1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange suspension problem

MikeCrum1996 Jan 28, 2018

1. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

I have yet another problem with my car...
    It only started happening yesterday..
    So basically I’m driving as normal soon as I get up to 25-30mph the whole car violently shakes or wobbles.. I’ve looked at all suspension nothing looks out of place or seems loose..

It can’t be the tyres as I had them done over 2months ago and the problem has only just come around, I took it to a garage to inspect and they said both wishbones have play.. but I don’t know if that’s causing the wobble.. the rubber in the wishbone has split.

Any suggestions? Is that the actual cause or the wishbones could of been like that for a while?

Things I’ve replaced in last 2-3months
    Track rod end
    Passenger wishbone
    Put coil overs on the car

2. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

Also forgot to add that it makes a humming/ growling noise when it’s wobbling..

3. hydro s3

hydro s3 S3 amk Team Ming Blue Audi S3

I had a similar problem in a car I used to have. It turned out to be a seized caliper.

4. NickVC

NickVC Member

big driveshaft to rear differential, central cv joint broken

5. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

How would I know if it’s seized? How can I test ?

6. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

How can I check that? I noticed one of the driveshafts boots is missing a clip but all seems pretty solid no excessive movement

7. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

Could it be dualmass flywheel? The shaking gets worse at higher speed/higher revs

8. Siondc

Siondc Learner!! Ming Blue S3 AMK

Are all the hub nuts torqued properly? Does the abs or esp engage?

9. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

There’s no play in the wheel what so ever and no lights come on dash at all scanned with Vcds

10. Siondc

Sounds like a CV joint.

11. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

So a cv joint would make the car shake/wobble really badly the higher the speed the more the wobble

12. Siondc

If damaged yes. They attach the driveshaft to the gearbox and rear differential (Quattro). They rotate with speed of the car so the faster you go the more wobble or shaking you get. I would check the wheel balance first though as a weight could have come off and cause wheel wobble.

If you have a jack and axel stands I would get the car up and spin the wheels to check for a seized calliper, then check over the rubber boots of the CV joints to see if there’s any splits.

13. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

It’s not the wheel weights as I’ve moved rear wheels to the front and it makes no difference.. I noticed the boot on the driveshaft had a clip missing with a tiny bit of grease that leaked out,. How could I tell if it was broken? If you put your foot down the wobble is unreal literally moving around in my chair on a flat road

14. Siondc

sounds like you’ve found your culprit. To be sure you would have to take it off and take the rubber boot off and check the condition inside.

15. Siondc

Let us know if you get to the bottom of this.

16. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

is it only under power? or even when rolling. a long shot but a misfire shakes the car.

Siondc likes this.
  17. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

It happens even when rolling

18. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

I don’t think it’s the cv joint there’s a tiny bit of clicking when yanking on the driveshaft but nothing serious.. just doesn’t seem to be my problem.. that tiny bit of movement just seems like nothing to cause such a violent shake

19. Siondc

And it’s coming from the front of the car?

20. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

Yes it shakes the entire car.. I can see people looking at my car because it’s that bad.. just doesn’t make sense all suspension seems fine as far as I can tell

21. Siondc

You said you’ve got coil overs is there any marks on the wheel arch? Could be the wheel catching on the arch. How low have you gone?

22. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

Definitely not catching because I’ve had them on for months with no problems also it’s not really low I’ve just lowered it slightly so nothing is catching everything is tight.. I’ve checked about 1000 times now, I know for a fact it’s coming from the front of the car

I’ve had a mate of mine check over all the engine mounts he said the one on the gearbox might need changing soon along with arb bushings but he said it wouldn’t make it shake like that.. he was shocked when he drove it because he thought I was being ott.. but now knows it’s really bad.. he thinks it could be dual mass flywheel but can’t say for sure so I don’t wanna get a new clutch kit if not needed

23. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

Definitely not catching because I’ve had them on for months with no problems also it’s not really low I’ve just lowered it slightly so nothing is catching everything is tight.. I’ve checked about 1000 times now, I know for a fact it’s coming from the front of the car

I’ve had a mate of mine check over all the engine mounts he said the one on the gearbox might need changing soon along with arb bushings but he said it wouldn’t make it shake like that.. he was shocked when he drove it because he thought I was being ott.. but now knows it’s really bad.. he thinks it could be dual mass flywheel but can’t say for sure so I don’t wanna get a new clutch kit if not needed

24. Siondc

Have you jacked the car up and spun the wheels to check for a seized caliper?

25. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

Yep calipers are fine the rear pads need doing but other than that brakes are fine.. definitely not seized as the wheel spins freely.. any more suggestions? I could climb under and take a few pics if that helps?

26. Siondc

If nothing stands out when inspecting it you need to get it to a garage and have a mechanic look at it. Could be any number of things, and can only speculate without actually seeing it. Sorry it’s not much help but that’s cars for you.

27. hydro s3

hydro s3 S3 amk Team Ming Blue Audi S3

Could it be your engine vibrating?
    Not cause of the engine mounts but the actual engine itself.

28. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi S3

Does it still do it when you depress the clutch?

29. Siondc

Wouldn’t the vibrating get worse with engine speed and not road speed then?

30. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

It’s not vibrating it’s shaking you feel it more on the passenger side more

31. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

Yep makes no difference

32. Siondc

Shaking is just bad vibrating

33. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

If the wheel bearing is bad would it have no play in the wheel? Cos usually there is play but not on any of my car wheels

34. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

I’ve noticed that gear changes are louder also when reversing I hear a loud knock also when turning on corners it knocks really loud sounds like something is loose

35. Siondc

Sounds like CV joint.

36. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

It doesn’t seem broken unless the internals are gone but will update in the morning see what the mechanic has to say

37. MikeCrum1996

MikeCrum1996 Member

Would a cv joint sound like a wheel bearing once it’s bad?

38. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi S3

Differential?

39. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

what about the CV in the middle of the prop shaft?

40. NickVC

NickVC Member

got the same problem right know, and deff. the prop shaft's middle joint..said it before actually..