Stop the clock...Start the thread-My baby is home

Looks like human error!

I assume it's unrelated to your missing oil pressure?

Looks like human error!

You know me too well already.

I assume it's unrelated to your missing oil pressure?

God knows mate,haven't even looked into that one yet.I'm waiting for my mechanic to drop by to help me find a solution to be able to drive it again.I'm hoping I might be able to use your trick of sticking the piece back in and finishing the jigsaw,strap a jubilee clip round it,leave the air con off and think about a replacement solution.Last time it was a bill of about £250 getting the air con sorted :blink:

I can now see why a first aid kit was an optional extra with these cars,plenty of sticky plaster required.It just seems like fix one job the next one appears!

Ha! Not guilty!
Seriously bad luck mate, so I take it that oily fluid is what came out of that compressor?

Ha! Not guilty!

Not even by association?

Seriously bad luck mate, so I take it that oily fluid is what came out of that compressor?

Yeh,it has kindly coated most of the engine bay in compressor oil,luckily it didn't mess up that lovely TIP.

I'd steam clean if I was afraid of fecking something else up :crying:

It seems my luck has changed slightly for now.After contacting the air con compressor suppliers and them seeing the evidence they are sending out a replacement part so now I'll only have to pay to get it fitted/drained/regassed.

Still going to cost three figures no doubt,but a small victory I suppose.It would be nice to spend some money on petrol instead of parts for a change :yes:

Reactions: S3 Hilife and Stuart B
Had my mecnamic pop round last night to take a look at the exploding air con compressor and we agreed it's ok to drive it with the air con off so i can crack on with fitting the new PCV pipe and spark plugs.

I'm not a superstitious person as such but with it being FRIDAY 13TH I'm not going anywhere near my S3 today,I don't want to tempt fate!

Went and fitted the new PCV pipe today,what a bitch of a job,beat my hands up good and proper trying to get the silcone pipe onto that stupid plastic breather under the inlet manifold.How you guys with fat fingers manage to work on these cars amazes me,anyway after about 2 hours of struggling got it all back together.Plenty of crud in the pipe I replaced...
DSC 0360

Took the car out for a short run and all was fine until the oil can on the DIS came up again and it sounded like a diesel.

Scanned the car and it came back with...

16395 - camshaft (A) intake ****** setpoint not reached

I expect the '******' part is referring to me as I must be one for buying this damn car :rage:, pick up pipe was changed last Feb along with the sump,cambelt and water pump.Suppose it could be oil pump related but searching on here seems to point to VVT and that worries me as it will be expensive and I don't know if I want/can or even fancy doing it,if that is the problem,not to mention the bills involved.

when you said it "runs like a diesel" do you mean it is misfiring again? did switch off and on again resolve the misfire? was it limp home mode?

I feel so sorry you so much tcg :(
I need to drive 100s of miles tomorrow and I have a low tyre tread on my 1.2 Clio which means I am using the "roulette wheel" for business instead, that will be squeaky bum time the whole journey.

Is the new fault accompanied with an EML ? or is it potentially historic? when I sorted out my timing belt to the correct position I did get that error once, then never again.

obviously you already looked at it, has it possibly jumped a tooth when it was misfiring before?
---
16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
Possible Symptoms
  • Power Loss
Possible Causes
  • Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty
  • Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
  • Mechanical Timing not correct, including Chain and/or Belt timing.
Possible Solutions
  • Check Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205)
  • Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
  • Check Mechanical Timing
Special Notes
  • When found in Engine: 4.0l W8
    • Check TPL 2010059(RoW)
      • Check/Replace Oil Sieve in Timing Case (Camshaft Adjuster)
----

I ran mine for about 4000 miles out by a tooth with no real issues apart from the occasional EML and error code.

when you said it "runs like a diesel" do you mean it is misfiring again?

The car ran fine for about 4-5 miles then the oil can lit up and as I slowed down,nearing home,it sounded like a 'rattling can'.The misfire seems to be a thing of the past,at present.

No EML just a $hit sounding engine,very 'tapperty'.

I think this is now officially the worst car I've ever owned!...I haven't looked into the timing,I don't know which way to go at the moment,right now I would like to see it gone but with £3k spent on the purchase and about the same spent again in less than a year,£6K for a car sat in my garage off the road again,that I don't like or trust right now,I'm sinking fast into depression :cower:

I don't work,but due to elderly mothers and an ailing dog I need my car to be readily available and reliable,so my GF is the one pumping money down the drain.Luckily she is very understanding but I'm sure I caught sight of her looking at buying a voodoo doll that's the spitting image of me.

I wonder whether bits of the broken PCV pipe have worked their way down into the sump and wash around for a bit then cover the pick up pipe causing the low oil pressure? hence okay for a bit.

these cars are hard work. I am not going to tell you - it will be okay after one more repair.

I wonder whether bits of the broken PCV pipe have worked their way down into the sump and wash around for a bit then cover the pick up pipe causing the low oil pressure? hence okay for a bit.

Hope not mate,it's only done a few thousand miles since it was changed.

Check and replace the pressure valve within the oil filter housing

Thanks for the heads up mate,any particular way to check it?

