1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strong exhaust smell

voolooz Aug 9, 2018

1. voolooz

voolooz New Member

After some spirited driving I get a strong exhaust smell, is this normal?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Well-Known Member Team Racing Blue Mica Sportback Audi RS3 quattro

These engines can always get a bit smelly when driven hard, normal I’d say

4. T-800

T-800 Well-Known Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Sportback Audi RS3 quattro S tronic MQB Platform

Seriously ?!?

I wonder what causes that

zaka7 likes this.
  5. voolooz

voolooz New Member

Cheers mate, only just purchased the car so I'm on edge with anything that I'm not used to.

6. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Well-Known Member Team Racing Blue Mica Sportback Audi RS3 quattro

No worries.

The PFL used to smell really strong for the first thousand miles, somebody said it was all the plastics in the engine bay.. loved the smell, but smelt wrong haha.

Can always tell when mine has been driven a little harder by smell, nothing to worry about just get out there and enjoy it! Make sure you leave it idle for a couple of minutes if you go from giving it a kicking to a stop in an instant, turbo needs time to cool. Mine is left idling for 20 seconds or so after every drive.

7. Slowracer

Slowracer Active Member

If a little bit of oil has been spilt on the engine during a top up, it will smell when hot and will take a while to burn off.

8. monopole

monopole Guest

Do you mean brand new, or used car which your the new owner... I only noticed this smell within the first few hundred miles with a brand new car, but can't say I have noticed it for a while, 3k miles in.

9. voolooz

voolooz New Member

Used car PFL with 32k