Strange noise after new clutch

Jenno007

Reaction score
My old clutch was slipping like crazy so I had a new clutch installed in my car.

This is the clutch I went with Audi A3 1 8T 1996 2003 AGU AQA ARX AUM L B Flywheel Carbon Kevlar Clutch | eBay

When I first turn my car on there is a strange clicking noise and then another strange clicking noise happens when I depress the clutch.

When the car has warmed up and been driven around the first clicking noise disappears however there is still a strange noise that occurs when I depress the clutch. It defiantly wasn't there before and is very obvious!

The guys at the garage said to drive it for a week and if the noise doesn't disappear to take it back.

Is this normal or does it sound like something is wrong

Did you use proper VW fly wheel and clutch cover bolts?

There carbon kevlar clutches are renowned to be of dubious quality, i got a VR6 sachs clutch from same place with their flywheel and its been fine.
Did you get the external slave cylinder changed to?

Everything looked in great condition and brand new including the bolts. I presume the garage used the bolts that came with the kit. The garage said the clutch might need to wear in a little and adjust over a week or so but I'm seriously doubting that as nobody I've talked to has said it should be making the noise it is. I didn't get the external slave cylinder changed.

A few people have told me it sounds like the thrust bearings, I don't understand why they would be making all this noise with a new clutch when they didn't with the old one

Thanks for the reply and reassurance about the product, the noise isn't quite as bad as it was when I first got the car and it completely goes away when it has been driven for about 10 minutes now. If it hasn't completely gone by the end of the week I'll take it back to the garage. It's strange how the noise goes when it's warm. The actual clutch itself is great, really easy to drive with.

I've got the same clutch on my A3 and there is no noise