent to Do this.... Dunno if your Super-Charger would alter this fault.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Just got back from the Garage and they are removing the cats and putting stright through pipes on then they are gonna remap the engine so it will bypass the cat converters. There was no way on this earth I would have paid the 2400 euro at the Audi garage just for it to go wrong again. The Performance tuning place has quoted me 250 euro with the remap which I think is ok. I'll worry about the MOT in Sept. Cheers for the input guys.