Stop the clock...Start the thread-My baby is home

tcg

Reaction score
Finally got my S3 home to roost,now the faffing starts...
DSC 0198

First polish :yes:
DSC 0200

Reactions: RSTHRILLER, 45bvtc and Sandra
Looks lovely. What plans you got? :) x

The car has had a stage 1 remap and milltek exhaust so no real upgrades for now,a few little cosmetic jobs but tyres first as it's got a 'selection box' of rubber on it:frowning:
Need to get a stock DV as it has an aftermarket one on and need to source a brake switch..
Obvious rust on roof rail as well,no doubt the list will be lengthening as the days tick by.
Popped into my local Audi dealership (Oxford) today to get the radio code just in case and they've booked it in for the coilpack recall.
Winner winner chicken dinner:cheerful:

Reactions: Sandra
When you are looking to get a brake switch try our parts request system. :) x

That's something I need to fathom out,just need to look into how it works :worried:

I have a perfect working stock dv for sale if you want it?

Bit of a mixed bag for my first week with my S3 home,had the embarrassment of having to drive to my local europarts,with the brake lights constantly on,to get a brake switch as mine had failed.
Then the good of having 4 new tyres fitted in place of the mix of old rubber on it,followed by the ugly when I had a chance to take a good look under the car when it was up on the ramp.
Yes,you've guessed it,our old favourite the oil leak,which turned out to be seeping from where some chemical metal had been applied to the sump,next to the drain plug :coldsweat: another job for the list!

So I spent some time this weekend having a bonding session with the car,polishing the wheels and shining up the 'face' of my S3.

And not forgetting the important mods,a bit of rough colouring in...DSC 01901 DSC 01951

At least I've made a start :grinning:

Took the S3 to Audi today for the coilpack recall and also had the dreaded health check done.

Here goes...

Front wishbone mounts will be one for the future along with the rear anti-roll bar and bushes.
One front spring not mounted correctly and one rear spring needs replacing.
Rear brake lines will need replacing in time.
Plus the odd spot of oil:anguished:

Will be booking it in for a cambelt/waterpump and sump change soon :dizzy:

Flowers for the girlfriend!

You will get there. It's a nice car and just needs a few things fixing. It be worth it in the end. Flowers for girlfriend is nice. I'm sure she will love them. Keep up the good work. :)

Reactions: 45bvtc and tcg
Thanks Sandra,
I think I'm over the initial shock.The people at Oxford Audi were very friendly and helpful.

And expensive no doubt:)

In some respects yes,the cambelt/waterpump change is £599 which is a bit pricey :openmouth: but they do give you a free MOT for the life of the car...just so they can fail it every year and take more of my girlfriends hard earned cash :blush:

But they will be charging me £85 an hour labour for the sump change which seems fair to me and that way its all guaranteed.

Plus the S3 was a bit of a celebrity at the dealership,the guy who did the recall check trained on them when he first started at Audi.

Last edited:
Did mine myself, cam belt kit, water pump, cost me £80 and just my time, bargain!!!

Not one for the purists but I've been searching everywhere for a dog guard for my S3 with no luck. Finally decided to take a punt on this one from ebay for £16...
DSC 0189

The brackets were supposed to fit onto the headrest supports but that way there was too many parts sticking out into the boot and the dog guard sat too far back from the rear seats.

After a bit of head scratching I worked out that the bottom rods were a similar size to the parcel shelf clips and fitted into the locating 'holes'. To make it more secure I test fitted it then cut down the vertical rods and secured them by drilling a hole in both plastic brackets that secure the lowest bar...
DSC 0192

Maybe more by luck than judgement after cutting the vertical rods I inverted them and the holes from the top, now at the bottom matched up with the holes I drilled in the plastic, secured by a couple of bolts/nuts...
DSC 0194

I bought some PVC sleeving and rubber end caps from ebay for a few quid and a length of pipe lagging, this is the result of my efforts...
DSC 0197

Hopefully doesn't look too tacky...
DSC 0199

It's not my birthday but hey ho, picked up my new aerial from Audi today...
DSC 0203

Now comes with a separate power wire for the aerial amplifier but it's not needed for the S3 8L, it's just for later models and aftermarket headunits.

HTH.

Now have old skool AM, 5Live, back in the game :yes:

Can I ask how much that was ?? Cheers :)

When I ordered the aerial there was a bit of confusion as to whether I had to order an aerial and also a separate seal and nut, or not. He ordered both but the additional seal/nut ( a returnable item) wasn't required, so I was refunded some money for that.

A word of warning though, when I ordered the aerial, the parts guy informed that the aerial was a 'no return' part so it is best to make sure you order the right one. I took my old aerial into the dealership and the guy took a part number from the aerial plug.

I didn't know,but suspected mine to be faulty. I had no AM reception and it made no difference whether my old aerial was plugged in or not. Since fitting I now have AM and FM has improved slightly :yahoo:

Also the actual base of the new aerial is smaller so the roof needed a good clean around the mounting hole :huh:

I paid £40 for the aerial.

HTH.

