1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sportback Strange noise from transmission

GW1 Jul 12, 2019 at 11:20 AM

1. GW1

GW1 Active Member

I have had my brand new RS3 for just over a week now and put some 500 miles on the clock. The other day I was in some very slow moving stop start traffic and I heard this strange bang/knocking noise, which sounds like backlash from either a CV joint or gearbox, or propshaft, I would just like to add that I have been driving the car with a lot of mechanical sympathy. I can replicate the sound very easy by, accelerating and quickly lifting off the throttle and quickly accelerating again and then you here the bang come backlash. I have come from a new 2017 S3 which didn’t have any noise whatsoever. I wonder if anyone else has heard this on their cars and I have nothing to be concerned with or is it a trip to the dealership. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Scotty75

Scotty75 Well-Known Member Sportback Team Brilliant Black Silver Supporter Audi A3 S-line owners group Manual

Sod that , brand new RS3....... I'd be straight back to the dealership mate

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

4. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

If you are concerned then best get it back to the dealer.

At 500 miles everything is still tight and new, mine was a bit clunky for first thousand miles or so, it takes a bit of time to settle down. Dont be too gentle on it, get the oil hot then give it some, get some boost built and some fuel flowing

GW1 likes this.
  5. GW1

GW1 Active Member

I like your mindset.

T-800 and Dan_DJT like this.
  6. JohnM100

JohnM100 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter VCDS Map User Team Navarra Audi S3 Black Edition

1. Back to dealer
    2. Lift off then back on throttle - how low did revs go? Could be confusing the gearbox as it’s trying to change down itself?

7. GW1

GW1 Active Member

No this isn’t the DSG, I have had four Audi’s and never heard this before. I have been out today and even if I drive at say 60 and I lift off and back on again it does it. I don’t think it’s the gearbox, It’s not a bang like I originally thought it more like a clunk. Still it’s going into the dealership so I will ask them to have a look at it.