Strange juddering when maneuvering on cold starts

A6 Avant

Reaction score
I'm having a strange intermittent issue on cold starts. Basically the car starts juddering/struggling slightly when maneuvering, particularly in reverse and when the wheels are at full lock, then after a minute or so it stops and the car drives normally. It only seems to happen when the car has just been started after being left all day/overnight and it doesn't happen every time (probably a couple of times a week).

Can't tell whether it's the tyres scraping on something (which is what it feels like) or possibly something to do with the gearbox (I've heard that problems with the mechatronic unit can have similar early symptoms). I've also just come across a thread talking about 'tyre skipping' which is something I'd never heard of before but sounds like that could be another possibility. Just wondering if anyone else has come across the same issue on an A6 C8 (mine's an Avant) and got to the bottom of it?

I suspect it is the tyres skipping on full lock. Happens on mine as well, think it is down to cold tyres and perhaps some wear on the tyre, mine have done 8.5k so are probably at about 5-6mm of tread

I suspect it is the tyres skipping on full lock. Happens on mine as well, think it is down to cold tyres and perhaps some wear on the tyre, mine have done 8.5k so are probably at about 5-6mm of tread
Thanks I’m hoping it’s just a combination of that and the sluggish changes to and from reverse (which would perhaps explain it momentarily feeling like it’s struggling to move).

My front tyres have covered about 5k and the rears are brand new.

What’s weird is that it disappears almost instantly when I drive away (once the initial manoeuvre is complete).

DSG is really sluggish overall for c8's (a6 and a7). I figure it is something to do with that.
I have to admit I dont have sluggish feeling on maneuvering, but instead overall throttle lag compared to earlier c7 when pushing pedal.
Try Manual mode and then manouver, maybe its more responsive?

I had this again today on full lock and I'm now pretty sure it's mostly down to 'tyre skipping' and also not helped by the gearbox which feels a bit sluggish at low speeds.

I also sometimes have the overall throttle lag at junctions etc but find that putting it into sport mode helps with that. Currently trying to establish whether my car (40 TDI) has had the ECU update which is supposed to fix the throttle lag.

There is no ECU update for throttle lag on dsg, there were supposedly some updates for 50&55 tdis which use 8 gear tiptronic gearbox. In any case, remap is only way.
Some information I received about it is that Audi wanted to try out if this would give clutches longer lifetime, guess we will see :)

There is no ECU update for throttle lag on dsg, there were supposedly some updates for 50&55 tdis which use 8 gear tiptronic gearbox. In any case, remap is only way.
Some information I received about it is that Audi wanted to try out if this would give clutches longer lifetime, guess we will see :)
I'm pretty sure some 40 TDI owners have said they've received an ECU update which has improved the throttle lag. Mine has had various updates carried out and the throttle lag seems better than I remember it being originally so I'm wondering if they carried out the update on mine without me knowing. And if not I'll obviously try and get it done but I need to know what the update's reference number/name is if anyone knows?