Strange smell

S.line

Reaction score
I've got a 3.0 tdi 218 avant. Just got home from a short drive and on getting out of the car both me and the wife noticed a burning smell. Smelled similar to burning plastic? The engine fans were still going with engine off. The car has just done 4000 miles. Could this be a smell of the first dpf regen?

Has anyone ever noticed this? Going to keep a very close eye (or nose!) on it over next few days but also phone audi up tmro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my VW Golf the regen was very similar to what you've described and quite disconcerting when it first happens!! Als, my experience was that there was a lot of heat from the NSR of the car!

The fans would carry on for up to 5 mins or so as well.

Yes this is very normal. I have the 2.0 TDi 190 and this occasionally happens also. Nothing to worry about.

I've got a 3.0 tdi 218 avant. Just got home from a short drive and on getting out of the car both me and the wife noticed a burning smell. Smelled similar to burning plastic? The engine fans were still going with engine off. The car has just done 4000 miles. Could this be a smell of the first dpf regen?

Has anyone ever noticed this? Going to keep a very close eye (or nose!) on it over next few days but also phone audi up tmro.

Same car as you and like yourself was also a little alarmed by the smell first time it happened, but as discussed its just active regeneration - think ours has only done it maybe 3 or 4 times in 10.8k miles - or maybe thats the few times we've noticed.

From having previous audis my understanding is that when a regen happens the car is supposed to be driven until the regen is complete. This was to keep the heat in the dpf to burn all the soot off. My understanding is if you don't do this then it will try again and after 3-4 failed attempts it won't complete it. Wonder if this is still the case?

From having previous audis my understanding is that when a regen happens the car is supposed to be driven until the regen is complete. This was to keep the heat in the dpf to burn all the soot off. My understanding is if you don't do this then it will try again and after 3-4 failed attempts it won't complete it. Wonder if this is still the case?

It'd be really nice if something popped up on the dash to tell you that it was attempting a DPF regen. At least this way you could continue you drive around the block a few times until it finished. Mine runs the fans about once a week, so I'm fairly sure it's not getting enough opportunity to complete the DPF on my 12 mile commute (engine oil barely reaches operating temperature by the time I get to work).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

In that case I think all you have to do is go on a drive for about 10- 20 miles with the car in a lower gear than normal at a speed of over 40mph. Kinda defeats the whole economy thing though by having to make an extra journey.

In that case I think all you have to do is go on a drive for about 10- 20 miles with the car in a lower gear than normal at a speed of over 40mph. Kinda defeats the whole economy thing though by having to make an extra journey.

I don't get much of an opportunity to do that, but I think I will have to do a special trip soon. As you say, it's daft because it's not exactly fuel efficient or environmentally friendly to make an extra trip to regenerate the DPF.....

Aye, it's like chopping down a forest to save a few trees! Sounds as odd as it is!

The DPF is one of the reasons I vowed never to buy diesel again. I often drove it economically to achieve the claimed mileage figures (whichever ones you want to believe) and I pull up at home to find the fan spinning away. Drive it harder and it's fine. Mad system, totally mad. Then we find out that it's not the particulates that are the bad thing. Sorry, rant over :)

Hmmm I'm getting the fans and burning smell and I've done just over 500 miles in my 3.0 TDI quattro. Should I be concerned or just do some longer journeys at the moment I seem to be doing a 6 mile commute.

The dpf must be about the size of a thimble!

Anyway, when I bought the car I asked about the dpf and was told the v6 shouldn't produce much soot at it's that efficient!I explained to the sales about soot and he gave me an 'oops' look lol!

Hmmm I'm getting the fans and burning smell and I've done just over 500 miles in my 3.0 TDI quattro. Should I be concerned or just do some longer journeys at the moment I seem to be doing a 6 mile commute.
It will happen around every 300 miles so I suggest you take the car on a 10 minute drive, might be fun...