Strange New Noise - S3

AndyB-S3

Reaction score
Evening all.

I have been searching forum but cannot find the answers.

Over the last few days i have been hearing an additional engine noise under gentle acceleration. Almost an intake type noise that i have never heard before this week. just wondering if anyone else has had this or are aware of it. Maybe I am just hearing things and it's my imagination but thought would check anyway.

Cheers
Andy

Well it is only on acceleration and it sounds the same as your description in your thread. Cheers for that, glad it is not just my car.

It seemed to be ok this morning, being very cold here maybe that helps it? It certainly was more apparent last night when I went out for tea, had driven home from work picked up the Mrs then went straight back out again so all in all about 1.5hrs of driving.. will mention it when it goes in for a service and see if they are aware of anything.

Cheers V8 :thumbs up:

Reactions: pedro61163 and veeeight
@AndyB-S3 Hi, I have the same noise. It seems and induction noise under gentle acceleration, it is not engine rev related (it is constant during acceleration also during gearshift) and it immediately stops when release the accelerator. Audi has not been able to tell me the root cause of this noise nor how to get rid of it. Other users experience it on the german forum motortalk.de and it is of different intensity on different units (cars). Mine was not present in the first 4000-5000 km but begun after.

@veeeight I think the noise your thread refers to is the whining noise of the transmission. I have the overrun whining noise (that is getting worse because now it is present also in 6th gear at constant speed from 100 to 140 km/h) and it is different (in my case in addition) to the noise AndyB refers to. Sorry if, indeed, it is the same thing you refer to :)

Last edited:
My noise is back again.. :( Gonna start calling it Arnie!!

The last 3 times I have jumped in and driven it has been there.. disappeared for a wee while but seems a wee bit louder now than before? I may just drop in by my local stealer and see if they are aware of anything that would cause this.

So that along with my steering worries I have a couple issues to ask.

Reactions: Madmo