Strange beeping sound ????

Essflee

Reaction score
It's happened twice now in the 2-3 months i've had the car.
It only happens when i turn the ignition on,there is a beep beep
noise that only last's a couple of seconds.It sounds like it comes from
the rear of the car,the first time i heard it i kind of thought... oh well,
but now hearing it the second time i'm more intrigued,
it sounds a bit like the sort of noise you might hear when there's
a traffic announcement :uhm:

Yes it's the alarm controller warning you that the backup batteries in the alarm are screwed. Next the alarm will start going off at 3am and yes it does sound like a clock radio. New unit is about £80 from audi dealer, or you can prise open the unit and replace the rechargeable cells, but it's not designed to be opened so take care. There's loads of info on here about it if you do a search.

it's not the alarm is it? the alarm is the most pathetic beep going....

i can now confirm this as my alarm went off yesterday on my s3. i really though it was when u leave the phone off the hook for too long. Not impressed!!:no:

Mine has started doing it and I should really get a replacement unit. How easy would it be to chop the wires to the unit and buy a replacement to fit elsewhere?

The alarm is dying is it ?
That is pretty poor... the cars only done 40,000ish miles,
seems to be one thing after another.
Thanks for solving my problem tho ! much appreciated...
Is it easy enough for me to sort do you think ?
and where exactly is the unit ?

Its the alarm siren rear passenger quarter behind the lense, access from the cd changer removal cover/panel, its a ******* to get to I can tell yer, the backup batteries split over time & spill the acid over the pcb inside siren & then it starts to go, thats why it beeps, if you were near me I would help you change it, just bit of time & patients & you can easily change it over.

It is 100% this for sure, dont buy 2nd user as they are usually the older style, Audi have upgraded them to a newer flatter version, pay the £80 as doing it 2-3 times like I did really ****** you of, go for new at least for this part.

Smiler.

Cheers Nigel, i'll be putting my order in then...
Thanks for the offer, I'm in East Anglia, don't know about you ?

Aky... how long has yours been beeping ?
Want to gage how urgent it is and how log it will be
before the neighbours are gunning for me....

East Sussex fella, so bit out of your area, lol.

As long as you have patients & slim arms then no need to remove the central locking pump/convenience module, but when moving the unit take care with unit as this does a fair bit of electronics on car.

Actually as yours is facelift I think your car actually changed from air pressure lock/unlock to electrical on the facelift 01 onwards, if that makes sense as older cars had a pump that blew/sucked air back/forth for lock/unlock that sat right behind that lense & then further down bolted to the wing is the siren.

Thinking about it the central locking module might be smaller than mine, so should be easy on the hands, if you get chance stick pic on here so can see for my own gratification what yours actually has as my S3 which I facelifted anyway actually had the pump with air pipes, but the beeping noise is always the same on pre & facelift models.

Smiler.

dunno - doesn't do it all the time and mainly happens when the car has been stood over night or after work etc. probably does it 2-3 times a week for the last couple of months. especially did it when it was colder

Yeah... a tad out of the way Lol
So you say patients and slim arms, i think my Missus may fit the bill
there, going to have to do some groveling :laugh:

Post a pic on here frontal & side view, then I can confirm to all if its new style or old style as new style is better to fit now I'm afraid because of the battery issues, not that anyone doubts your item of course.

Here you go... box has the same Audi part numbers on it but I guess you dont need to see a box....

Braemar085.jpg

Braemar086.jpg

Rick

Thats the new version so better one to use.

Note this whoever buys " THE NUT THAT GOES ON THE NEW SIREN IS DIFFERENT SIZE TO THE ONE THAT COMES OF THE OLD SIREN " so just before fitting pop into local diy store & get a new nut, audi supply them with new version as its noted on ETKA to buy it aswell(can u believe they charge for new nut aswell, doesnt come with, ok stupid me we are talking about the stealers)

But this is good for anyone with the 3-4 beeps at rear of car.

PS. How do I change my username on here or is it permanent????

Well if someone buys it, it will have a nice new stainless steel nut with it. Read the stickies at the top of the 8L section, I think it talks about the beeps.

Got it..

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=14541&highlight=beeps

Your username is for keeps.. unless you re register but I assume the mods on here are wise to that sort of thing, being the omnipresent beings.....

Here's the difference between the new and old units.
02122006189.jpg

02122006188.jpg

And yes, the nut part is bigger on the newer style unit, which means you need a drill bit to make a bigger hole on the bracket that holds the old unit, thought I'd mention it before you get stuck mid way through....

Oh *****, sorry I did forget to say that, yes you have to drill the hole large, takes seconds, lol, whoops.

Ok so PM OlllyK, gotcha, now suggestions for names, lol, lol, nice ones to that dont get me banned, lol.

You'll be lucky mate as they dont come up very often, just pay the £80 like us all have, its then sorted & as its your alarm £80 is small price to pay huh.

When you refit it, can it not be relocated to under the bonnet somewhere??

Yeah if you rewire it to there, the main convenience module is also there which is also the pump so have to check if wiring is to that or to somewhere else, anything is possible but they obviously put it somewhere it cant easily be cut of when broken into.

& yes the siren is really really *****

Problem is you cant have it to loud because of I believe laws on alarms & how long they go of for, etc etc, enviromental health ******

yes loud alarms just get you in more trouble ....

LOL....i doubt that anyone is going to come with a sound sensor thingymebob when the alarm is going off, but you never know with this crazy ol' world we live in!!!

I think we need some lorryist horns under the bonnet...woohoo, that would scare them off!!!

Hi rick ,

Thanks this cant wait to fit the new siren now and get rid of these problems ;)

Well if someone buys it, it will have a nice new stainless steel nut with it. Read the stickies at the top of the 8L section, I think it talks about the beeps.

Got it..

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=14541&highlight=beeps

Your username is for keeps.. unless you re register but I assume the mods on here are wise to that sort of thing, being the omnipresent beings.....