Stubborn Brake Dust... and tar spots

Juniper44

Reaction score
Hi All

Am struggling to remove some bonded brake dust from the alloys on my S£. I have tried blackfire but to no avail. Could anyone suggest something a bit stronger to use. I am thinking I should be using a sealant as well to stop it getting so bonded.

I wash the car once a month but over the last few months there are more brake dust spots that are not coming off?!

Also I have some tar spots on the alloys and the paint work am not sure about claying as have never done this before - is there something else that can be used to remove the tar?

Thanks

For tar spots I use Autosmart Tardis, it just melts the tar spots. A small soft brush will help remove any spots. As to Brake dust/dirt on alloys, I use Meguiars Wheel Brightener, once clean get some wax on the alloys to protect them.

Last edited:
I know some people will sneer at this, but i tried some carplan "professional" wheel cleaner, the results were amazing. I used it on some wheels that had about 18 months of baked on dust and they came up virtually like new, the wheels are about 8 years old. It took 2 applications but im informed its one of the stronger formulas. I would highly recommend it. Its miles better than anything else ive used.
Autoglym tar spot remover is very good, like tardis, apply and leave a couple of minutes and the tar melts before your eyes.

Have always had good results with Autoglym Tar remover and for brake dust Bilberry wheel cleaner. Followed by Werkstat Prime and a couple of layers of Poorboys wheel sealant. Once this is done a quick clean every couple of weeks and build up layers of wheel sealant and nothing will stick to it.

Gloss It Signature Wheel Gel has a lot more oomph to it than the equivalent Blackfire pH neutral wheel gel, and is worth switching to next time you need to stock up. In the meantime, you may need an acid-based cleaner such as Meguiars Wheel Brightener or the like to return them to A1 condition. Also, as suggested above, Autosmart Tardis is ace for tar spot removal from wheels, bodywork, shuts, etc. :icon_thumright:

Has anyone tried Autosmart Treble-X wheel acid? I have been using it on Mercedes/Porsche for the past 10 years unbelievelebly strong and removes brakedust from the inside of wheels that have done 50-60k and have to be good enough to go in the showroom, have to be carefull how to apply it as it can kill the lacquer on the wheels! I work at Harbourcars.com and they are very fussy so they have to be right.

Sounds like a trade strength acid; might not be wise for most enthusiasts where frequent, milder care without risk is required. Certainly essential in your line of work though! :icon_thumright:

Autosmart also do other wheel acids that are not as strong as treble-x but are still good ali and ali shine or smart wheels which is a non-acid cleaner that breaks down the brake dust and a bit more friendly.