Strange tyre wear? Thin black line around edges of tyres - is this normal?

kiz17

Reaction score
Hi everyone

As title says, I’ve noticed a thin black line around the edge of 3 of my tyres - is this normal? It’s got me thinking maybe I need an alignment done.

I’ve also noticed that the rear driver side sits around 2cm lower than the rear passenger side - could this difference in height be a camber alignment issue? I’m hoping all of this is just an easy case of getting an alignment done!

Thank you and any help is much appreciated :D

24yd0kn.jpg

2n9jrjt.jpg

25i23v7.jpg

2nvx8n.jpg

I don't think that the black line is anything to worry about as it's just the edge where the tyre is in contact with the road surface, which makes that area more likely to stay cleaner compared to the sidewall.

Your tyres, on the other hand, need to be replaced due to age/lack of use - the cracking between tread blocks indicates that the rubber compound is losing it's flexibility and will not offer the same levels of grip level as before. I read somewhere that this would be a potential MOT failure too.

I agree with lesh, the band round the tyre is probably just highlighted because of tar build up from the roads in this hot weather however those tires are shot as they are cracking, i suspect the inside edges will be even worse. They need changing sooner rather than later.

If the one side is 20mm lower at the rear I would check the coil spring on that side. It may have broken. The top or bottom coil of the spring will break off and quite often drop onto the road.

Wow thank you for all the help everyone! :D I’m a new user but the community on this forum seems amazing!

I’ve only had the car for a month now but the previous owner had it sat for 3-4 months, which I guess explains the cracked tyres. Thanks for the advice I’ll get these changed ASAP!

desertstorm - thank you for the advice. Upon looking through the old service history I noticed that the passenger side rear coil spring was changed; there is no sign of the drivers side being changed though? Are coil springs something that you must change in pairs? If so, could this cause a difference in height this great, or with it being such a big difference will it likely be a broken spring?

Thank you again everyone :)

Yes you change them in axle pairs at the least. Me, I'd buy a lowering kit and get them all done

Posted using a S8+ with Magic

Anything you do to suspension or steering should always be done in pairs, besides, if one side has gon its a good chance the other won’t be far behind.

Thank you for the replies!

I thought it was odd only one spring got changed. I’m going to get it booked in for new tyres all round and an alignment check.

I‘m prepared for it to be out of alignment because one side is around 20mm lower, then I can ask if they can inspect the springs too.

I definitely have a decent tyre bill to look forward to anyway... :persevere:

Thank you for the replies!

I thought it was odd only one spring got changed. I’m going to get it booked in for new tyres all round and an alignment check.

I‘m prepared for it to be out of alignment because one side is around 20mm lower, then I can ask if they can inspect the springs too.

I definitely have a decent tyre bill to look forward to anyway... :persevere:
Look around the net as you can find good tytes at reasonable prices . I think there is a tyre sticky on forum too just to give you ides's on what people run .

Look around the net as you can find good tytes at reasonable prices . I think there is a tyre sticky on forum too just to give you ides's on what people run .

Ok thank you - I’ll have a look for that forum now :)

Get the springs sorted first then have the alignment done

Good shout - once the new spring(s) fitted I’d have to get the alignment done again which I don’t want!

New tyres, spring(s) then get the alignment done. I’ll feedback the results once done :)

Good shout - once the new spring(s) fitted I’d have to get the alignment done again which I don’t want!

New tyres, spring(s) then get the alignment done. I’ll feedback the results once done :)

I'd do springs, alignment then tyres - maybe the same place can do all three at the same time :)

If the car is 10 or more years old, I would be renewing all 4 springs and and tyres-maybe the shocks as well. Spread the cost by doing either the fronts or the rears now (whichever is worse) and the other half next year.

I think I’ll do the springs myself to save a bit of money as it isn’t a tricky job. The money I save can go towards the alignment and tyres.

It’s a 57 plate so almost bang on 10 years old - I‘ll be doing the rear springs so I could look to do the front next year! The shocks seem fine so I’ll try hold onto them for a bit longer :)