Strange shaking/vibration/juddering from front wheel/s

Dazmo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a strange problem which i am not sure about myself.

When on full lock to the left and reversing my driver side front wheel seems to judder and sort of slip, it feels like its trying to gain grip and doesnt sound good.

Its the same if i make a hard left turn on full lock the tyre will slip and judder like its trying to grip.

It sometimes feels like it might be a front suspension problem as it just does not feel right, my driver side front tyre is on low tread but it is legal so could it just be the low tread causing these problems or perhaps the tracking may be off?

My 2.0T does the same when the tyres are below a certain tread depth. When it first done it a year ago i took it in under warranty, audi said it's just something the car does when the tyres get under a certain tread depth. (can't remember what depth it was?) They actually put a new set of front pilots on for me as a good will gesture, could'nt believe it! It did stop it doing it aswell. They said it does'nt mean you need to change the tyres when it starts doing it, it's just something to do with the chassis design. Mine was doing it again for the last couple of months until i changed the front tyres again. If your still under warranty i'd get it put in for a check just in case. You never know you might get 2 new tyres?!

I wouldn't worry as I was also told this is normal, it's because it's on full lock.
My last few cars have all done it...

funny enough I've just booked mine into Audi for the same problem, goes in on the 13th Jan, so will let you know the outcome
Hi, my 55 plate 2.0tfsi avant is doing the same thing, just on right hand lock. did you ever get to the bottom of your problem, as one of my pals think it could be the drive-shaft????
Regards
Dave

Mine does exactly the same but I too am suspecting a CV joint as I'm getting knocking at full lock too

Yep, I am not conviced about the problem being the tyres, most people seem to say cv joints or drive shaft.

My friends S3 did the same. It was a sensor for traction control but im not sure if was the same because its a quattro.
It was basically sending the wrong info to the ecu and was causing juddering! It sounds kinda the same as it sort of skipped as it was on full lock!
And Audi dont always get it right. His went in for service with Audi and yeilded no cure from them so took it to a independent garage and got it fixed right away! The problem with main dealers if that they have come across similar problems say with a few cars and assume it must be the same for all! Not the case

funny enough I've just booked mine into Audi for the same problem, goes in on the 13th Jan, so will let you know the outcome

What did you say to audi then for them to have a look at it and book you in?

I think ill try changing the tyres and having the tracking checked first, if this does'nt fix it i will ring audi.

Just had my car into Audi today, they have said that it is nothing to worry about and that it does it on some cars, covertibles seem to be the worst culprits. The guy from Audi took me out in 2 different audi's and they both did the same thing. Still not convinced, as when pulling away from junctions on right lock or swinging round mini roundabouts, feels like the car is going to lose its grip and skid off. I may still take it to a local gararge and get them to have a look.

Yeah, probably is poor design, I have read a few reviews and they all say the same thing, take a look....

When leaning heavily on the outside tyres, it was possible to make the inside front wheel spin, but still it resisted pushing the nose on. These traits should make a good driver's car, but unfortunately Audi may have gone too far, as the A4 feels twitchy, which could easily turn off the average buyer........

The steering has lost that leaden, heavy feel it used to have. It's now very light at low speeds, and quite precise when turning into tight corners, but at freeway speeds it's rather dead and unresponsive. There is still some kickback and a trace of shake in choppy corners.
The ride is excellent at highway speeds, where poor surfaces are efficiently and smoothly ironed out. Low speed compliance is less impressive but still OK - around town you do feel the texture of the road and the ride can be a touch jiggly at times.........

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Though some critics dislike the extremely light steering feel of Audi’s Servotronic speed-dependent rack and pinion steering, I found myself enjoying the ease of getting in and out of tight parking spots. At higher speeds, the firmer steering feel provides excellent straight-line tracking and cornering response is quick without being too sensitive..........

[/FONT]

I have noticed today that the tyre judding is a lot worse in the snow and slush, as if the traction control is coming in, even at very low speed, like the tyres are sticking then rotating, sticking then rotating!!!!! Very strange?

I should point out that i have now had 4 new tyres fitted and it seems to have almost gone completly!