It seems it's easy to chase 'your' own **** with this problem from reading so many posts on here.I've read about people changing oil pumps,pick up pipes,VVt's and spending a fortune on the way.

Did read an article about simply changing the 'Hockey Puck' that cured it after they'd thrown a shed load of money on parts,etc.

I know there is always someone worse off than myself but Feb is an expensive month in this house,my car insurance for starters,amongst other large bills,and I'm in two minds about renewing that :blink: I'll check the pressure relief valve once I know how,do an oil and filter change and walk to my local Audi to order a new 'Hockey Puck' and pressure relief valve,if needed.

Lacking sleep due to this car spinning around in my head!

i was just brainstorming why the camshaft error of all things.

And you say the top end is rattly. So i would guess the lifters maybe aren't seeing the pressure they need? And/or the cam tensioner isn't seeing adequate pressure? And one of the things that is used to maintain oil pressure i believe is the valve in the oil filter housing. Alternatively perhaps the Cam tensioner itself is faulty

Oh mate hope it's not VVT that could send me over the edge :blow:

Here's a pic of the oil filter housing with what I think is the pressure valve,be grateful if you could confirm,looks like it got the dipstick tube in the way.

DSC 0366

Off for a nice stroll to Audi,agood 4-5 miles walking in the fresh air to help clear my head.

Looks like you are a bit ahead of me, get the car back tomorrow from the local INDY, FYI they charge 480 for the cam belt and water pump change. What liner did you go for as I need the same to get the Lab in, don't need bards though as he would not dare!!
Hows yor switch gear as mines has all worn off so going to try the stickers first and see what happens. Can you also tell me about the recall even after this time! (mines 2002) Same with the antenna but go an Ebay special for a few quick as it does not need to be 'active'

when you said it "runs like a diesel" do you mean it is misfiring again? did switch off and on again resolve the misfire? was it limp home mode?

I feel so sorry you so much tcg :(
I need to drive 100s of miles tomorrow and I have a low tyre tread on my 1.2 Clio which means I am using the "roulette wheel" for business instead, that will be squeaky bum time the whole journey.

Is the new fault accompanied with an EML ? or is it potentially historic? when I sorted out my timing belt to the correct position I did get that error once, then never again.

obviously you already looked at it, has it possibly jumped a tooth when it was misfiring before?
---
16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
Possible Symptoms
  • Power Loss
Possible Causes
  • Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty
  • Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
  • Mechanical Timing not correct, including Chain and/or Belt timing.
Possible Solutions
  • Check Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205)
  • Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
  • Check Mechanical Timing
Special Notes
  • When found in Engine: 4.0l W8
    • Check TPL 2010059(RoW)
      • Check/Replace Oil Sieve in Timing Case (Camshaft Adjuster)
----

I ran mine for about 4000 miles out by a tooth with no real issues apart from the occasional EML and error code.

I chased this fault for a while. This fault code and missfiring and sounding like a scooby with anti lag when under load over 5k rpm.

Oil pick up was fresh from an engine overhaul, turned out to be a coil pack breaking down under load.

Replaced all 4 coil packs and job done.

Are you getting a miss? Or did it just get rattly and throw the code (more like an oil pressure and VVT adjustment problem)
Check the missfire counters on vag com. Mine finally threw a missfire cylinder 4 code as well as 16395

Got to remember these codes arent plan and simple, look for the fault that could cause the code.

Mine was the timing trying to pull itself back under the missfire (apparently)

Been fine ever since

I chased this fault for a while

I'm chasing after you mate!

The new spark plugs seem to have sorted the misfire,well I say sorted,if I had chance to drive it far enough to find out :blush: It's the low oil pressure which is attacking me now.I only have vcds lite although that's still more intelligent than me at present.I've ordered the and a new oil filter from Audi today.

I need to get a new PCV pipe that goes into the block part no. 06A 103 213 F but Audi want £30 + vat so I've had a look on ebay and found this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-M...254270?hash=item2c8396b9be:g:rrEAAOxy3cJTfH-V

Same OE part no. but states not suitable for S3 which is strange so I'll have to hope someone can confirm.

Its a long shot but its something i've heard a few times when concerning oil pressure.

Thanks Karl,that means a filter housing removal job then.No part no. available for that part on the database,found a TT thread stating two part numbers oil pressure relief valve...

077 103 175B
06A 103 175

Apparently one is threaded,one push fit,the beauty being I won't know until I've taken it out or even if I can get one.

Once I've fitted the PCV piping and 'Hockey Puck',if that makes no difference I'll have to look at getting the oil filter housing off.I guess the next job after that on the scale of price is to take the sump off and clean the pick up pipe,that was new less than 4000 miles ago along with the new sump,done by Audi.If I get to that stage I may as well change the oil pump but Audi want £150 + vat so I need to search about finding a quality alternative,if possible.Also need to research sump sealant as I expect you know Audi charge £25 for their own super stuff :blink:

Just trying to rule out as much as possible without throwing wads of cash at so if I get that far and it's still the same we could be into the dreaded VVT tensioner and from Audi that comes in at a cool £550,even a copy part is going to at least half that I'd imagine if there any good then I'm not sure I want to do that myself,I might get it wrong and it's going to cost a few hundred in labour.

