strange dsg7 behaviour last night

karlabdool

Reaction score
hi,

so after some somewhat heavy stop and go traffic last night (i've been in worse). The traffic finally cleared and i proceeded to accelerate the car but it wouldn't leave second gear(well it indicated it was in d2) and it was also rev limiting at about 2000-2500 rpms.

No warning symbols or messages.

i pulled aside, I saw a message 'Please select gear' either when i placed it in park or when i came to a complete stop in D.
I switched off the car, then switched it back on soon afterwards and it drove fine.

Haven't drove it since, will see later if it does it again.

Any one experience this?
car is a3 sb 1.8tfsi fwd, dsg7

Thanks for your insight.
Karl.

I had this problem with my MK6 golf. Since I got it it always struggled a bit getting out of 2nd and then eventually 2 and a half years later it got worse - exactly like you have explained. It would just get completely stuck, revving loud. They fobbed me off again and again saying it was just a characteristic of the dsg. Eventually they took it back after I explained it could be dangerous - I also discovered that they recalled millions for the same reason but it will take them until 2015 to sort them all. I really hope my A3 won't have this issue.

hi,

so after some somewhat heavy stop and go traffic last night (i've been in worse). The traffic finally cleared and i proceeded to accelerate the car but it wouldn't leave second gear(well it indicated it was in d2) and it was also rev limiting at about 2000-2500 rpms.

No warning symbols or messages.

i pulled aside, I saw a message 'Please select gear' either when i placed it in park or when i came to a complete stop in D.
I switched off the car, then switched it back on soon afterwards and it drove fine.

Haven't drove it since, will see later if it does it again.

Any one experience this?
car is a3 sb 1.8tfsi fwd, dsg7

Thanks for your insight.
Karl.

I had this problem with my MK6 golf. Since I got it it always struggled a bit getting out of 2nd and then eventually 2 and a half years later it got worse - exactly like you have explained. It would just get completely stuck, revving loud. They fobbed me off again and again saying it was just a characteristic of the dsg. Eventually they took it back after I explained it could be dangerous - I also discovered that they recalled millions for the same reason but it will take them until 2015 to sort them all. I really hope my A3 won't have this issue.

ok , well this is the first time this happened to me, the car is doing 8000kms.
I am hoping it was just a software problem and the restart/reboot fixed it. Perhaps the traffic driving i was in before had something to do with it. Gearbox overheating/failsafe mode or something, who knows. Of course if it does it again it is straight back to audi.

Hopefully it's just nothing. I'd expect the dsg is better now than it was on my 61 plate golf.

My TTS had a replacement Motronic Unit and I had a few problems after with 2nd and 3rd gears.

My S3 has been fine up to yesterday I put the car into reverse and the car, which usually slowly moves back as you cover the brake, didn't move at all. I had to fully release the brake pedal, put car into N then back into R and press the accelerator to make the car move backwards.
It also happened a short while later in Drive.

It has been OK today! Hope there is no reason to panic!!!!!

Last edited:
I am so scared of DSG... My TTS had a replacement Motronic Unit and I had a few problems after with 2nd and 3rd gears. My S3 has been fine up to yesterday I put the car into reverse and the car, which usually slowly moves back as you cover the brake, didn't move at all. I had to fully release the brake pedal, put car into N then back into R and press the accelerator to make the car move backwards.
It also happened a short while later in Drive.
It has been OK today!

hmm all this strange behavior yesterday?, was there some solar flares or something? lol

Reactions: illingworth22