Strange Pattern on LED Headlights

Those blothches that look like fingerprints are the outlines of the individual beams of light let off by the individual LED diodes forming part of the cluster - in the headlamp unit there is not one LED bulb but a cluster of multiple each contributing to form the overall beam.

That's what I was going to say. Think back to the first ones on the A8 where there was a whole array just for the low beam that basically used up the entire width of the headlight. It's the same principal here I imagine, just that it's shrunk down and further back from the forward-most glass of the headlight so you can see the individual beams. :)

I wonder if the photons produced by the LED's are having an effect upon any dust within the lamps themselves, such as ionising them. Meaning giving them a electrical charge.
Can someone please email Brian Cox...

Reactions: Terminator x
Brian Cox...

He's too busy crying from his soapbox about Brexit and The Donald. When he's not, he's emitting vast amounts of CO2 by jetting around the world to attend Climate Conferences.....

Reactions: tickedon and Terminator x
As @MCarda has said there are individual LEDs in that hyperlite (that what we call them at work)

I'm not a electronics engineer So I can't give a definite answer as to what it is. But by taking into account how the McLaren hyperlite works is that it has a lens (lens optic) infront of that hyperlite that magnifies and foucuses that light hence it showing the dots. However i could be wrong but I can try and find out.

There can be fingerprints on the hypelite lens optic easily but it depends on the operation of the product and how the assembly process is set. I don't know if A4 lamps are hand built or not. I'm sure Audi would have something in place during the Audi and inspection part of the process to check for this.

There's nothing mystical going on here. Not much beyond a vacuum is optically perfect, so it's just light from the individual LEDs lighting up the headlight front, bit of internal reflection/refraction, etc. Will look more obvious on a dirty car but this will happen straight out of the box.

Laser lights sound good eh? I likes a nice pair of headlights I do....

Reactions: Daggerit and cuke2u
There's nothing mystical going on here. Not much beyond a vacuum is optically perfect, so it's just light from the individual LEDs lighting up the headlight front, bit of internal reflection/refraction, etc. Will look more obvious on a dirty car but this will happen straight out of the box.

Agreed, possibly an 'optical' effect caused by LED's which we're not used to seeing. Jumping to a conclusion that something is wrong without having the knowledge or experience or any other proven fact and just because something looks odd, is simply wrong.

‘Straight out the box’ new car received this week and noticed this on day 2 of ownership, and 30 miles on the clock

So there is nothing wrong then, I was watching some videos of audi headlamps taken in the dark and new cars were producing this effect. It is only shadows created by the led's and their lenses...

Reactions: Hambee1234
I don’t think anything is wrong with this as same on my 2 year old car and now my 2 day old car with both using the same lighting technology

Reactions: cuke2u and h1r4
Just checked on my car (with matrix lights) - exactly the same
20190121 191648

So it seems they all do that Sir!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Mine is the same, non matrix lights

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You need to clean them more often CHEZ, I use a citrus prewash, then a rinse, followed by a shampoo then another rinse and a dry with a clean microfiber cloth. Then I apply GTechniq G5 and buff with another microfiber cloth. ;-)

Reactions: CHEZ
I've always had this too with the matrix LEDs, only really noticed it when washing the car.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

my matrix lights are the same. I have to say that one of the most impressive parts of the audi experience is the matrix lights especially at this time of year.

My wife drives a peugot 3008 and i had to drive it home late from Birmingham airport a few weeks ago.

it was ****** hard work. I had a headache when i got in as i was straining to see the road ahead. There is no comparison

Reactions: cuke2u
I used to own a Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo, the headlamps looked nice (they were even used on late model Lamborghini Diablos), but the light output was absolutely dreadful. Makes me appreciate the Matrix LEDs even more.