What liner did you go for as I need the same to get the Lab in

#post182

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/stop-the-clock-start-the-thread-my-baby-is-home.261997/page-5

Hows yor switch gear as mines has all worn off so going to try the stickers first and see what happens

Changed my buttons mate...post#82

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/stop-the-clock-start-the-thread-my-baby-is-home.261997/page-3

Recall check for coilpacks was done when I first went to the dealership,mine had been changed from the original ones already before I got the car.

At least your sump should be easy enough to remove if changed recently, that's my dreaded fear and why I haven't touched mine.

On my old motorbike a bit of broken side panel where it had been dropped worked it's way into the oil pressure valve and jammed it open causing oil pressure issues unless at high revs,

At least your sump should be easy enough to remove if changed recently, that's my dreaded fear and why I haven't touched mine.

Every cloud has a silver lining,eh?

On my old motorbike a bit of broken side panel where it had been dropped worked it's way into the oil pressure valve and jammed it open causing oil pressure issues unless at high revs,

Sure that wasn't an excuse to 'don' a silly wig and pretend your Guy Martin,eh up!

"and pretend your Guy Martin,eh up"

have a w*nk in the van before the Isle of Man TT, that's not illegal is it? <-- I don't speak Lincoln

As Karl suggested the oil pressure valve may be shot, perhaps some debris has jammed it open. its weird it always breaks after 4 miles - or is it only when you are slowing down after 4 miles?

Reactions: tcg
After walking to my local Audi and back,a similar distance,my blood pressure has exceeded mt oil pressure :blink:

I'm surprised you weren't bamboozled into buying a new S3 with your 8L in as part-exchange.

I went there to complain and bought a hinddenberg, timeshare and these melted ice creams

Whilst waiting for my new oil pump,new tools and sundries to arrive I thought I'd better take the opportunity to finally get round to doing my leaking cam cover and VVT gaskets.

Only a couple of hours to strip of the necessary bits to get to the cam cover and the results of the jury are in...

DSC 0352

I'm guessing aftermarket gasket as the half moon is part of the gasket itself.

As for the inside of the cam cover...

DSC 0351

Enough carbon to start a BBQ :blink: back to doing what I'm best at...scrubbing,no doubt a few days worth there!

I'm guessing aftermarket gasket as the half moon is part of the gasket itself.

Really getting old,haven't even got to the half moon seal,must be the cold weather causing 'brain freeze' :blush: that job is for the weekend,I hope.

arhh, so there's not a section of it floating around in the engine.

This weekend I have been mostly scrubbing...

DSC 0354

That's a bit of an improvement :yes: also thought I'd give the top a bit of a spruce up...

DSC 0356

Not great but looks better than before,it will be covered by the beautification engine cover anyway.

Just need to give it a couple of coats of high temp lacquer to seal it,that's a job for tomorrow in between making a start on the tensioner gaskets.

Reactions: feck_on_a_stick
Very clean...

What's the extra bit on the top of the cam cover, by the oil filler?

they don't normally have a gold plate on them, do they though? maybe its myeyes or some sort of reflection.

they don't normally have a gold plate on them, do they though? maybe its myeyes or some sort of reflection.

Init though!

That's how we roll in the Oxford Massive...but unfortunately no,it's the reflection from my garage lights.

Today is not a good day,I seem to be repeating myself!

While I was waiting for my cam cover to dry I thought (bad idea) I would replace the plastic PCV pipe that goes into the oil filter housing as the old one was gunked up and crumbling.As I was struggling to get it to fit in so that I could put the clip on it I used all of my 9 stone muscles to push down and the result was...

DSC 0359

I can't believe my luck with this car,I could understand it if I was a brute of a man :rage: so now I need either another oil filter housing and all the hassle of changing that,without hopefully breaking something else,or a magic fix of some sort.

Looking for ideas,any help welcome,as I can't even begin to think what to do at the minute.

My brain is currently melting.

I'll have a look tomorrow mate,I've had enough of it today.

Don't really want to go down the route of changing the housing really as I'm destined to break something else with my rage as it is.

Probably won't sleep too much tonight anyway,I seem to be smoking more,drinking more,eating less and sleeping less :grumpy:

As Karl said - looks like it will still be fine.

there's no pressure in the circuit - well there is in mine and TJ's because our engine's are shot.
I notice now my crankcase pressure makes my catchcan look like a success because it is spitting oil out of every orifice.

It will be fine the seal is below the broken bit just the clip might be a bit lose. You ain't having much luck with it recently are you

As Karl said - looks like it will still be fine.

there's no pressure in the circuit - well there is in mine and TJ's because our engine's are shot.
I notice now my crankcase pressure makes my catchcan look like a success because it is spitting oil out of every orifice.
Shot it is.Not even moved it in the last few months, Sure is a sad sight seeing it wasting away on the drive

Mine is still "okay" / (fun) to drive but considering no oil went in the catch can for a year and now 50cl in 2 months, after I ran it too low on oil. now it has too much positive crankcase pressure. same as you had, with dip stick puffing.