Out with the old and in with the new.

bye bye Bailey, Bailey goodbye...
DSC 02026

Just one for all you closet Bay City Rollers fans :blush:

Reactions: DCH
can I ask what DV you got is that a 710N or a 710P? I ordered a 710N but received a 710P - but there is forum chat which explains that the 710N actually has a stronger spring and diaphragm? also is it an original or OE copy? I think I got a non VAG version - my previous DV (I reckon) was getting stuck at an angle on occasion eg in the mornings?

can I ask what DV you got is that a 710N or a 710P? I ordered a 710N but received a 710P - but there is forum chat which explains that the 710N actually has a stronger spring and diaphragm? also is it an original or OE copy? I think I got a non VAG version - my previous DV (I reckon) was getting stuck at an angle on occasion eg in the mornings?

Nothing worse than being stuck at an angle, especially in the mornings :blink:

I got the revised DV (part no. W06A 145 710 P) from my local Audi dealership. There was nothing wrong with the Bailey DV, just after loads of reading I thought it best to change back to OEM and I'm not really into 'bling' DV's.

Haven't driven the car much since changing it, it seems just the same as before.

Bailey are very good quality, also being piston rather than diaphragm, they don't split or leak, I think I would have just painted it black. As for five live, I prefer talk sport myself:)

Bailey are very good quality, also being piston rather than diaphragm, they don't split or leak, I think I would have just painted it black. As for five live, I prefer talk sport myself:)

Don't doubt the quality, just prefer the oem look. Hopefully I'll find someone who's after a shiny Bailey and if the price is right we'll all be happy.

5Live just for football commentary, Talksport for idle chat :haha:

Saw these on ebay and as I thought they were a bargain I bid,I won...£20
DSC 02205

Not sure whether to keep as spares or swap with the chrome ones currently fitted.

Repeat after me...

I am not a hoarder :shutup2:

Oh no don't remove the ali mirrors, is something that is part of the S3 dna, unique to these cars.

Oh no don't remove the ali mirrors, is something that is part of the S3 dna, unique to these cars.

Don't worry mate,I'm not going to change just yet.It's just the start of my 'parts dept.' :yes:

Swap them over if/when it's time to sell.

Offered up a sacrafice to the gods of suspension this weekend...
DSC 0210

And with the addition of some magic beans as well,this was my reward for pacifying them...
DSC 0207

Bit of a difference in rear springs on the passenger side...
DSC 0209

#commonfault

Not surprising that the car feels better 'on the road' now :yes:

The bottom piece was 'welded' to the base plate,who knows where the top section was!

Was a bit of a pig compressing the springs enough to get them in,but physics won in the end :yes:

Just over a month into ownership of my S3 and it's no secret that I was gutted when I had to get rid of my GT4 so I have been struggling getting to love the S3.

Now that the rear suspension has had a refresh the car feels so much better 'planted' when driven with purpose :yes: but I still find the driving position a bit 'sit up and beg'.No doubt,as I'm 50,I'll appreciate that with age!

I'm getting to feel more at home driving/owning the S3 now,it just needs to be 'personalised' so that it feels like my car (if that makes sense).It's just things like valeting it enough times so it smells how 'my' cars smell inside.

And before you ask,it's smells fresh :yum:

Another thing that I like to do is put new plates on a car when I get it as this makes it more 'mine'.Chose to go with the carbon font so some weight saving there :blink:
Let's have a look at the gallery...
DSC 0218

And one from the rear...
DSC 0217

On the rear the previous plate had one screw snapped off so I decided to drill new mounting holes so they didn't effect the reg number,of course with number plate tape for 'belt & braces'.

Not sure whether to keep as spares or swap with the chrome ones currently fitted.

Chrome? Original ones were polished aluminium (mine were anyway on a 2002 S3) and very desirable and very expensive on eBay

My S3 Original Ad crop

Chrome? Original ones were polished aluminium (mine were anyway on a 2002 S3) and very desirable and very expensive on eBay

Sorry mate I was just using 'chrome' as a generic for polished metal. My ally ones could do with a polish really,must look into that sometime down the list.

As for polished ally mirrors over black ones,the shiny mirrors have won a stay of execution :cheerful:

Sorry mate I was just using 'chrome' as a generic for polished metal. My ally ones could do with a polish really,must look into that sometime down the list.

As for polished ally mirrors over black ones,the shiny mirrors have won a stay of execution :cheerful:

Phew... No worries, tcg; them aluminium ones are difficult to source and expensive to replace so just wanted to make you aware... :blush:

A great car the 8L S3, still miss mine some...

Phew... No worries, tcg; them aluminium ones are difficult to source and expensive to replace so just wanted to make you aware... :blush:

A great car the 8L S3, still miss mine some...

No worries mate,the mirrors are staying,I just need to get them polished up as they've dulled a bit.The more little things I sort out on my S3 the more I'm enjoying owning it :yes:

Had the boot liner arrive this weekend so now the S3 is kitted out for my faithful friend :dogface:
DSC 0185

I chose to have the option of dropping the rear seats and being able to lay the liner down on top of them,obviously doesn't cover all the whole of the seat backs when flat but does give some more protection...
DSC 0190

One partially satisfied customer :sadlike:...
DSC 0187

You can't please everyone!

Reactions: SteveMcB, superkarl and Alex C