Struggling for grip

Sayam

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Morning peeps

Mines a sportback diesel, 170bhp with DSG box

I got falken tyres and they have about 5-6mm left on them

Lately as the roads have got cold/greasy I find the car struggling for grip and giving the traction control a tough time. Probably too regularly for my liking

I also seem to manage to made the back slide out on roundabouts like a rear wheel drive car would but it's not RWD

I've had all suspension checked and a four wheel alignment done too

I'm running 37 psi in front and 34 in rear. Audi reckons I should run 42/36 !!

Can all this be really just down to my tyres? Dunno if it matters but I'm on standard shocks and eibach pro kit springs

Any ideas?

The laws of physics do not change if you are in a AWD car

Reactions: hollows wife, Sayam, sliced and 1 other person
More suitable tyres for the conditions would sort the issue. Normal "summer" tyres don't cope as well with cooler temperatures.
The Falkens are OK tyres but not as good as slightly more expensive offerings from Goodyear, Continental etc.
But even these will be slipping and sliding more. Are your tyres the FK452 ? .
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/FK452.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/falken-fk452-longterm-test.htm

"Grip levels have started to drop off in the last 1000 miles, something other people have noticed at around half life of the tyre but it's progressive dry characteristics remain."

I have just swapped from the summer tyres to some winter ones. They have a different tread compound and will work better at lower temperatures. I have invested in some new tyres after reading reviews and test results.
I am definately getting more traction and steering response from these compared to the Goodyear F1 Eagles I had on.Mine has over 300bhp and 700Nm of torque so the tyres get asked to do a bit when I hoof it, The traction control still kicks in but not as much and the car isn't sliding around as much.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nokian/WR-A3.htm

Don't know what tyre size your car is but Tyreleader is a great place to get some.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/wra3/225-45-r17-94h-400221

karl.

Standard shocks aren't ideal as they will be too weak against the stronger Eibach springs even if they were new.

Last edited:
I've had the this happen in the last week or so and I'm on F1 A2's ... Normally on pulling away and tc kicks in.

Manufacturers do extensive testing on different tyres for different countries. They try to find the best for the country's roads and also the weather. I've never used Falken tyres but, from what I read they are a budget tyre.

I'd switch to a tyre that was originally on your vehicle when new. I suspect it will either be Dunlop, Goodyear, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Continental or Michelin. Our S3 came with Continental's so that is always what's gone back on. Decent tyre but, they ain't cheap.

Winter tyres will help but, again you need a decent make which gets good reviews. Some independent tyre places really know their stuff so you might want to ask them what they'd recommend.

In some places the amount of mud and leaves on the road means that no tyre is going to help you so you should be adjusting your driving speed and braking accordingly.

As quite a few pople have already said,(and indeed Scotty was also so fond of saying),"ye cannae change the laws of physics"....

You can get as much grip as possible by using appropriate tyres for the conditions,and driving smoothly,and I have to admit I've never used winter tyres,although it would be interesting to see how much better they are in true winter conditions.

I've used Michelin PS2 & PS3's,and both last winter and this used Michelin PSS's,whihc may not seem an ideal choice,but did very well overall.

I do mostly leave the TC off,but others may be happier with it on.....it does tend to kick in pretty early.

Fwd ? I had michellinpilot on my a3 and 19" wheels, still wheel spun first second and third in wet was useless off line un dry first was good as launch control was coded and second it wheel souna nd third it pulled like a beast but unless its quattro and have good tyres your out of luck lol

Also falken are awful unless your in dry, get something good not high end budget

Thank you everyone for your replies

The Falkens won't last forever so I will get better tyres the next time round and see how I get on

Yes, it's front wheel drive as DSG isn't 4WD in the diesels

A friend/colleague has a RS4 avant and he swears by vredstein sessanta tyres

Any opinions on those?

Looking at prices they seem less expensive than Mich PSS or G eagle F1 A2s

If it helps I'm on 225/40/18 92Y Extra load

I've reduced pressures to 36/34 front/rear respectively. Do you reckon that wil help? Or is too little? Audi says 42/36 but that seems ridiculously high and will make it under steer more not less

Tyres are a bit like footwear, there isn't one type that can do everything.
Most of the time you would be Ok wearing trainers and they would do the job. If it's particularly muddy, wet or snowing then wellies would probably be better, on the beach flip flops maybe.
You could wear trainers if it was muddy, snowing etc but not the best, also not the best on the beach.
There is a reason why a lot of countries in Europe mandate the use of winter tyres because they work so much better than normal high performance summer tyres.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html

If you have never tried a decent winter tyre then you won't appreciate how good they are. If you buy winter tyres don't go for the cheap Chinese ditchfinder makes, some of these are very poor.

Karl.

Reactions: S3Alex
Tyres are a bit like footwear, there isn't one type that can do everything.
Most of the time you would be Ok wearing trainers and they would do the job. If it's particularly muddy, wet or snowing then wellies would probably be better, on the beach flip flops maybe.
You could wear trainers if it was muddy, snowing etc but not the best, also not the best on the beach.
There is a reason why a lot of countries in Europe mandate the use of winter tyres because they work so much better than normal high performance summer tyres.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html

If you have never tried a decent winter tyre then you won't appreciate how good they are. If you buy winter tyres don't go for the cheap Chinese ditchfinder makes, some of these are very poor.

Karl.

Nicely put.

Even when you take a particular class of tyres,for instance high performance summer tyres,you find that what one person likes,another may hate,on it's balance of strengths and weaknesses.

Its not often that we all agree on one being awful or superb.

Your point about ditchfinders,and that applies to both summer and winter varieties,is very valid.....they're a false economy,and may lead to an otherwise avoidable accident.
Someone put it well by saying that these are the things that connect you to the road,don't choose cheap ones.