Strong Exaust smell poss cracked manni

s3dave

TFSI Hybrid
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
Hi guys getting a really strong exhaust smell coming through the vents, opened the bonnet and cant hear the usual raspy noise from the manni/downpipe, when they are cracked/leaking......
exhaust was glowing...:ohmy: do you think ive cracked the manifold?
going to have a good look tomoz but my initial thoughts are, the 3" tip with more air flow has told the manni "to doo one" and could have more than likely been on its way out anyway.....

The smell is horrible and not the usual exhausty fumes that come out of the tail pipes, its like that but twice as strong and makes you feel sick very quickly, does that silver heat jacket stuff smell? as ive noticed some is touching the manni
the smell is very strong under the bonnet by the charge pipe inlet, so it looks like i may have cracked the manni.....
just a thought , but there wont be any other thing that can cause the fumes like the egr around there?
i Just find it strange that i cannot hear the tell-tale raspyness?:think:

Last edited:
Could be the turbo to exhaust manifold gasket Dave or possibly a slight leak from the rocker cover which is burning off on the mani

cheers for that oil leaking on manni, could be a very good shout, would explain why there is no change in exhaust note....
Hows the motor are you up and running 100% now?

Touch wood it's running ok at the moment, still not taking it over 10-14psi just to be on the safe side though lol

Still scratching my head everyday as to what route to take.............my problem is i don't like half jobs, all or nothing:) (and nothing is boring)

The coilpacks smell quite eggy when they are beginning the fail. Give the 3 turbo - mani bolts a quick nip with a E14 socket as its quite common for them to come lose.

The rocker cover gasket tend to leak from the side of the engine below the VVT through the half moon rubber part.