I was watching my wife pull off our drive, and could actually see the front tyres juddering, they were sort of starting and stopping, then slipping and unable to grip, as if the traction control was kicking in. I personally think it is a design fault from 2005 onwards, as Audi say this is normal. My friend has an Audi A4 saloon 1.8T (190) Quattro a 54 plate (model before my 55 plate) and his does not suffer from this tyre judder. I have been to Audi and had a few friends/mechanics drive it, and they all think it is something to do with the tyres/traction control/abs. Maybe it is when they get below a certain tread depth, but if this is the case, then it is ridiculous, as it is really off - putting when swinging round mini-roundabouts, or pulling away from junctions, bearing in mind at very low speeds. I only bought my car 3 and a half weeks ago and I am thinking of rejecting it from the gararge I purchased it from, as my wife cannot put up with this, (she, being the main driver) I will probably have to take it back to the gararge and ask them to resolve it, if its a design fault, then the gararge wont be able to do anything to fix the problem, therefore, I will reject the car, as it is not fit for purpose! Any thoughts from anyone?

Last edited:
Just had mine back from Audi today. They checked the tyres, suspension, electronics etc. and they couldn't find a fault. They witnessed the issue but said it's a common fault on A4's of this year, and that they're getting cars in weekly for the same issue...

Crap design but nothing to be concerned about. My tyres were fairly low on tred but were fine, unfortunately they didn't give me complementary tyres...:(

i've the same problem. bought an approved used 2006 A4 s-line avant from audi end of Oct 2009. i noticed after a few weeks it doing exactly what you guys say in this thread, i took it back to audi and they booked it in and replaced the steering rack! under warranty, as they noticed a fault on it, £600 job apparently. still made the judder noise though, what with xmas and going on hols etc, i've only just got round to taking it back in, this time a mechanic had a drive with me and he said he'd had the same issue on a few A4's and that it was a common issue, but nothing that could be resolved. he also passed me an internal audi email which reads -

'the juddering sometimes experienced when carrying out tight manoeuvring is casued by a combination of the vehicle geometry and the tyre condition on the vehicle. In certain circumstances is it possible for a driver to experience a juddering type feel from the front of the car, as already stated this is down to a combination of factors which include, tyre condition, road condition and weather condition. This type of juddering can be reduced by ensuring that tyres are kept in optimum condition in other words that tyre pressures are maintained in accordance with the owners manual and that the tyres have the required minimum tread depth across the profile of the tyre with no signs of uneven wear. The juddering can only accur during tight manoeuvring at low speed and this judder has no detrimental effect on tyre wear, tyre life expectancy or the vehicle itself. No technical change is possible to reduce the judder as it is influenced mainly by external factors. Hope this Helps Regards / Mit freundlichen Gruben'

Think i'll have to find an independant mechanic and get some second opinion, before approaching Audi again, it's still under their extended warranty. The ESP sensor fault sounds interesting? worth exploring, i think the tyre issue is nonsence, i've had and A3 and and A6 avant in the past and neither of those did it.

Anymore thoughts/advice from you guys would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi there, Don't listen to Audi mate, there is clearly a design fault with a certain amount of cars, registered between certain dates. I bought my 55 plate A4 Avant S-line 3 and a half weeks ago and I have told the gararge that I am rejecting the car. Audi have cocked up and wont admit liability as it would cost to much money to put the faulty ones right......................................... My friend is a mechanic and has said that it is probably something to do with the central Diff system, really expensive to put right, its one of those that you need to get onto watchdog before audi do anything. He also said the the tyres wont last 5 minutes due to the obvious juddering!!!!! Just watch someone drive your car round in circles slowly in a car park, the outside tyres is all over the place, it wobbles side to side and stops and rotates.....stops and rotates, as if it is trying to wheel spin, then stopping its self............. Audi saying that some cars do this, is a croc of sh*t!!!!!!!! REJECT YOUR CAR!!!!!!

