Stop-start system

echo_mike

Reaction score
Hi,

Does oil and coolant still flow to through the turbo when the engine shuts off with the automatic stop-start system?

I'm a bit reluctant to use the stop-start as I'm not sure if the turbo is being harmed with the instant shut off of the fluids; does Audi have alternate pump that circulates oil and coolant through the turbo while the engine is temporarily off?

Do you guys use the stop-start system? Does it harm the turbo in the long run?

Cheers

3763bddfa3eb0e831d93a9a49aeeec806750fe5222c23f3096ebc6d4b3a7199e.jpg

Reactions: nadsi77 and veeeight
I have searched the forum and Google and had a look at all those threads before I posted, however didn't really find a definitive answer. Does it damage the turbo in the long run or not?

Liquidfusion, don't give me attitude!

Reactions: Cymru09
I have searched the forum and Google and had a look at all those threads before I posted, however didn't really find a definitive answer. Does it damage the turbo in the long run or not?

Liquidfusion, don't give me attitude!
As all modern engine tend to have a turbo's and start/stop systems, the definitive answer is that as your car has an electric water pump it should not cause any damage the turbo because the bearings will be cooled even though the engine is stopped...

I have searched the forum.....

Not hard enough, it seems.

Specifically, from the thread I linked:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-s3-start-stop-feature.211757/page-2#post-2266802

"......... there is an electrical coolant pump in circuit when the engine is switched off. Also, part of the oil system is also governed by an electric oil pump, though this is more in the piston cooling oil spray nozzles."

Why would you think that manufacturers wouldn't take precautions against component damage? If you're already convinced that it does do damage, then no amount of forum chatter is going to change your mind, simply reach over and disable S/S for every journey. Or but a Kufatec mod (details of this are on the forum, simply do a search ;) ).

Last edited:
Yea and that was YOUR and only comment on what I was looking for; I'm not going to rely on just one person's opinion; there's a lot of crap out there and everyone thinks they're an expert.

Don't bother posting if you're going to be a d*ck about it; it's not hard to just say "It's got an electric pump that circulates coolant when engine is off, so turbo is all good" and move on.

/thread

Don't say that, I like him!!

Mike we're just waiting for our cars so excuse the humour, I'm sure no one meant to offend.

I doubt the start stop system will harm the car otherwise it wouldn't be a big feature Audi are pushing forward.

Mike, please chill out, people are trying to help so please be a bit more laid back?

If you need ultimate answers best to try Audi Customer Services. customer.services@audi.co.uk or call them on 0800 699888

Although they did give me the wrong answer on an electrical question.

It's all good Steeve, no offence taken :). The topic has been answered so all members of the forum can benefit with the extra info and confirmation.

Reactions: steeve