Stop/Start...stopped

Colh

Reaction score
Had my car (2.0 TDI Ultra Sport 190 Avant manual) since June and just over 4500 miles on the clock now, and for the last 2 days the engine hasn't stopped when in neutral and at a standstill.

Its on my usual commute, and regular traffic lights etc but the engine keeps going. I understand when the aircon is blasting it sometimes won't stop, but its been set at a steady 21c in Eco mode.

Any ideas?

There are numerous things which can prevent it stopping the engine - a few that spring to mind:
- DPF regeneration
- engine cold
- A/C
- Disabled

I am not 100% if it's the same, but is here an A with a circle around it in the DIS? That defines if start/stop is active or not, and if there is a / through it something preventing it stopping.

Also it will not always stop if you only press brake pedal lightly. If it can activate - try pressing the brake pedal firmly and see if the engine stops then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's an A with a / through it. This came up in the height of summer when trying to cool the interior from 30c, but its not that warm now. Aircon isn't blasting at all.

The fan (DPF regen?) ran long and loud on Sunday - wonder if its related.

Possible - if you heard it long / loud on Sunday after switching the engine off, it's because the DPF regen process was interrupted. Do you normally do short or stop/start journeys?
The DPF regen does not usually cope well with them, and might need a longer run out to allow it to clear through properly.

Sunday was a shorter journey, 3-4 miles for about 10 mins.

Normal journey is 25+ miles on A roads, so 40-60mph, lasting about an hour.

It's to do with battery charge and how it's held the charge. In colder weather the battery will discharge quicker and it you have done a short journey the night before with lights and heat on the battery will not have as much charge in it as if you have done a long daytime trip the day before.

If you drive 1hr per day normally and it does not kick in after a couple days I'd say double check its not been inadvertently disabled then get it into the dealer to check?

Start/stop batteries are specific to compensate for those conditions, as are the starter motors and the alternators. If there has been a sudden change in the ambient temperature then this can cause the start/stop to change it's behaviour...

It kicked back into life on my journey home yesterday. I'm driving for about an hour twice a day, so its getting plenty of chance to charge.

In terms of weather, I'm in the midlands, so weather has been pretty much the same for days.

I'll keep an eye on it. Wouldn't expect the stop/start to stop working for several days as a result of a quick nip to the shops.

You sure you weren't just in Dynamic mode for example? mine doesn't do it when in that mode

No, I just have it in Auto mode.

After a day of stop/start working, it didn't kick in today. Usual commute, usual traffic, usual weather.