Strangle idle and drive 2.0tdi 140 BKD

tdisportuk

Reaction score
Hi there,

car is a 2006 a3 2.0tdi 140bhp BKD

Vagcom was showing the MAF sensor needed changing so had this changed yesterday, after the MAF sensor was changed the revs went all wierd not so long after the change, also cant really remember if the car was like that before the MAF sensor change but it did cut out once for some odd reason!

Ive recorded a video to show whats going on! - I dont notice the problem after 2700k revs its mainly between idle and around 2500k during drive as the revs drop back and forth the drive becomes very bumpy as if its a hard gear/clutch change.

Must also add that the exhaust seems to be loudeer as well!

car is on 37k miles

many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember tdi-man had this same problem. I sold him a fuel pump back in December which fixed it so you might give him a PM and talk.

Hi there,

thanks for the reply!

hmm fuel pump at 37k miles?! damn.. will PM him in the mean time any more clues? vagcom shows nill deffo not electronic..

Thanks

It`s some time go now so cannot remember to much about it really other then he had a erratic problem with the ideal on his car but no fault codes.

thats a ******! tried contacting tdi-man but with no responce as yet he hasnt been on here recently. I think you may be right, as when i put a bottle of diesel injector cleaner it didnt happen as much.. (or maybe thats all in my head!)

Is changing the pump a big job? Could the exhaust have anything to do with it? -

Many thanks

If he means the pump under the rear bench then not too bad, but these are £150, I may have 1 for sale perfectly works, need to know what your version is now before offering, just ring audi & ask them what the fuel pump part no. is under rear bench of your car, then post back, optionally lift rear lower bench & take cover of & see if can see no. on top.

ah Nigel! hope all is good buddy. do you think this would sort it?

Will give tps a bell tomorrow and ask them the part number for the pump :)

many thanks

I wouldnt like to say as it would be purely speculative at this moment in time, but it could very well be a fuelling issue mate, its faltering for sure, which on idle could very well point to fuel/air etc from that vid, maf, fuel pumps, injectors, would be things to check, thing is swapping the pump etc you can do yourself so at end of day its either in garage paying hourly plus parts or you do it with a part, your times free as such, garage isnt huh.

IIRC Mike had some injectors, but rear bench pump is hell of alot easier than that, maf you've done & still present.

So are there any logs currently to report after maf change?

Has it had a fuel filter change yet aswell as this may also be a possible.

Hi

hmm very true, the engine management light was on for the MAF sensor now that its been changed and error code cleared drove around for a day with the problem no lights or codes were present.

The problem wasnt present with the old maf - im 110% sure surely i would of noticed it! *confused*

Will get the p/n tomorrow. No i dont think its had a filter change recently, its got a k&n air filter.

many thanks

Have you removed the K&N & just had it open to air, I know its remote but hey anythings possible.

Just had a look back on my records and it was the tandem pump tdi-man bought from me. If you have only noticed the problem since fitting the new MAF i would remove the MAF and check it is clean then refit it it plus put some Silicon Dielectric Grease on the MAF terminals. There is a big write up about doing this and making cars run smoother here. http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101577&highlight=grease

I would also remove the K+N filter as those thing give very little actual filtration of the incoming air. The first thing the particles tend to hit is the MAF and damage that. A very good scientific test has proved how bad K+N filters are in the following link. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=282433

Wow the results on that website seem quite impressive. For 6quid i think i'll order some

If the fuel pump as already suggested doesn't cure it, perhaps look at your EGR valve.

The EGR valves operation has something to do with the MAF sensor and sometimes faults with the EGR can log as MAF faults.

EGR's can cause all sorts of problems, crappy idle, smoke, lack of power etc.

The EGR also clog up the inlet pipes with soot plus cause lots of other problems. Rip the dam thing off altogether and fit a delete pipe will save a lot of problems.

hi
soz not been on for sum time. mine didn't tick over as bad as that and changing the tandem pump fixed my probelm and i understand that audi have changed the part number 4 times on the pump.

just lately i changed the radiator and now car ticks over lumpy until warm but the rev neddle does not move up and down stays solid at 850

i had also changed egr injectors injector loom temp sensor clutch flywheel and still tick over lumpy until i changed the pump...