Stripped Torx Panel Screw - Any Ideas?

cobraBLACK

Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!
Reaction score
I was attempting to replace my fog bulbs with some that match my xenons. All was going well until the centre of the last screw, which was rusted in place, disintegrated as I turned the driver.

The screw looked like that in the photo below. According to VAG Cat it's a 8H0807199A.

Can anyone give me a tip to release it? I sprayed it with WD-40 but I couldn't get enough friction to get it moving.

1002652ya2

I did try using one but it seemed too large so I didn't try whacking it. I might give that a go.

Thanks.

The MTEC bulb was a pretty good colour match - just a shame I only got one on.

If all else fails, drill it out!

Maybe try using a dremel to cut a slit in the screwhead - then use a flat head screwdriver?

Maybe try using a dremel to cut a slit in the screwhead - then use a flat head screwdriver?

Hey, that would be a good idea if I had one!

I'm going to get some replacement screws from Audi this afternoon and have another go at it tomorrow.

I heard a funny noise on the way to football last night. I thought it was a branch or something dragging on the floor but turns out one of the fog covers had come off (on the clip side) and was dragging on the floor. Nice.

try cutting a slot into it using a hacksaw blade so you can use a flay head screwdriver on it. I did this on my MAF sensor screws

You could try a centre punch as a drift and tap it loose. if the others are out then can you twist the lamp body sligthly to break the 'bond' on this, last, one.

use plus gas as against wd40

When you come to undo it, It might help if the other screws are all tight (otherwise this, last, one takes all the friction!)

you can get screw remover / extractors for a few quid on t'bay, etc

And

It didn't really work out. I ended up hitting an old flat-head screwdriver into it with a hammer and the bracket snapped.

Never mind. I'll get the screw out the bracket and bond it back on I suppose - the fog is pretty firm in position with just one bracket.

bray an allen key into it make sure its a tight fit you will only get one go to undo it

irwin nut extractor, i used . tapped it on to get extractor stuck into it, off in seconds.handy bit of kit been very useful.Irwin Bolt/Nut Extractor Remover Set 8,10,13,19mm 11/16 | eBay

Those wouldn't have worked in this case since there isn't really any body to the head of the screw (see photo at top) but they would definitely come in handy at some point.

I bonded the bracket back on and replaced all four rusty screws. I also got a fitting kit for the covers - it turns out the pins that hold them in place were half the length they were originally so they're a lot more secure now.