Strange metallic spring sound.

jerseypaul

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Got my car booked in for the recall next week.
As mentioned here - the brake duct / exhaust noise software mod.
anyone noticed a metallic "boing" - something like a spring being released.
its somewhere under the car, doesn't sound like a binding suspension component, but something smaller.
was wondering if it was the exhaust flap actuator or something.
will let the dealership know and advise if they find anything.

Hi guys.
Got my car booked in for the recall next week.
As mentioned here - the brake duct / exhaust noise software mod.
anyone noticed a metallic "boing" - something like a spring being released.
its somewhere under the car, doesn't sound like a binding suspension component, but something smaller.
was wondering if it was the exhaust flap actuator or something.
will let the dealership know and advise if they find anything.

Hi Jerseypaul,

I can honestly say that, other than the brake squeal I've reported, and its resolution, I've not had a singe issue with my RS3 to date (2800 miles). There are none of the nocks or rattles that you've reported with your car, it really is one of the best cars I've ever owned or driven, for that matter (and I have been technically involved in motor vehicle development, manufacture and after sales service for 30 or more years).

My car is booked for its first service (oil change) and brake duct recall in September; Stafford Audi have no knowledge of any other recall issue/modification to my own car (good, leave it alone).

Regards

Hi Jerseypaul,

I can honestly say that, other than the brake squeal I've reported, and its resolution, I've not had a singe issue with my RS3 to date (2800 miles). There are none of the nocks or rattles that you've reported with your car, it really is one of the best cars I've ever owned or driven, for that matter (and I have been technically involved in motor vehicle development, manufacture and after sales service for 30 or more years).

My car is booked for its first service (oil change) and brake duct recall in September; Stafford Audi have no knowledge of any other recall issue/modification to my own car (good, leave it alone).

Regards

No real issues with the car at all.
I pointed out the other noises to see if anyone else had noticed.
I'm sure it's all normal.
had a couple of S and RS Audis and the build quality has always been great.
It is going to be a keeper.

hi paul, my car is currently in audi with the same sort of metallic sound you describe but my metallic sound gets louder when i activate my air con or heating,the noise is also present when my car is in smode with stronic on in 2nd gear, it only went in yesterday not last week as was first booked so audi havnt got back to me yet with their finding, the noise is like a heat shield metallic sound ,apart from that ive got a sort of grinding noise when i start her up which then fades but comes back when hot also when i reverse while turning the steering wheel i get a strange clicking noise and finally 2nd and 3rd gear gets abit stuck somtimes 6-7k rpm before releasing ,while its at audi their aso gonna do the update and recall bits

as soon as i hear any news i will let you know m8 ,also if your noise comes and goes try record it on the phone and show the tech at audi ,mine started on and off but got worse and is now present all the time

Hi Paul,

The only recall is for the front offside blanking plate to be swapped out. As far as I'm aware and the team at Stoke Audi are aware there are no other bulletines or recalls for the brakes or exhaust...if there is please advise of the ref number or more details. (if there is one)

Mine also makes the "bong" noise, now you replicate by flicking the brake disc shield which gives a similar sound, mines apparant at slow speeds when 9/10 times it occurs I'm turning into my drive. I got the guys at Stoke Audi to have a look underneath and they could not find or see anything untoward, even a test drive could not replicate the noise, plus the dreaded seat squeak had also stopped several days prior to the car going in.

Otherwise all is well with the car and it's one of the best cars I've owned and I've had a few lol...

Cheers

Wayne

Hi Paul,

The only recall is for the front offside blanking plate to be swapped out. As far as I'm aware and the team at Stoke Audi are aware there are no other bulletines or recalls for the brakes or exhaust...if there is please advise of the ref number or more details. (if there is one)

Mine also makes the "bong" noise, now you replicate by flicking the brake disc shield which gives a similar sound, mines apparant at slow speeds when 9/10 times it occurs I'm turning into my drive. I got the guys at Stoke Audi to have a look underneath and they could not find or see anything untoward, even a test drive could not replicate the noise, plus the dreaded seat squeak had also stopped several days prior to the car going in.

