Strange noise...

mdre83

Reaction score
Only started this evening, I've noticed a strange sound from the rear of the car. The only way I can describe it is, its like rubbing two sheets of metal together coupled with a high pitched whining noise... :think:

Hi mate... no idea if its the same issue but I had a nasty metallic scraping sound coming back from Scotland a few weeks back. It was a stone trapped between the brake pad and disc and only happened when moving slowly. Dissapeared after a few spirited uses of the brakes.

Sounded like metal scraping on the ground beneath the car, I thought something was seriously wrong. All the lads in the car were looking underneath trying to find the offending article !!

Yep as above, had exactly the same thing happen to me a short while back. Assuming it is a stone trapped between the brake disk - through normal driving the stone will eventually pop out. I've been driving mine for a few months since it happened and it didnt cause any damage/issues so whilst it sounds quite scary I wouldnt worry too much, unless of course it doesnt go away!

Hi mate... no idea if its the same issue but I had a nasty metallic scraping sound coming back from Scotland a few weeks back. It was a stone trapped between the brake pad and disc and only happened when moving slowly. Dissapeared after a few spirited uses of the brakes.

Sounded like metal scraping on the ground beneath the car, I thought something was seriously wrong. All the lads in the car were looking underneath trying to find the offending article !!

Yep as above, had exactly the same thing happen to me a short while back. Assuming it is a stone trapped between the brake disk - through normal driving the stone will eventually pop out. I've been driving mine for a few months since it happened and it didnt cause any damage/issues so whilst it sounds quite scary I wouldnt worry too much, unless of course it doesnt go away!

Thats exactly how it sounded.. also checked underneath but couldn't find anything.
I've drove this morning for about 20 miles or so (normal braking) and nothing. So may well have been something similar.
The brakes were all stripped down and cleaned just a couple of days ago as they were squeaking at very low speeds, so quite possible something has worked it's way in when they were reassembled...

Cheers for the replies :icon_thumright:

Last edited: