Strange audio levels etc with Bose. Aftermarket headunit's sound fixed.

Bazzle

Reaction score
Only one day with the fix ...

The sound levels and freq response seemed to have a mind of its own after I fitted an Audiosources AS-8603
http://www.audiosources.net/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=50004&Id=167&FId=t3:50004:3
and later also an Erisin headunit es-7683a
http://www.erisin.com/erisin-es7683...mcd-dvrin-dtvin-iphone45-audi-a3-s3_p519.html

Both these units were plug and play for the 4 channel Bose system :) (Couple of tricks to fit correctly)
BUT the sound was never quite right...

After searching on here and other forums I found links to the term AudioPilot?
It would seem with the Audi Concert 11 etc you can adjust various settings to do with frequency response and ambient sound levels. You can't set these when the headunit is replaced as only the Audi unit can talk to the Bose amp :(. (vcds doesn't recognise modules)

Further research suggested unplugging the microphone in the overhead console where the cabin lights are.
You just pull off the rearward grey cover and there is a rectangular block (microphone) there. The plug just pulls out from the main assembly. Some people had success, others not so.

On my drive to work today... the sound level was constant... the frequency response was back to normal..yayy..low freq boomp from the sub again :)

Now I will probably have an Audiosources headunit to sell as I wont need 2 off. Initially I blamed the unit .

Baz

Is it labelled as "microphone" in the back of the unit? So you unplug at that end?

What unit? The aftermarket head units don't use the signals.
Even so , so much easier to just pull the trim down and unplug in overhead.

Got the ***** A sure one off eBay. Does that strange worble thing when listening to radio.

To be honest, you are buying junk from China in that headunit, get a proper one like a Pioneer and there isnt that problem.

To be honest, you are buying junk from China in that headunit, get a proper one like a Pioneer and there isnt that problem.

100% I did a mini review thread on one of these units.

They're ****. Complete waste of £250.

Hi i'm new to forum and i could do with some help.I bought a as 8603 as my r nse unit didn,t seem to work properly.The volume had a mind of its own and sat nav didn,t work at all.
Now the as 8603 is fitted everything works but the volume is up and down with the added noise of electrical interference.I,ve had the car 2mths and i dont think the r nse was original unit as the wiring block was altered.The garage i bought the car from we,re unhelpful and didn,t want to know.

Thanks for reply i'll have a look at the info and hopefully solve the problem.
I think i'll pull wires from microphone like you did and see if that levels the sound