Strange noise when turning to the right

doce

Reaction score
My a3 1.4 tfsi 2008 makes strange vibrating noises ONLY when turning to the right at speeds above 40 km/h. I already replaced both front wheel bearings, also switched wheels position front/rear and noise is still there. It is low-frequency noise/hum, similar sound produce rumble strip, something like brrrrrr, brrrrrr. Does anyone have an idea what can cause this?

Kleber quadraxer 2 on 17" rims. Tyres are also brand new, replaced a few months ago but honestly, first month I did not noticed that noise, maybe bacause of louder music. I noticed that I have a problem just a few weeks ago.

No, everything carefully inspected and looks fine. Can it be something in gearbox? It is strange that noise is there only when turning to the right. :blink:

Problem solved, no more vibrations. Front left inner joint replaced.

Reactions: S38pkyle-ing
Problem solved, no more vibrations. Front left inner joint replaced.
Excuse my ignorance but do you mean the cv joint? I’ve had the same noise for months and not been able to figure out the cause.

I’m guessing I have the exact same drama as the noise from mine is like a very deep vibration. Like you said it’s a brrrrrp brrrrrp as I’m going round long right hand bends

Excuse my ignorance but do you mean the cv joint? I’ve had the same noise for months and not been able to figure out the cause.
Yes, cv joints rumble when the ball bearings inside are worn or damaged by dirt ingress.

Small update, the problem reappeared unfortunately. :( Brand new left inner joint just broke a few days ago. It was GSP joint and worked fine without producing any vibrations, now I replaced both of them with SKF. After test drive, vibrations are constant at 60+ KM/h on straight and while turning to the right. Again I replaced left joint with third one SKF and now I'm back to the beginning. On straight I have no vibrations but while turning to the right I can feel vibrations. I have no idea what is wrong now with the vehicle. Any suggestion?

I will try to put old stock joint from right side to the left side. My mechanic noticed that SKF joints has much more space from drive shaft compared to GSP or stock, maybe it is a problem. If that does not solve the problem then obviously I need to replace whole drive shaft on the left side. :(

Are you happy with the "tracking" ? Over the years Ive experienced a variety of knocking, bumping and squealing noises when it is significantly out of adjustment.

Wheel alignment? I done that two months ago before MOT test. It is just fine, I did not noticed any problems. These SKF joints are really suspicious, on two different joints there is a space from the axle, on one joint more, on second less. I regretted that I did not buy Meyle joints.

Recently replaced my left axle with an skf, no issues. Maybe the skf joints dont work well with the oem axle?
Part number vkjc 8204 for a 1.4 manual

It is very possible but that is not excuse for SKF. Part number for this joint is vkja 8001. I compared dimensions just now and SKF joint is 2mm shorter than OEM. No more SKF on my vehicle, I really regrett because I spent 150 EUR on these replacements and I could buy whole left axle for 200 EUR.

Definitely not an excuse.
So you have gkn/lobro available. Supposedly they are oem

Replaced left inner cv joint, this time again with GSP (my mechanic insisted) and no more vibrations. It's working for now, I hope it will not brake next month like old one.