Hi mate, i would reject it if i could, with Used Audi, they give you a 30 day cooling off period, which i've past by a couple of months now. Still under their extended warranty though. It's a hassle i could without, think i need an indendant mechanic to take a look, then i say a 3rd party report to go back to Audi with. I can't even flog it privately with this problem! I need to double check the T&C's from when i bought it from them. Cheers for your help mate.

hi all, i'm a newbie so b patient.
yep i've got same problem on nov 2007 plate s-line, seems to be all s-line running gear majority of time that is causing the problem. but it is strange that tyre wear does seem to have such an effect on how bad it is.
mine sounded horrible when taken to audi & the mechanic agreed, got it booked in for a week later but meantime renewed my front tyres due to being down to wear indicators & it dissapeared!! needless to say audi could not find anything. its now starting to come back so its going back in.

spoke to audi mechanic who said its s-line problem & audi cust/services know about it but audi tech are are making out its a charecteristic of the model???....dont think so, it sounds very bad.
audi america web forum suggests audi now have a tbc for this but has not been confirmed, but they need to fix this cos you couldnt sell it in this condition.

Hi guys,

I've got this exact problem with my Exeo (B7 Chassis). Noticed it initially on full right-hand lock when reversing on to my drive, but also now noticing it on full left-hand lock when pulling off my drive.

I've only done ~5,000 miles, so I don't see how it can be a tyre wear related problem, as both front tyres still have >6mm tread. The low mileage also kind of rules out any suspension bush problems. Pointing towards a chassis design issue in my eyes.

The car has been in to Seat, and they have witnessed the problem with the juddering and also a grinding type noise, but cannot find the fault.

They have sent a 'report' to Seat UK to see if there have been any other reported incidents of this problem on any other Exeo's (unlikely as only ~1,500 have been sold in the UK!).

Think I might suggest that they contact Audi to discuss the problem that they have identified on the A4 (B7), as suggested in this thread.

Regards,
Andy

Hi there, Don't listen to Audi mate, there is clearly a design fault with a certain amount of cars, registered between certain dates. I bought my 55 plate A4 Avant S-line 3 and a half weeks ago and I have told the gararge that I am rejecting the car. Audi have cocked up and wont admit liability as it would cost to much money to put the faulty ones right......................................... My friend is a mechanic and has said that it is probably something to do with the central Diff system, really expensive to put right, its one of those that you need to get onto watchdog before audi do anything. He also said the the tyres wont last 5 minutes due to the obvious juddering!!!!! Just watch someone drive your car round in circles slowly in a car park, the outside tyres is all over the place, it wobbles side to side and stops and rotates.....stops and rotates, as if it is trying to wheel spin, then stopping its self............. Audi saying that some cars do this, is a croc of sh*t!!!!!!!! REJECT YOUR CAR!!!!!!
Do you do many miles going round in circles then? It seems that this is the only time this is a problem so i wouldnt worry guys, my 2005 didnt do it...

I know it's a whilst since this post was added to but the 2006 A4 Sline 1.8t cabriolet I've just bought does the same when pulling out of my driveway to the right. It's quite embarrasing in front of your neighbours with the front jumping. For information my tyres are quite low on tread, but still legal. I've brand new tyres on the rear so I'm going to swap them to see if it improves.

I bought my cab new less than a year ago, now at 7000 miles, and has recently started making a crunching sound under right lock... sounds fairly consistent with other problems reported in this thread (although no juddering, just a noise)... pretty ****** off as not what I'd expect from a new car. Is going in on Thursday so will wait and see, though given others experiences it doesn't sound too hopeful...:crying:

Hi all, i have the same issue, A3 1.4 '08. Is it possible that models from 2005-on have some kind of limited slip differential? It feels like the inside wheel tends to spin..

Hi all,

When on full lock to the left and reversing my driver side front wheel seems to judder and sort of slip, it feels like its trying to gain grip and doesnt sound good.

Its the same if i make a hard left turn on full lock the tyre will slip and judder like its trying to grip.

It sometimes feels like it might be a front suspension problem as it just does not feel right, my driver side front tyre is on low tread but it is legal so could it just be the low tread causing these problems or perhaps the tracking may be off?
Hi all,

I have a Audi A4 Sline tdi Auto 2007 and I have the same problem having front wheel judder when turning the steering wheel full lock .This only started Jan.2017 after having the car a number of years.

Booked it into a local Audi dealer for a diagnostic check for £65,report came back saying this is characteristic of the suspension and occurs on A5,A6 and Quattro.

They didn't charge me saying they checked all suspension components for wear/play,no movement found.

So the problem still exists.