Otherwise all is well with the car and it's one of the best cars I've owned and I've had a few lol...

Cheers

Wayne

Yes now you mention it it could be the metallic heat shield.
it is always at low speed as you describe.
will post any updated info.
thanks for sharing.

Audi performed my recall today and updated my software then called me to say that they are having trouble finding this noise i reported (metalic sound) and the tech who heard it previous on my car was on honeymoon and asked me to pop down to try help , so i went out with the tech and it seems since the recall bits and software update that the metalic sound has dissapeared so has the noise from the blowers hot/cold/ac , and the clicking noise when i reverse wasnt present eaiher no matter how hard i tried so all good news, my car is still at audi as its abit sticky in 2nd/3rd and i can start the car without having my foot on the brake ,but hopefully have her back soon

att moschops
going back 3 weeks ago when i posted up the recall news on the forum audi told me the recall was for brake cooling issues and noises squeal etc and the software update was for various values and certain cold start issues thats all i know maybe your car doesnt need this done so its not coming up at stafford on the system, maybe audi uk might help, also when i go back to collect my car i will quiz them for anymore info about whats been done for you,

are there anymore rs3's on here that also start without applying the footbrake anyone even checked? lol, if you lot can check and post up

Sticks, thanks for the info..yeah if you find anything out that would be great.

I'll let you know tomorrow re the brake/start thing, I know in my previous A6 and the A6 loan car I have at present I can start it with out my foot on the brake, but on the wifes A1 Black Edition you have to put your foot on the brake.

both my q7 and 2011 a3 s-tronic allow you to start without the footbrake being pressed despite the same message you get.. still no rs3 to join the chat with:( but not that many sleeps now!

My S3 DSG will start without foot on brake... I find this strange as the DIS suggests that I need to apply the brake to start!

Hi gang.
No reoccurrence of the metallic spring noise since the recall.
Car getting better as the air temp drops.

Glad you've got your "metallic spring noise" sorted - mine hasn't developed that, as yet.

But, in what way is the "car getting better as the air temp drops"?

I'd be very surprise if you noticed an increase in engine performance from the RS3, with its turbocharged and intercooled engine.

With a naturally aspirated engine; however, the ambient air temperature (and moisture content, therein) does, most certainly, play a huge part in engine performance/output.

However, if you are getting increased performance with your RS3 (or do you mean the VW T5 Transporter 4motion 130?), then it must be something peculiar to that wonderful Jersey island air.

Enjoy!

Glad you've got your "metallic spring noise" sorted - mine hasn't developed that, as yet.

But, in what way is the "car getting better as the air temp drops"?

I'd be very surprise if you noticed an increase in engine performance from the RS3, with its turbocharged and intercooled engine.

With a naturally aspirated engine; however, the ambient air temperature (and moisture content, therein) does, most certainly, play a huge part in engine performance/output.

However, if you are getting increased performance with your RS3 (or do you mean the VW T5 Transporter 4motion 130?), then it must be something peculiar to that wonderful Jersey island air.

Enjoy!

hi mate
Car just seems to have better initial pickup in cooler air.
I know the logic of the inter cooler etc but it just seems better.
Jersey air is probably just a bit more expensive than normal air!
everything else is!
the car is awesome just waiting to get away in it again.

hi mate
Car just seems to have better initial pickup in cooler air.
I know the logic of the inter cooler etc but it just seems better.
Jersey air is probably just a bit more expensive than normal air!
everything else is!
the car is awesome just waiting to get away in it again.

I have been driving bonkers 4wd turbo cars for 25 years, I started on a 20v urquattro, all of them incl none icooler cars have produced way more bang as the air temp drops, it's due to the increased air density

The best times are very early when the temps a couple of degrees over 0 and there's a lot of moisture in the air like lowish level fog or mist